OT Leaving Home...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jun 13, 2012
I am moving out of my parents house for the very first time in a week.. and i am excited, because i am moving in with my grandparents.. but i keep thinking to my self "what am i doing?"
I am moving 13 hours away for school and i have never been away from my mom.
I feel like i cant do it... but i want to leave so bad... (18 yeaars with her all the time is ALOT)

am i crazzy? lol

No, you're not crazy at all!! I left for college last year, to a school not even an hour away from my house and I was still a bit homesick. It's probably going to be hard for a while, (especially since you're so far away) but after a while you'll be able to control the homesickness. You'll still have family there if you're living with your grandparents, so that should help a bit. Just remind yourself why you're moving away, to better your education. Good luck!! :)

I am also a little less than an hour away from home at school and for the first 2 weeks I was homesick constantly. Once you get yourself settled and find things to keep you busy, you'll be fine! Honestly, by the time it got to after spring break the only times I talked to my parents were if I needed them to pay a fee for school or bring me something at school. It gets better!!

It will be a major life change, but know that it will make you a stronger, better person in the long run. Go into school knowing that, hey it will be tough the first semester because it's different : new school format, new friendships that haven't had enough time to develop yet, new location. With time though, those friendships will become strong and you will find wonderful things that make you love your new location, while still appreciating stuff back home. You get to find the best of both worlds! Don't worry or over think about leaving home because the more you dwell on it, the quicker you will be homesick ( It's like already going in convinced to be sad. Be glad that you aren't going cold turkey! you will have your grandparents at least......many kids don't have anyone when they move for school). The best advice I can give you is to get involved at your new school because the faster you build bonds and feel attached to something, the more comfortable you will feel being away from your original home. Plus being involved in an organization will keep you busy so you won't just be sitting at home having too much time to say "woe is me, I miss my mom".....that never ends well.

I moved 18 hours away for school! The kids who lived close went home EVERY weekend and never really made friends or got involved on campus.

My best advice is to join a sorority or freshman honor society. Making connections freshman year is VERY important, while you have the least stressful course load. I honestly would've moved home after my freshman year if it weren't for my sorority sisters. I met a lot of cool people & had an awesome time! You will have a rockin' resume too. What school are you going to? I can get you any information for sorority recruitment (I may be able to write you a letter of rec depending on what's on campus) & send you links to first-year type programs!

I moved 18 hours away for school! The kids who lived close went home EVERY weekend and never really made friends or got involved on campus.

My best advice is to join a sorority or freshman honor society. Making connections freshman year is VERY important, while you have the least stressful course load. I honestly would've moved home after my freshman year if it weren't for my sorority sisters. I met a lot of cool people & had an awesome time! You will have a rockin' resume too. What school are you going to? I can get you any information for sorority recruitment (I may be able to write you a letter of rec depending on what's on campus) & send you links to first-year type programs!

i am going to a school in canada and they dont have any sororities :(
(grant macewan university)

I just moved out about 10 minutes away from home and I'm ridiculously homesick. I was a big mess on my first night haha.

Its been about a week though and I'm starting to get used to it.

I am moving out of my parents house for the very first time in a week.. and i am excited, because i am moving in with my grandparents.. but i keep thinking to my self "what am i doing?"
I am moving 13 hours away for school and i have never been away from my mom.
I feel like i cant do it... but i want to leave so bad... (18 yeaars with her all the time is ALOT)

am i crazzy? lol

Speaking as a mom, you are experiencing very normal feelings! As parents we long for/fear the day when it's time for our chicks to fly out of the nest. Now it's time for you to fly. You will miss that nest like crazy, but you have gotten some good advice above, and you will get through being homesick. And just remember, as hard as it is for you leave on some level, it's INSANELY difficult on your mom! So love up on her before you go - you will be happy you did. Good luck on your schooling and don't forget to come back and visit the nest. ;)

Back