All-Star Junior 5 At Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have to argue that the same issues that could happen at "The Cheerleading Worlds" could happen at JamFest Super Nationals, NCA All Stars Nationals, UCA International All Star, and etc. Aren't ages 5 - 25 at all these events?

At normal competition, lets say age range is 5-25....the ratio of 5-12 vs. 13-25 however would hypothetically be something like 70:30? 60:40? I cant speak for exact stats but I would think with tiny, mini, youth, + junior, the percentage of younger athletes would be equal or most likely higher than the number of senior athletes.
Worlds ratio of these age groups would be MUCH different though. Factor in all of the international teams that often times consist of college aged & beyond, and it could be age 12/13 - 45+. Even if you add 20 junior teams into the stats, elementary/middle schoolers would be the extreme minority compared to the percentage of athletes age 15+ . Factor in how much of the demographic is technically legally above drinking age to begin with (whether in the US or in their own country) & the number of unsupervised teenagers in large groups let loose over Mouseland and it can equate to situations....not that it doesnt happen elsewhere, but food for thought.
Gotta factor in age ratios, not just age ranges when looking into the atmosphere.

Also in regards to the atmosphere, lets just say that what is normal for one culture may be vastly different for others....

I don't want to see Jr's back at Worlds. There isn't enough room. If it was a stand alone event, like ICU is, then I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

I can't speak for CSP but I have to assume one of the bigger reasons she never brought juniors to worlds is because of the crossovers. If this new Junior Worlds thing has crossover limitations similar to worlds and the Summit, CSP might have to choose between crossovers or the competition, a decision I could see her going either way on.

Earlier tonight in the ASGA group CSP admitted that 6 years ago she was against Junior Worlds however she has changed her mind and also went on to say "things have changed drastically from our team median age to stunt difficulty...I applaud this decision" I guess we will see how this all plays out. I'm sure if she has changed her mind there must be other industry leaders who have done so as well.

I remember when I went to worlds as a spectator juniors competed at Indiana Jones. There wouldn't be an issue with space since it is held at a different venue.

I mainly liked the way juniors were chosen their last year for the reduced amount of teams/bids given. It made it more prestigious IMO. To be honest, I don't really care how many advanced to finals. The way international teams are chosen for finals doesn't really bother me - I actually like it. I think the international division is the hardest division to be successful in because of the 3 team per country rule. It's harder to make finals and it is more impressive to me.

I just don't want 50 extra teams there because of juniors. I want Worlds to be more prestigious and harder to get to. Treat it like it's really the best of the best - not a competition where teams get to go just for the experience. (I'm mainly talking about US gyms. I know a million people are going to quote me saying how "we should give everyone a chance to go to worlds for the experience" but I don't think so. It's like a weird side umbrella of the "Participation Medal" thing.)

Edited bc holy typos. I obviously can't type and skype.

My opinion but a lot of those international teams really struggle to get a bid to worlds. We all have to keep in mind that the us is pretty ahead in terms of cheer compared to most countries. So if we tightened it up and made it any more prestigious than it already is it'll be 95% us teams 5% international. And that's not worlds, a competition like that is called nationals...

Like I said just my opinion, I just wanted to branch off of what you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to see Jr's back at Worlds. There isn't enough room. If it was a stand alone event, like ICU is, then I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

Unless they decide to move the hypothetical junior division comp to the Hyperion in Hollywood Studios. Frozen Fever is set to wrap up here soon and Disney will have a large theatre just sitting. They have talked about doing special trailers and shorts for movies but I can also see the money signs flipping in Iger's eyes every time cheer or dance hits the property.
I was one of the "no juniors" crowd until I saw what it did to the junior division. Everyone talks about Y5 "dying", nothing beats what happened almost overnight to J5. Does anyone remember the excitement we all had over GBE getting bronze out of nowhere? Or watching Lites and Cells go head to head? Now no one gives two flips about junior teams unless you have a kid on said teams.
I would like to see them back if it means Y5 finally gets put to sleep. I will always maintain there is no reason kids under 11 should be racing to get fulls. Yes you will have the special kid that is advanced (just like gymnastics) and they can go to J5. The rest with the barely making it around, ankles crossed, landing with my knees locked ones can keep working towards good technique.
I would also like to see a bottom age on it (11) but that's just me.

Unless they decide to move the hypothetical junior division comp to the Hyperion in Hollywood Studios. Frozen Fever is set to wrap up here soon and Disney will have a large theatre just sitting. They have talked about doing special trailers and shorts for movies but I can also see the money signs flipping in Iger's eyes every time cheer or dance hits the property.
I was one of the "no juniors" crowd until I saw what it did to the junior division. Everyone talks about Y5 "dying", nothing beats what happened almost overnight to J5. Does anyone remember the excitement we all had over GBE getting bronze out of nowhere? Or watching Lites and Cells go head to head? Now no one gives two flips about junior teams unless you have a kid on said teams.
I would like to see them back if it means Y5 finally gets put to sleep. I will always maintain there is no reason kids under 11 should be racing to get fulls. Yes you will have the special kid that is advanced (just like gymnastics) and they can go to J5. The rest with the barely making it around, ankles crossed, landing with my knees locked ones can keep working towards good technique.
It feels like they've been setting things up for the return of juniors for the past two seasons now. Putting restrictions on Y5 tumbling, adding a JrR5...
If a bottom age was hypothetically set for J5, would you also be in favor of raising the bottom age for seniors?

My opinion but a lot of those international teams really struggle to get a bid to worlds. We all have to keep in mind that the us is pretty ahead in terms of cheer compared to most countries. So if we tightened it up and made it any more prestigious than it already is it'll be 95% us teams 5% international. And that's not worlds, a competition like that is called nationals...

Like I said just my opinion, I just wanted to branch off of what you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Australia there are nearly more At Large bids than there are level 5 teams. However yes, full or partial paid bids are hard to come by

I think if we brought back Junior 5, it would help with the 'fetus on worlds senior teams' problem, Jr 14/u and change Sr to 15/o. And in general help grow the Junior 5 division.

I don't think there should be a bottom age for the junior teams, because if there is no Youth 5 then where will the 10/u kids with fulls go?

I think if we brought back Junior 5, it would help with the 'fetus on worlds senior teams' problem, Jr 14/u and change Sr to 15/o. And in general help grow the Junior 5 division.

I don't think there should be a bottom age for the junior teams, because if there is no Youth 5 then where will the 10/u kids with fulls go?

I think, like people have said, that there would be fewer 10y/o getting full and hopefully perfecting ALL skills of level 4, which would also be good for the future of tumbling in the sport. It also wouldn't kill them to have another year or two on a level 4 team - it would most likely make them more all around athletes and better in all areas rather than just tumbling because thats exactly what comes with experience.

I have no opinion on this until I know exactly what CU's tweet meant. Not enough info for me yet. However, EPIC Brands already puts on a really great competition for Junior teams called Future 5. It is grown each year and I think 12 teams will be a part of it this year. It isn't centrally located and takes place mid-season but this EP already has a great junior 5 competition in place and I hate to see it upstaged by "another" EP.

Truthfully, I'm not even sure how I feel about this. With CP aging off youth this year, I knew we are 'worlds age eligible', but I don't see her going on LOT next season. The past 2 years, I have considered Summit our age group version of Worlds. They have to earn a bid, compete and place high enough to move on, etc. So I guess I don't understand the push. If both Jr 5 and Sr 5 go to worlds and no crossovers are allowed, I do see it being the death of Y5 just because of the numbers of kids needed to fill both teams. Y5 has been such a great experience for CP, and I would hate for kids not to experience that, but there would be Jr5R to fill in the gaps. I can't see it working for 2016 because of teams already being set, but I can see teams being picked next year with this idea in mind if it hasn't officially passed already.

Against, if only for the Long Term Athlete Development Model. (LTAD Stages | canadiansportforlife.ca

Kids that young shouldn't be competing at that high of a level, even if they're good enough, and even though they already are at Summit. Too much pressure, and potentially too much pressure from coaches that could damage their still growing bodies.

But I know Suzie's Mom needs little Suzie to have a ring for every finger, so she needs to start young. ;)

Back