All-Star Level 1 ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well this girls are like 13 or 14 I think .. He's 8 , and there are 2 more 8 year olds. Lol he's a lot smaller than he looks here in this pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would make it a junior or senior team then. Junior is 14 and younger as of August 31st, Senior is 10 & older as of August 31st

I wonder if they will actually go to a competition this year , or will it be next year

Well the coach told him that they had to have a roundoff for level 2 , and that hopefully they could get a level one team together for the younger ones . They have to try out too .

Well the coach told him that they had to have a roundoff for level 2 , and that hopefully they could get a level one team together for the younger ones . They have to try out too .

A round off isn't enough for Level 2. To be a level 2 team the majority of the kids need to be throwing back hand springs. I know it's confusion---I was a dancer so when CP switched to cheer my head was swimming.

As far as competing goes, most gyms start ending their season in April-May time frame, May is generally try-outs with the season beginning in June. Competitions start in August but some start in September or later...depends on the gym, what is local to you...etc, etc.

To have a team you need at least 5 kids.

One girl being really advanced won't bring a team up, so try not to focus on who is better. This truly is a team sport so even if you have 1 throwing fulls and the rest a cartwheels, it's level 1 and she can't throw it. IE, just because you have a skill, if it's not in your level you can't use it.

Good luck! They're are lots of helpful people around to help try and break it down as questions pop up.

Thanks for the help ! Once we find out more info I'll be asking more questions ! I'm guessing he's gonna try to have 2 teams . Idk. At first , when Coach mentioned allstar & competitions Noah didn't want to do it .... Now , there may not even be a level 1 team & Noah wants to " go to all stars " . I sure don't want him to be disappointed if we don't get enough kids . Wish us luck

Thanks for the help ! Once we find out more info I'll be asking more questions ! I'm guessing he's gonna try to have 2 teams . Idk. At first , when Coach mentioned allstar & competitions Noah didn't want to do it .... Now , there may not even be a level 1 team & Noah wants to " go to all stars " . I sure don't want him to be disappointed if we don't get enough kids . Wish us luck

It sounds like a small program that may benefit from doing Level 1 Prep teams while they build up numbers; when CP's gym first started it literally was kids age 6-18; 11 & under went on Youth and 12 & up went on Senior and that was it. Then they added the Mini/Tiny teams.

Yep it is very small . Gym just opened in October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes very small .. The gym just opened up in October

Yes very small .. The gym just opened up in October

The good thing about level 1 is you do not need all tumbling skills to be able to compete. Some athletes (like myself) get away with just forward/back rolls, cartwheeles and round offs

I wonder if they will actually go to a competition this year , or will it be next year

It will most likely be next season. This season is wrapping up. Most gyms are gearing up for tryouts in April.

To give you a general idea of what these levels look like for a youth aged team (5+ members to make a team) , here's a few visuals:

Level 1 Prep = A level for kids that are just getting into the sport and learning basics. This is a relatively new concept within the past few years, with aims to bring kids with minimal/no prior experience into the sport for a half year team or a full year team with less practice and/or $ commitment than a gym's standard level 1 team typically.

Youth Level 1 All Star Prep - North Florida Elite Emeralds 3/30/14 - YouTube

Level 1 = The standard beginner level that most gyms will have. The more competitive teams/gyms will have squad walkovers by nationals season typically...a.k.a Jan-April. Kids at this age learn fast however, so most gyms will just start with this level if they have a mix of experienced/non experience, as even kids coming in with no skills may progress to strong level 1 skills by the end of the season. There is a wide range of abilities in this level, with teams from both small and large gyms varying widely across the board in terms of tumbling & creativity. To max out the tumbling portion of the score sheet however, squad walkover combos are usually needed.

Airtime All Stars Youth Cheer Level 1 - Airtime Storm HD - YouTube (a small team with kids probably just starting out. This is a great experience for the kids to focus on learning and experiencing what competitions are like at smaller competitions)

Louisiana cheer force Rose 2014 - YouTube (once you get to the bigger competitions, the teams are going to be more like this. This is a bigger gym with a competitive team. Possibly a mix of non experienced + athletes who have competed before)

Level 2 = Squad majority backhandsprings = a necessity to max out the scoresheet in this level. Stunting difficulty now allows for extended two legged stunts, extended 1 leg stunts in the pyramid when connected, and straight ride baskets.
Prodigy All Star Sapphire Small Youth Level 2 ACA Nationals 2013 Fort Worth, TX - YouTube
GymTyme Allstars ICE WSF 2014 - YouTube

Last edited:
Back