High School Is This Stunt Illegal For High School Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my team did it last year, we caught it at half level and then pushed up to a full. it was actually a switch-up ball-up. we started with left leg in, switched and balled and caught on the right leg. here is a video of it. watch the point stunt she makes it the most obvious to see.

Andre
Would this be legal under AACCA rules? I was told a tick up was legal because it started with one foot on the ground. So this would be fine too right?

Andre
Would this be legal under AACCA rules? I was told a tick up was legal because it started with one foot on the ground. So this would be fine too right?

Illegal because of the ball up. Rule F5d - The top person cannot perform any skill (twist, toe touch, ball‐up, etc.) during the toss. This rule does not apply to a “Quick Toss”, which can perform skills on the way up.

Illegal because of the ball up. Rule F5d - The top person cannot perform any skill (twist, toe touch, ball‐up, etc.) during the toss. This rule does not apply to a “Quick Toss”, which can perform skills on the way up.
hm interesting. we were never called on it. maybe because we were competing at non AACCA events?

I have them b/c I coach, but I do agree, to get the rules more widely followed, they need to publish them and not just send a booklet to coaches!!! Half the time, the AD has no idea what to do w/ it and it ends up in a recycling bin!!!

But why is a tick up legal then? At the coaches meeting at UCA nationals they said that since the flier was starting with one foot on the ground, she wasnt in a stunt yet, so when she lands at the top, she hasn't done any stunt yet.

Wouldn't this be legal for the same reason a quick toss with a ball is legal? Why should it matter how many feet are on the ground or where the bases are tossing from on the flier's body?

I thought that rule was referring to tossing a flier from a load position, so 2 feet. That kind of ball up would be illegal.

But why is a tick up legal then? At the coaches meeting at UCA nationals they said that since the flier was starting with one foot on the ground, she wasnt in a stunt yet, so when she lands at the top, she hasn't done any stunt yet.

The rule I cited is for multi-based tosses that end in a stunt or loading position, which a switch/tick up or ball up is. Switching legs on the way up isn't considered a trick, but ballling up is and specifically stated as something that cannot be done.

Why is a question for Jim Lord, [email protected], as I have no part in creating the rules.

Here's the complete rule:

F. Tosses (including tosses from the performing surface)
5. In multi‐based tosses that land in a stunt or loading position the following rules apply:

a. Must be caught by at least two of the original tossers and a spotter who must be in position to protect the head, neck and shoulders.
b. The toss may not be directed so that the bases must travel to catch the top person.
c. The maximum distance allowed between the highest point of the base and the lowest point of a top person’s body cannot exceed approximately twelve inches.
d. The top person cannot perform any skill (twist, toe touch, ball‐up, etc.) during the toss. This rule does not apply to a “Quick Toss”, which can perform skills on the way up.
e. The top person cannot travel over or under another person.
f. The top person cannot be caught in a prone position.
g. The top person may not land in a basket toss loading position from a toss.​

Wouldn't this be legal for the same reason a quick toss with a ball is legal? Why should it matter how many feet are on the ground or where the bases are tossing from on the flier's body?

A quick toss is a specific exception to the rule(s) making this kind of skill illegal. Why would need to be answered by Jim.

I thought that rule was referring to tossing a flier from a load position, so 2 feet. That kind of ball up would be illegal.

The section, F, is referring to anything in which the top person is off the ground and not touching another person.

Andre so if bases toss a flier from a load position, and she kept a straight body position, they could catch her feet again in a load?

Andre so if bases toss a flier from a load position, and she kept a straight body position, they could catch her feet again in a load?

There's not enough info for to give a definite answer. It can be legal if it is caught by 2 people with a spot and doesn't move, go too high, travel over anyone, land in a prone position, or land in a basket toss load.

I try not to say anything is legal without seeing a video because it's unlikely that I'm picturing exactly what's being described.

Question, are hitch kick double baskets legal for high school teams when looking at UCA rules??

Question, are hitch kick double baskets legal for high school teams when looking at UCA rules??

The rule limits you to 2 1/4 twist, but there isn't a limit on the number of skills preceding the twist. Some people will call the way most All Stars do them 2 1/2 twists and some won't.

The rule limits you to 2 1/4 twist, but there isn't a limit on the number of skills preceding the twist. Some people will call the way most All Stars do them 2 1/2 twists and some won't.

Alright thanks!!

Back