High School Legal Tick Tocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 26, 2011
My stunt group is competing at All-state with a stunt group routine and we really want to have the highest difficulty possible. When I was searching High school cheer routines on youtube I came across Mauldin High school at state:

In the back middle they perform at 0:13 they perform a series of tick tocks, which I believed were illegal in till I read up on the stunt on the fierce board.

So finally my question is: how exactly do the bases and flyers make this stunt legal ( in detail especially for the back spot ). Also my state, Oregon, is a real stickler for safety and if they see a stunt that may be illegal they really pick it apart and won't be hesitant to give you a safety violation. I believe Oregon cheer goes by the NFHS spirit guidelines :

http://www.cheerltd.com/pdfs/10_11nfhs_rules.pdf

Can someone tell me whether its legal by these rules? and if so how?

Thats my youtube video!

Anyway..they tick tock similar to how a level 2 would do it...but with the extension... when the lib power presses down, the backspot grabs the libbed ankle and they perform the "switch" at the top and then they do it again...grab at the power pressed prep level...switch at the top

watch them in this video http://www.youtube.com/user/SCCheervideos2010#p/search/2/SGbNWsLhq9M

and you can see everything a little bit better

Around here most competitions use UCA rules...

"Released transition stunts must be braced on at least one side. Note: This applies to stunts such as tic tocs where a
stunt has taken place and is then released to another stunt. It does not apply to releases during load-in stunts such as a Switch Liberty from the ground. An additional spotter for the bracer(s) is not required unless the release meets the definition of a “Released Pyramid Transition”.

Around here most competitions use UCA rules...

"Released transition stunts must be braced on at least one side. Note: This applies to stunts such as tic tocs where a
stunt has taken place and is then released to another stunt. It does not apply to releases during load-in stunts such as a Switch Liberty from the ground. An additional spotter for the bracer(s) is not required unless the release meets the definition of a “Released Pyramid Transition”.

But is it a release if the backspot is in constant contact?

Thats my youtube video!

Anyway..they tick tock similar to how a level 2 would do it...but with the extension... when the lib power presses down, the backspot grabs the libbed ankle and they perform the "switch" at the top and then they do it again...grab at the power pressed prep level...switch at the top

watch them in this video http://www.youtube.com/user/SCCheervideos2010#p/search/2/SGbNWsLhq9M

and you can see everything a little bit better

Thanks, you really helped! I'll make sure to watch the video :)

So does this stunt boost the difficulty score? Or the switch liberty stunt?.. I wonder which one would be better to use?

I was wondering the same thing!
My stunt group already has switch ups, but we were wondering if this would boost our difficulty anymore, seeing as this kind of "tick tock" hasn't been introduced to our state.

It kind of seems like the switch one would boost difficulty.. I think that the other tick tock one might seem too easy? But really you never know! We need a professional in here lol

If the back spot has constant contact it isn't a tick tock.

From AACCA Rules (which UCA follows)
12. Free standing tic-tocs are prohibited

The only legal way to legally perform a tick tock is:
1. Have a prep on the side bracing (this prep does not need a backspot). Then, rules must be followed from "Released Transitions" rather than "Partner Stunts"
2. Have backspot remain in constant contact with top girl's ankles, as previously mentioned in this thread

*ETA: I didn't notice the original poster said they follow NFHS rules. I'd double check but they should be the same. The only time NFHS really differs is stunts from a prone position

From AACCA Rules (which UCA follows)
1. Have a prep on the side bracing (this prep does not need a backspot). Then, rules must be followed from "Released Transitions" rather than "Partner Stunts"

Actaully in my experince preps that are bracing a release transition in a pyramid still need to have a back spot. They varisty team for the school I coach got a deduction last year for not having a back in a prep that was bracing a stunt. I thought it was aloud but apparently not. To me this is one area where the NFHS rules aren't very clear.

Back