All-Star Large Squad In A Small Squad Division?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

torycf

Cheer Parent
Oct 18, 2011
Has anyone seen this happen before? We were at a competition with enough small squads in a division (9) to be split into "A" and "B" but I guess in that same level there was a large squad that was the only large squad entered in that division. So the EP put them in the small division (they were listed as having 27 girls, BTW).

Ultimately, the large squad won the "B" division. Do you think they had an advantage by having more girls or is it all based on percentages? Sorry, I'm just not that familiar with how it all works scoring wise...

Thanks!

Yes - EP's will only separate the division by size if there are at least two teams in each division.

Scores are based on ratios and difficulty of skill not actual number. So if a small team had 20 kids with tucks and the large team only threw 21 tucks (our of 27) the small team would recieve the higher score.

When my cp was on small y3 and small J4 is happened at almost every competition. There was always 1 large team...or we were the only small combined into large. With ratio based score sheets it shouldn't make a difference but I still feel like the "look" of a large team and the cooler things you can do in pyramid scores/shows well.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It's not supposed to make a difference, but like 12stepCheermom says the bigger groups are more visually dynamic with more stunt groups and a bigger pyramid so they do have an advantage IMO.

I think it all depends on the teams. If a large is sharp and in sync, it feels like they have the edge. But if they aren't and a small team is, they'll take it. Larges can look amazing but it is twice as hard to get 30 in sync as 15. They also have 2-3 more stunt groups that have to hit, risking more deductions. My daughter's team is a large J3 and keep getting put with the small J3 division and we wish there were large teams to go up against.
(The scoring is done on ratios not the number. A small throwing 12/15 tucks will get a higher score than a large throwing 18/30 comparable tucks.)

It's not supposed to make a difference, but like 12stepCheermom says the bigger groups are more visually dynamic with more stunt groups and a bigger pyramid so they do have an advantage IMO.
... and large teams are much more likely to have deductions. (They must perform many more total skills to have the same ratios.) I have found that it tends to even out in the long run.

Well a large team also has more of a chance to make mistakes....more stunt groups, more can fall...more tumbling more can touch down etc...

We were recently at a comp and there was a gym there with quite a few small teams - I don't think any of their teams had more than 10 athletes on the floor but they were AH-MAZING!! They were sharp, clean and absolutely maximized the talent of each kid on their teams. Their J2 only had 9 kids and they won their division and were small gym L2 grand champs.

... and large teams are much more likely to have deductions. (They must perform many more total skills to have the same ratios.) I have found that it tends to even out in the long run.
True, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of equal performance/skills and large vs small group.

We were recently at a comp and there was a gym there with quite a few small teams - I don't think any of their teams had more than 10 athletes on the floor but they were AH-MAZING!! They were sharp, clean and absolutely maximized the talent of each kid on their teams. Their J2 only had 9 kids and they won their division and were small gym L2 grand champs.
wow! That's awesome. I'd love to see if there are any videos of them anywhere. What gym was that?

We have that situation coming up this weekend. 6 small j4 and one large j4 team with 31 girls The large team is an awesome gym to start!! Guess we'll see how it goes but expecting them to get first.

I have been in both situations...and I've hated it each time. As the small team, I've won and lost. As the large team, I've won and lost. Hit your ratios, be clean, tight and have great technique. Size shouldn't matter if you do all those things.

What about coed and all-girl combined? This is the second time this has happens to us. It is senior 4, and there are two all-girl teams and one coed.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back