Kickovers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 7, 2013
In a bridge kickover, do you kick your leg then push off the other one, or do you push off the other leg then kick it over ? Im trying to learn, cause I kinda just skipped over this whole process and went straight to bhs but now we have to do one in our routine .

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I'm not an expert on anything, but my daughter found watching tutorials helpful if she needed some pointers other than what she was getting from her coaches. My daughter, who is not on Fb, said to tell you a powerful kick from your leader leg, followed by an almost immediate hard push off from the follow leg is a good combination. She, also, said getting your shoulders above your hands is where she struggled, because of shoulder flexibility. She had the power in her legs, but would collapse mid air because of the strain on her wrists and forearms. Once she forced her shoulders back, she went right over. Good luck!
How to Do a Backbend Kickover: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Ditto the above for how to kick. You also need to push your shoulders back away from your feet, otherwise the weight of your body will stay on the same side as your feet, making it much harder to kick over. You'll need a lot of shoulder flexibility for this, so keep stretching too.

Try kicking off of a block to start, so that it's easier to kick over. This should give you the feel of what to do. As this get easier, continue the drill kicking off of a lower block until you can do it from the floor.

Use a panel mat against a wall. (It's against the wall so there is no risk of it sliding away from you) Push up tp a bridge with your feet on the mat, hands on the floor.

Walk your hands in a bit, while keeping your legs straight and together. This will make sure your shoulders are as open as possible.

Lift your kicking leg up, keeping it straight, maintaining your balance. Then drive your kick leg over, while pushing through your support leg. Think of the kick and push as kicking up into a "backward handstand" of sorts.

After you can get over multiple times with the whole mat, unfold it section by section, until you can do it on the floor!

Back