All-Star Juggling Cheer And A Spring Sport

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 12, 2010
Anyone have any experience with this? My sister cheers but also started lacrosse. She also plans on doing a fall sport along with cheer. Shes only in 6th grade, so obviously she will miss lax for a cheer as lax isnt as important right now, but what if she ever played varsity a few years down the road and became a starter, would i make her miss lax for cheer still? Practices i can see would be possible, but games would be hard. Any help?

My opinion is she needs to narrow down her choices. Lax is great in high school and would recommend that. If she loves cheer too you could look at all star, but most high schools won't let them do both if they conflict in any way. once you commit to a high school sport it's that sport all the way. No missing anything. It's good to look ahead. When you get a little closer check with the coaches at the school and athletic director to see what he recommends.

I think it's a state highschool rule you can't be involved in two sports in one season that are affiliated with the school or sponsored by the school it could be different in other states though. But she If she does favor one over the other which she might have to for conflicts, she could have "consequences" like sit out a game or two or not start or something. I do soccer in the spring and fall cheer and winter basketball and its hard but it's all different seasons. You just have to organize your time well and make sure you're getting enough time for your studies in is the biggest thing

I think it's a state highschool rule you can't be involved in two sports in one season that are affiliated with the school or sponsored by the school it could be different in other states though. But she If she does favor one over the other which she might have to for conflicts, she could have "consequences" like sit out a game or two or not start or something. I do soccer in the spring and fall cheer and winter basketball and its hard but it's all different seasons. You just have to organize your time well and make sure you're getting enough time for your studies in is the biggest thing
What state? I have a friend who plays golf, is in band, and does cross country which are all the same season.... She just does her cross country workout before band and then band then school and golf practice is after school. So it's definitely allowed here

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We have trouble sometimes with kids doing several sports because of practises, games and competitions. Same goes with concerts or other activities.

But from my experience there are kids that can handle all this very well and miss just a few practises, and there are kids that really struggle.
It depends on good time management and how passionate they are about it.

I've did at least 2 other sports every year I did cheer so it's definitely possible, she just needs to figure out which is her priority. I used to ski 6-7 days a week on top of cheer, but when I realized cheer was more important to me, I switched to my school's ski racing team (way less competitive) so I could commit to the more hours necessary for a higher level cheer team. If these teams are with school then they probably practice earlier on in the evening and very rarely on weekends (from my experience at least!) so if you look for a gym with an appropriate team for her that practices late and on weekends, that could make it easier too!

I did field hockey, indoor, and outdoor track in hs as well as all-stars. I never had any issues. It was a lot of driving and long nights doing hw in the car, but I wouldn't change it. I made sure both coaches had copies of my schedules. My school sports were done practice at 430, and games sometimes 530/6ish. Cheer wasn't usually till 6/7 ish and was about 20 mins away so that gave me plenty of time to transition. I did have Sunday night practices for field hockey which would sometimes overlap, but since that was in the fall (aka pre-comp season) and they'd only overlap by like 15-20 minutes my coaches were okay with it.

However, I coach hs lax now and would make my kids choose one or the other. We have weekend practices for Monday games which would conflict with competitions in March/April and our practices are typically until 530-6. Being in NH, we have to travel upwards of 1.5 hrs to a game occasionally so may not get home until 9ish. I wouldn't keep a varsity player who may have to miss some of those games and leave practices early, JV I would consider, but with the understanding she may not get as much play time and might never move up to Varsity. Since she's so young though, I'd say do both for now and see what happens. Her interests may change and she might decide to do one, or the other, or none, ya never know!

What state? I have a friend who plays golf, is in band, and does cross country which are all the same season.... She just does her cross country workout before band and then band then school and golf practice is after school. So it's definitely allowed here

You're from Colombia right? Maybe it's my district or school. We have strict rules about it here. I guess something happened an they had to make a rule about it. They made it very clear at the CAPS meeting (standard rules and drug testing, idk if they call it the same where you live) that we could only do one sport each season, they even strict about like with our varsity badketball if they go to sectionals or Reginionals or state it interferes with like girls soccer and they missed their soccer tryouts so they had to like individually try out. I guess it's just inconvenient or something.

You're from Colombia right? Maybe it's my district or school. We have strict rules about it here. I guess something happened an they had to make a rule about it. They made it very clear at the CAPS meeting (standard rules and drug testing, idk if they call it the same where you live) that we could only do one sport each season, they even strict about like with our varsity badketball if they go to sectionals or Reginionals or state it interferes with like girls soccer and they missed their soccer tryouts so they had to like individually try out. I guess it's just inconvenient or something.

Yeah I was on my phone so I couldn't see where you were from! sorry but MSHSAA doesn't have any rules about it as far as I can see, they do have rules about doing an "allstar" team and a HS team (but cheer isn't a sport so it doesn't count). It must be your district, or I missed something

Yeah I was on my phone so I couldn't see where you were from! sorry but MSHSAA doesn't have any rules about it as far as I can see, they do have rules about doing an "allstar" team and a HS team (but cheer isn't a sport so it doesn't count). It must be your district, or I missed something

I meant highschool cheer I guess I should have specified but no there's no rule regarding outside sports/allstar cheer with highschool sports

Back