All-Star Junior Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 9, 2014
So I made a junior 4 team at my gym and I don't really like it because I can't fly and the girls are really little (young and short) I think the junior age range should be changed I have nothing in common with a large part of the team. I try to keep a positive attitude because I loved flying and being on a senior team also basing is not my thing.. help/opinions

Do you actually not like the team, or are you just upset because you are not flying? I think you really need to evaluate the reasons for you negative feelings toward the team. If it is just about flying, then it's something you can change by changing you own attitude. If it is truly about the fact that the girls are too young, then that is something you will either have to decide to tough out, or decide this team isn't for you. Honestly, it seems to me like you are just upset about not flying and looking for some other reason not to like your team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flying isn't everything. It's good to be flexible and be able to do any position. Not only does it help the coaches but you improve as an overall athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of off topic but, related....I was surprised when cp was asked by a coach how tall DH and I were. My guess is they were trying to determine if she would be a good candidate for a back spot and then when they asked her age, decided she had finished growing. I have a feeling it isn't uncommon for these coaches to look at parental height to determine if they should give a flyer some basing experience. Not that this is your case but, it would be interesting to know if coaches look at siblings and parents during the 11-14 year old stage to try to determine the best placement for what they feel might be their future height and body type.

Kind of off topic but, related....I was surprised when cp was asked by a coach how tall DH and I were. My guess is they were trying to determine if she would be a good candidate for a back spot and then when they asked her age, decided she had finished growing. I have a feeling it isn't uncommon for these coaches to look at parental height to determine if they should give a flyer some basing experience. Not that this is your case but, it would be interesting to know if coaches look at siblings and parents during the 11-14 year old stage to try to determine the best placement for what they feel might be their future height and body type.
Good luck if they tried that with me- both my parents are about 6ft, and I'm an adorable 5'5". :D

You have to be honest with yourself about why you don't like the team- is it REALLY because of age (which is a possibility), or are you upset you're not flying (probably BECAUSE there are lots of younger girls on the team). Only one of these can REALLY change.

It's not easy being the oldest, especially if you're the ONLY oldest. Have you talked to your coaches about their expectations? Maybe they're trying to use this as an opportunity for you to grow as a leader. Also- how much younger are some of these girls on the team? Are you 14 with 8 year olds? 11?

As a coach of younger athletes who all want to fly and an athlete myself I have to tell you that as much as you want to fly now its in your best interest, and obviously your coaches, for you to base this year. Basing makes you so much stronger which will help with getting new tumbling skills as well. It also gives you a new perspective in the stunt that could possibly help when your on a senior team and get the chance to fly. Also a junior 4? Yes girl! You're obviously a talented athlete show them your a well rounded one as well!

Parental height is not always a predictor of a kids full grown height and I really don't think coaches should use projections based on it in decision making. I have heard that some gymnastics gyms exclude 5-6 year olds from pre-team invites because the parents are tall - thats really extreme.

All in all - minus the "I want to fly" issue, you can be on a senior team with young girls too... With that being said, you have to be able to do a variety of positions, end of story. A coaches worst nightmare is miss I don't want to do anything except fly.

With that being said, I don't know how old you are, but obviously no more then 14. If you are 14, you are middle ground for a senior team. A junior team yes you are the ceiling. When you are 18, you may have 10-12 year olds on your team, so are you quitting then? Also, what is the average age of the team? Are we talking 6 year olds on Juniors? Are we talking you just want to fly on the senior team?

There are many more factors.. your gym, your teams overall average talent, your friends, your view. I personally think a J4 team is great, but then again I can see if you feel it's you, another girl your age and everyone else under 11... I would be a little leary too. But you need to keep an open mind and if you are not willing, your gym isn't for you. Or maybe cheering isn't for you.

In any event, we have spoken the age route 100 times on this board and everyone has an opinion, but some gyms would be extremely limited to field level appropriate teams without the "and under" classification.

Last edited:
Good luck if they tried that with me- both my parents are about 6ft, and I'm an adorable 5'5". :D

You have to be honest with yourself about why you don't like the team- is it REALLY because of age (which is a possibility), or are you upset you're not flying (probably BECAUSE there are lots of younger girls on the team). Only one of these can REALLY change.

It's not easy being the oldest, especially if you're the ONLY oldest. Have you talked to your coaches about their expectations? Maybe they're trying to use this as an opportunity for you to grow as a leader. Also- how much younger are some of these girls on the team? Are you 14 with 8 year olds? 11?

my dad is 6' 5." My mom is 5'0" and that's probably pushing it. I had a really early growth spurt and they thought I'd be a giant anddddd I peaked at 5'3."

Parental height is not always a predictor of a kids full grown height and I really don't think coaches should use projections based on it in decision making. I have heard that some gymnastics gyms exclude 5-6 year olds from pre-team invites because the parents are tall - thats really extreme.

It sure isn't.

Mom: 5'9
Dad: 5'8

Brother: 5'9

Then here's me over here at 4'11.

Parental height is not an accurate indicator, I don't know any coaches who actually use that when deciding who will/won't fly. I'm just under 5'8, and my sister is 4'11. And we have the same parents. Our mom is 5'3 and our dad is 5'9. However my sister has some kind of growth disorder so that plays into her height a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling this happened to DD. She was in a "hot shots" class at 4 (it was for kids who were too advanced to preschool/kinder gym but too young to be on a team). We moved to a new gym/area where they put her in their equivalent program. But when it came time for everyone her age to move to pre-team, they placed her in the advanced rec class. The gym's reasoning was that CP didn't seem as motivated and focused as the other kids so they wanted to see her grow in the sport in the rec class for awhile. The whole time her coach is explaining this to me, I remember watching 1 new pre-team kid hang upside down at the bars station pretending to be a monkey and 2 kids roll around on the floor playing bumper logs. Yup, those were some focused 5 year olds. ;)

I always joke that they just wanted to see how CP would physically grow. I am 5'4" and hubby is 5'9", but suddenly CP was no longer pre-team material after my 6' dad and 6'2" brother visited and took her to class for a week.

But, to the OP, try to use this season as a learning experience. If you continue in this sport until you are 18, you may eventually find yourself in this same scenario. You will be an asset to all of your future teams if you can both base and fly with a smile. Use this time to work on your leadership skills with your younger teammates. If you show your coaches that you are a mature and helpful member of your junior team, they will be more willing to move you to an older team in the future. But if you show your coaches that you will only begrudgingly base and can't be a leader to your younger teammates, they may think you do not have the maturity to be on a senior team.

Last edited:
It's never fun having to switch spots around. I'm flying again this year because I'm in junior age eligibility but I'm on a senior team and I'm pretty tiny for my age (13). However, last year on J2 I did both on and off, and it hurt when they told me to base. I understand. Try to cooperate and basing- personally, it was a lot more rewarding then flying (and I still love flying!), like I loved the feeling of keeping my flyer in the air, it made me feel so strong. I actually asked if I could base on my senior team and my coach laughed in my face. Try basing, and try to talk to some of your teammates even if they're little, kind of mentor them, and if you can't mesh with them/feel awkward, ask your gym about the senior team before you switch just because you want to fly. If you're in the younger age range of the junior spectrum it might be kinda weird to be with high schoolers. If you're in 8th or 7th it might not be that bad. Give it a chance first.

So I made a junior 4 team at my gym and I don't really like it because I can't fly and the girls are really little (young and short) I think the junior age range should be changed I have nothing in common with a large part of the team. I try to keep a positive attitude because I loved flying and being on a senior team also basing is not my thing.. help/opinions

As the mom , of the youngest child that is on a Junior team, I need to ask you to give the younger girls a chance. Don't write them off just because they are younger. The relationships that could be formed will not be the same as you have similar aged friends, but there is a common ground that can be found and friendships to be made. It is a long season, and it is so much easier with a bonded team.

Back