All-Star Legality On Ice Black Ice Question.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
I'm asking this because Ive been wanting to do something like this for a while.

How is the fan used during the dance legal?!?! And I noticed she pulls it out of her back. How does it stay on? What is it made out of to make it legal?!

Can we get pics of the gold fan and the silver one used at Wsf and Indy!

I loove the fan idea!

Usually props always turn out strange looking, but I love the fan! You have to see it in person mixed with the energy they have on the floor. What are the guidelines on the use of props?

I don't see how its any different then a flag squads run across the stage, or I've also seen squads with poms that aren't in a poms division. Glad people like the fan though, the girls love it!

I don't see how its any different then a flag squads run across the stage, or I've also seen squads with poms that aren't in a poms division. Glad people like the fan though, the girls love it!
do you have a video or a link to a video? I think those of us that couldn't see it in person are very curious as to what it looks like. :)

i thought if you put a logo or something on it in relation to the team it then becomes a sign and makes it legal ?!

I choreographed the fan and this is what I was told. The fan was always placed at the back of the floor, the dance consisting of 19 athletes, and 1 extra. The extra girl would run to the back grab it, then place it in the center girl's hands for her solo to the front. At WSF, we were told that the fan was used as a prop Unless it had the logo on it. The fan technically, opens up- similar to a sign or a flag, so we were covered under those criteria. So for day 2 of WSF, we stenciled the ICE logo on the fan, and purchased another one - this time WITH the logo- for Jamfest! After day 1, we were told, the fan is NOW considered a prop. A "sign" is used to help get the crowd involved during the routine. Last time I checked, I never heard the crowd chant the Name of anyone or anything when a sign was being used in the routine, nor in the music. We were also told, "Even if you drive a car on stage and write the ICE logo on it, during a routine- it still doesn't make it a sign" completely random statement from the legality judge but i guess the judges made their point :confused:.

We additionally argued that the USASF never described EXACTLY what constitutes as being used as a sign. They really couldn't defend that argument and only said that "a better description next season of what a "Sign" is will be drafted!"

We are still trying to find ways of going around it!

I choreographed the fan and this is what I was told. The fan was always placed at the back of the floor, the dance consisting of 19 athletes, and 1 extra. The extra girl would run to the back grab it, then place it in the center girl's hands for her solo to the front. At WSF, we were told that the fan was used as a prop Unless it had the logo on it. The fan technically, opens up- similar to a sign or a flag, so we were covered under those criteria. So for day 2 of WSF, we stenciled the ICE logo on the fan, and purchased another one - this time WITH the logo- for Jamfest! After day 1, we were told, the fan is NOW considered a prop. A "sign" is used to help get the crowd involved during the routine. Last time I checked, I never heard the crowd chant the Name of anyone or anything when a sign was being used in the routine, nor in the music. We were also told, "Even if you drive a car on stage and write the ICE logo on it, during a routine- it still doesn't make it a sign" completely random statement from the legality judge but i guess the judges made their point :confused:.

We additionally argued that the USASF never described EXACTLY what constitutes as being used as a sign. They really couldn't defend that argument and only said that "a better description next season of what a "Sign" is will be drafted!"

We are still trying to find ways of going around it!
What about top gun using magazines/ magazine covers one year....or f5 with gloves?!

I do know if it's part of the uni then it's legal ..as in attached to a sleeve or something ?? But I would contact les and see what he says !

Back