All-Star Let's Talk Woodward...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 26, 2015
Sorry if these questions have been asked, looked through the threads and didn't get real answers.

We are planning on taking our son (7) and possibly a friend plans to take her daughter (9) to Woodward next year. Neither child would have a problem even going by themselves, they are social butterflies, especially the boy. But have a couple questions?

1) What is the difference in Locations (Tahoe, West, PA etc) ? Which is best?

2)Boys... I have seen like 1 picture of a boy at cheer camp at Woodward. And it's the boy on cheer girls. Is that because of their bad digital marketing or do boys just not go? I assume that if he is the only boy, they house him with the other sports boys. Looking for a review from a boy stand point also.

3) Is their a week(s) better than others?

4) Reviews state there is a lack of stunting: so would going to the power tumbling camp be just as good if the cheer portion fills up?

5) For those who come from far away:(we are looking at 1500 miles) Sending such young kids on a plane by themselves hoping they catch the shuttle seems crazy, so someone will have to fly with them. Instead of trying to figure out what to do while your kid is at camp, what are the odds of even being a parent volunteer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if these questions have been asked, looked through the threads and didn't get real answers.

We are planning on taking our son (7) and possibly a friend plans to take her daughter (9) to Woodward next year. Neither child would have a problem even going by themselves, they are social butterflies, especially the boy. But have a couple questions?

2)Boys... I have seen like 1 picture of a boy at cheer camp at Woodward. And it's the boy on cheer girls. Is that because of their bad digital marketing or do boys just not go? I assume that if he is the only boy, they house him with the other sports boys. Looking for a review from a boy stand point also.

4) Reviews state there is a lack of stunting: so would going to the power tumbling camp be just as good if the cheer portion fills up?

5) For those who come from far away:(we are looking at 1500 miles) Sending such young kids on a plane by themselves hoping they catch the shuttle seems crazy, so someone will have to fly with them. Instead of trying to figure out what to do while your kid is at camp, what are the odds of even being a parent volunteer?

I do not know how many boys go for cheer, but my son did parkour last year and they used the tumbling facilities as part of the program so that might be a decent alternative.

Droplet just finished her 3rd year at Woodward and she absolutely loves it there. I don't know much about the boy end of things but...

1) no idea what the difference is. We have only done PA. I don't know what the others are like but we have been really happy with that one. There's a trailer at the PA one that advertises one in Riviera Maya Mexico and I would totally be a cabin mom if Droplet would go there instead haha.
2) they definitely put them in the boy cabins with boy counselors. You don't spend a huge amount of time with your cabin at Woodward like you might at another camp so I don't think it's a big deal.
3) we always go week 5, which is around the 4th of July. We do that one because our gym is closed and it guarantees we don't miss choreo or whatever at home. She also knows a lot of others who go that week so well now so it's fun to "reunite" every summer.
4) there is no organized stunting at all. It's just tumbling. I guess my thoughts on it would be that at cheer camp they teach things the cheer way bcsuse they have cheer specific coaches whereas if you use gymnastics ones they sometimes teach skills a little different and it can be confusing.
5) I think your chances are pretty good at getting accepted as a volunteer. I don't know anyone who has offered who hasn't been chosen.

My daughter went to Woodward PA four summers. There were definitely boys there, but not many. We found that the first couple of weeks were best, less crowded. I always flew up with CP and at least one friend. Even when they were old enough to fly solo, they liked having me go with them. We could stop at the Wal-Mart close to the hotel we stayed in and get water, Gatorade, snacks, etc., to keep in the cabin. They also liked the hotel stay on the front end of the trip. I would return home the day I brought them to camp or the next day depending on flights. Then would fly back to get them. We found cheap flights so it was less than staying for the week in PA, nor did I really want to.

CP loved her weeks at Woodward. She made friends from gyms all over the coutry, several of whom were always there the same time as she. When we go to any of the big national comps, she always has friends she plans to meet up with and to go watch perform. It's fun for her to have kids from other gyms come watch her as well.

My cp has been to PA several times and has worked there for the last 2 years. She is in the Cheer Girls videos too. There are several boys in cheer, mostly in older rather than younger age groups. They have male cheer coaches too. And the parkour boys and power tumblers do some tumbling with cheer. Its mostly tumbling and some dance as far as the mandatory instruction times. There are lots of good pics and videos on their Facebook page- Woodward Cheer. Least crowded weeks are first two and last two. Some people choose by which celebs and guest coaches will be there.

As to parent volunteer, you just apply on their website. They are often looking for drivers but there are a few other jobs too.

My daughter went to Woodward PA four summers. There were definitely boys there, but not many. We found that the first couple of weeks were best, less crowded. I always flew up with CP and at least one friend. Even when they were old enough to fly solo, they liked having me go with them. We could stop at the Wal-Mart close to the hotel we stayed in and get water, Gatorade, snacks, etc., to keep in the cabin. They also liked the hotel stay on the front end of the trip. I would return home the day I brought them to camp or the next day depending on flights. Then would fly back to get them. We found cheap flights so it was less than staying for the week in PA, nor did I really want to.

CP loved her weeks at Woodward. She made friends from gyms all over the coutry, several of whom were always there the same time as she. When we go to any of the big national comps, she always has friends she plans to meet up with and to go watch perform. It's fun for her to have kids from other gyms come watch her as well.

That makes me feel a little better we asked some of the girls if they wanted to go next year, but it's still just girls he is always with. He's very boy, so to get to hang out with boys if possible is a treat.

My cp has been to PA several times and has worked there for the last 2 years. She is in the Cheer Girls videos too. There are several boys in cheer, mostly in older rather than younger age groups. They have male cheer coaches too. And the parkour boys and power tumblers do some tumbling with cheer. Its mostly tumbling and some dance as far as the mandatory instruction times. There are lots of good pics and videos on their Facebook page- Woodward Cheer. Least crowded weeks are first two and last two. Some people choose by which celebs and guest coaches will be there.

As to parent volunteer, you just apply on their website. They are often looking for drivers but there are a few other jobs too.

I'll have to go look for her! Ya I figured boys would be older. But he enjoys getting to have male coaches so it will probably buff out. We probably would just pick a week with a male celebrity coach.

Droplet just finished her 3rd year at Woodward and she absolutely loves it there. I don't know much about the boy end of things but...

1) no idea what the difference is. We have only done PA. I don't know what the others are like but we have been really happy with that one. There's a trailer at the PA one that advertises one in Riviera Maya Mexico and I would totally be a cabin mom if Droplet would go there instead haha.
2) they definitely put them in the boy cabins with boy counselors. You don't spend a huge amount of time with your cabin at Woodward like you might at another camp so I don't think it's a big deal.
3) we always go week 5, which is around the 4th of July. We do that one because our gym is closed and it guarantees we don't miss choreo or whatever at home. She also knows a lot of others who go that week so well now so it's fun to "reunite" every summer.
4) there is no organized stunting at all. It's just tumbling. I guess my thoughts on it would be that at cheer camp they teach things the cheer way bcsuse they have cheer specific coaches whereas if you use gymnastics ones they sometimes teach skills a little different and it can be confusing.
5) I think your chances are pretty good at getting accepted as a volunteer. I don't know anyone who has offered who hasn't been chosen.

We saw the Rivera one, and have talked about using it as a vacation, but someone said it's more of like a drop in excision thing and less of a camp.

The coaching stand point makes a lot of since. Definently don't want to get a 7 year old all confused.

That makes me feel a little better we asked some of the girls if they wanted to go next year, but it's still just girls he is always with. He's very boy, so to get to hang out with boys if possible is a treat.

Even if his group for mandatory cheer instruction doesn't have many boys, everyone has lots of free time for scooters, go carts, swimming, ropes course, gaming...

Even if his group for mandatory cheer instruction doesn't have many boys, everyone has lots of free time for scooters, go carts, swimming, ropes course, gaming...

That is so true

Back