All-Star Just Throw The Skill!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 26, 2010
As the safety of our athletes is becoming a big concern to our industry leaders, how do we feel about coaches who tell athletes to just throw skills?
I was recently at a competition on the West Coast where i walked past a coach telling a young athlete to just throw their last pass because "its at the end of the routine, so it doesn't matter if you hurt yourself" i could tell by this child's face that they were not ready to throw the skill. Turns out they faked it anyway.

My point is, how do we ensure the safety of our athletes who are being trained by less educated coaches
Or new coaches? An athlete puts a lot of trust in their coach, i know if i could hurt being told to throw a skill i wasn't ready for, i'd be worried.

Interested as an athlete to hear from point of views from other coaches or parents.

If I heard a coach say to my cp to throw a skill and it doesn't matter if u get hurt, I would confront the coach ASAP! No coach should ever tell an athlete that and be serious.

Safety should be the #1 priority, not how many points they get for tumbling passes...

Sometimes athletes can be big babies about throwing skills that they are perfectly capable of doing. Depending on the athlete and their skill level I think its perfectly acceptable to tell them to just throw the skill.
I think it was the " it doesn't matter if you get hurt" part people are objecting too.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If it is a skill that has been properly taught and the athlete has done it numerous times with proper technique then I understand the idea of telling them to throw it. Sometimes people can scare themselves over little things, I've done it many times. However, the "it doesn't matter if you get hurt" part, no matter the skill, would fly with me.

This kind of bothers me. I understand it is frustrating when kids are not throwing skills they are perfectly capable of doing. BUT the bottom line is that they must not truly be ready to "throw" that skill in a choreographed routine. Perfection before progression. If a kid isn't confident in the skill, pushing them to chuck it in a routine is first and foremost unsafe, a risk for tumbling deductions, and can even cause a dreaded "mental block". Obviously, each situation is different and we will never know the dynamic of this conversation between coach and athlete...but personally, I feel each athlete should be confident with their passes before they are hitting the competition warm up floor.

Back