All-Star Let's Talk Technique...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A question for coaches or judges......I have noticed a growing trend of what I'll call "smoke and mirrors". At Cheersport I saw many level 4 and 5 teams that would full-up for a nanosecond and go immediately back down to a smoosh and then switch up, to a nanosecond heel stretch, and immediately basket. While this nanosecond stunting can be visually exciting, is this really considered hitting a skill? Are they being scored the same as a team that may appear less visually exciting, but is actually hitting and holding their positions?

I always tell my teams that for me, you have to be able to capture a "picture moment" for it to count. The shortest time frame we hold an air position for in our routine is 4 counts, because we want those picture moments!

When I judged I would still award difficulty to the nanosecond stunt, but I'd lower the technique scores. Higher technique scores for picture moments. I'm sure my 3 year old niece could hold a heel stretch for a count before tipping over, to me, theres not the same technique.

I always tell my teams that for me, you have to be able to capture a "picture moment" for it to count. The shortest time frame we hold an air position for in our routine is 4 counts, because we want those picture moments!

When I judged I would still award difficulty to the nanosecond stunt, but I'd lower the technique scores. Higher technique scores for picture moments. I'm sure my 3 year old niece could hold a heel stretch for a count before tipping over, to me, theres not the same technique.
If I could shimmy this a thousand times I would.:shimmy: I am really not a fan of the nanosecond stunt. It looks so messy to me.

I thought you have to hold a body position for 2 counts for them to count it as a body position.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My gym's youth 2 got busted for this at a JamBrands competition a few weekends ago... They had gotten away with hitting their extended single leg body positions in pyramid for 1 count all season and then they did not count them as structures at this competition because of how fast they hit them. They said it needs to hit for 2 counts. I scanned the scoring grids really quickly just now because I thought it said that somewhere, but I didn't see it (doesn't mean I didn't miss it, though).

My gym's youth 2 got busted for this at a JamBrands competition a few weekends ago... They had gotten away with hitting their extended single leg body positions in pyramid for 1 count all season and then they did not count them as structures at this competition because of how fast they hit them. They said it needs to hit for 2 counts. I scanned the scoring grids really quickly just now because I thought it said that somewhere, but I didn't see it (doesn't mean I didn't miss it, though).

3 years ago my senior coed 4 team got dinged for this at jamfest super nationals. I am assuming the 2 count rule has to be in there somewhere or else this would be too subjective to say "well they didn't hold it long enough".

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just watched the Flip City youth 2 team... they look amazing. And those jumps!

I know that Pro Athletics ShowStoppers are another really good technique youth team.

And I would say that Brandon is another well know gym that has really good technique.
All of Flip City Teams are Fierce this season! Great Coaches!

Stars Vipers ( @Kris10boo 's CP's gym) is a program that produces some gorgeous teams and their technique can be pretty flawless.

*Thanks for the shout out @BuegeSmalls !
And I had to lol bc @TwistersPride and I became coaching besties because our programs are SO similar :)

Thanks for the shoutout! Wish we could see y'all again this season :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back