All-Star Jamfest Supernationals And Special Needs Teams- No Jackets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I say rank them. If they don't want to be ranked, they could exhibition. If they're in a competition they're in it to win...not to just be a heartwarming division. (Which they are, I love special needs teams.) I think it would be the most fair to treat them as you would treat any other division. I know I'd want that for my child.

I agree with ranking the teams. Kids with special needs want to be treated just like everyone else. Also, the argument was made that the kids on the teams have different ability/skill levels....sounds a lot like Rec or HS teams where the coach had a wide range to work with (on one HS team I worked with there was a girl who couldn't do a cartwheel and one with a standing full). Special Needs teams who don't want to compete can exhibition. But if they want to compete-score them and rank them, declare a winner in their division and give them trophies and jackets!

I get that they want to be treated the same but i feel like it would be very difficult to rank considering its pretty hard to rank them when say your ranking children in a wheelchair compared to all able bodies. Or even a child who is deaf and blind compared to a higher functioning child. Just trying to put in a different perspective. :)

I get that they want to be treated the same but i feel like it would be very difficult to rank considering its pretty hard to rank them when say your ranking children in a wheelchair compared to all able bodies. Or even a child who is deaf and blind compared to a higher functioning child. Just trying to put in a different perspective. :)

When I judge, I don't compare one team to another. I compare the team on the floor to the score sheet. So I won't be comparing a team with a kid in a wheelchair to a team with a kid who is blind (and some teams may have both!). What I'll be doing is looking at the team on the floor, and how well they hit the score sheet with the athletes they have. That means a team with 3 kids in wheel chairs may be able to score higher in stunting b/c of their creativity and ability to "think outside of the box" in terms of working with the abilities of their athletes.

When I judge, I don't compare one team to another. I compare the team on the floor to the score sheet. So I won't be comparing a team with a kid in a wheelchair to a team with a kid who is blind (and some teams may have both!). What I'll be doing is looking at the team on the floor, and how well they hit the score sheet with the athletes they have. That means a team with 3 kids in wheel chairs may be able to score higher in stunting b/c of their creativity and ability to "think outside of the box" in terms of working with the abilities of their athletes.
I never thought of it that way! I just know from my experiences through working with our special needs kids that some can't do much when it comes to hitting the score sheet because there mental and physical capabilities aren't strong enough.

Give them jackets, really!?!? If you give a team a jacket that enters in a non-worlds division just to get one then why not give the special needs team one.

I never thought of it that way! I just know from my experiences through working with our special needs kids that some can't do much when it comes to hitting the score sheet because there mental and physical capabilities aren't strong enough.

What you need to do is construct a routine that highlights their strengths and downplays their weaknesses, just like you would with any other team. If you have a kid in a wheelchair you need to think about ways to use that to your advantage. Take a look at the group of kids you have and see what they do really well. Are they really loud and spirited? Use that to your advantage-have them do a great cheer in the routine. If your kids get flustered with lots of formation changes, do it creatively-so that your transitions are slower, or so that it gives the illusion of a formation change, when really just a few kids are moving.

I understand what you are saying, but I think the jackets would be a nice touch and would not cost Jamfest much. I am disappointed..I know Cheersport does give jackets to special needs teams. Thanks for answering my question.
I want to say Cheersport even awards then the Leather-style Level 5 jacket.

i dont like how they are ranked/placed at some compeitions, but they want to be like any other cheerleader...and thats what happens for every other cheerleader! and i guess, if that was me, i would want to be treated like everyone else. but from my point of view, its not my favorite thing. my mom works with special needs kids so i understand. or how about first place gets a jacket and 2nd and lower get shirts?! i mean it doesnt have to be a huge great thing, just a little something to recognize them! also, usually even if they do rank them...they usually get recognized for their hardwork and stuff at the award ceremonies.

The one issue I have with ranking is that I feel like it would be difficult to some degree? Based on the capabilities of what you're dealing with? I mean yes you judge them on their skills, but would you factor in those kids who need a presence on the floor for safety? If a coach volunteer has to help? There are certain logistics I'm not sure would work exactly? Or maybe I'm over-thinking..

Jackets should be there without question though..

i feel the same way! i was actually thinking this exact thing while reading this thread! ive seen like a whole senior team of girls out there before, its so sweet, but how could you judge that?! also on top of what you said, there are some kids whos disabilities arent as bad as others. like i know girls who are mentally okay, but they have a physical disability. so, technically it wouldnt be fair? with the level of disabilities it could be like a level 3 athlete against a rec team or a level 1. maybe they should make divsions?

Back