High School Kick Double Baskets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2012
Is anyone else still upset about Highschool teams not being allowed to do them? They were one of my favorite parts of our routines in the past and everyone loved them!

I feel it's a skill that not many competed safely and I didn't see many teams in my area even compete them. But now you will be able to see varying skills like hitch kick fulls done pretty well :)

Alot of teams at the competitions we've competed at in Alabama have had them. I understand that alot of teams may not have, but it's been extremely hard getting our girls to stop at 1 instead of 2 spins.

In order to score in the 9-10 range now, the scoring rubric states 3 (or more) skills with 1 twisting element. I'm really curious/excited to see what teams come up with to max out basket scores!

Alot of teams at the competitions we've competed at in Alabama have had them. I understand that alot of teams may not have, but it's been extremely hard getting our girls to stop at 1 instead of 2 spins.
My old high school is having the same problem. the flyers are having a hard time stopping their rotation because they have not done just 1 twist in a few years.

My old high school is having the same problem. the flyers are having a hard time stopping their rotation because they have not done just 1 twist in a few years.

Yeah, one of our girls is a really fast spinner so she sometimes over rotates a 3rd spin accidentally. It's really tough getting them to be able to stop.

In order to score in the 9-10 range now, the scoring rubric states 3 (or more) skills with 1 twisting element. I'm really curious/excited to see what teams come up with to max out basket scores!
I'm thinking we're going to see some old school Memphis style baskets brought back. A while back schools from that area used to do toetouch fulls, full toetouch, etc. I think people will get more creative then just having the standard kick double that we've grown used to!

Its not a huge deal. I mean when i cheered highschool we only tossed one kick double basket and it was only because we had the three strongest bases under it. If it was a skill that everyone could compete then I would have cared about keeping it in.

Seriously, anything with doubles was a risk that NFHS was not willng to take. I feel like while when executed well was great, most do not execute well and injuries/concussions were at a high.

I coached at a school as an assistant and the competition coach. The head coach INSISTED we needed these doubles in. Mentally the girls just were not there and when I suggested single twisting or using a different dismount skill since we already showed single full downs from stretches, it was a HUGE fight! Needless to say, we had 1 girl do it and everyone else fake it..

So anyways.. after my rant, while I will miss some nicely executed kick doubles and double downs, I would rather them gone!

I think it is for the best that double downs and kick doubles are gone
so many backspots got concussions and or broken noses from them its not even funny. many times coaches will have a girl doubling even if her normal full downs are sketchy. I think this new rule is so much better it will save many girls from some scary concussions

I agree! The new rules I feel limit the performance of some teams, like if you have a good coach they aren't going to let you perform this skill if you're not ready for it so I don't see that safety is as big of an issue but it is important. They also took away 720's(double downs) standing fulls and running doubles! ):

I agree! The new rules I feel limit the performance of some teams, like if you have a good coach they aren't going to let you perform this skill if you're not ready for it so I don't see that safety is as big of an issue but it is important. They also took away 720's(double downs) standing fulls and running doubles! ):
Standing fulls are still legal, and running doubles became illegal LONG ago.

Running doubles have been like 5 years at least! I put it out of my mind it's been so long and it hasn't been relevant!

Back