Level 2 Skills To Level 5 In How Long?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 15, 2012
Hello all. My daughter is currently a flyer on a junior 2 team. It was brought up at a competition yesterday about the possibility of our gym having a junior 5 next season and my daughter being a flyer on that team. I personally don't see how possible it is to go from level 2 skills to level 5 skills in just a few months. However my CP did get her RO, BHS, tuck after two hours of open gym. So I have two questions:
1) Is it possible for her to get level 5 skills practically over the summer with privates?
2) If it is possible, how many times per week should she be in private instruction in order to acheive this goal?

I want to be realistic about the situation so that I don't put too much pressure on her. We talked about it a little yesterday and she's always trying to be in the gym going to tumbling classes so getting her to go to privates a few times a week won't be a problem. Also any suggestions for drills and exercises she can do at home would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Every child is different. CP started throwing her RO BHS tuck last year with her rec team. She has mastered it over the course of this season. By mastered, I mean that she lands her tuck without touching down every time. Ok, one exception, the day she competed with the flu.

For about a month now, she has been working layouts and standing tucks, but they are nowhere near comp ready. We are a small gym, and the hope is to have a S4 team next year. I guess that's my way of saying that I'm confident that CP and others on her team can comfortably move up 1 level in a year.

Going from a 2 to a 5 seems like a stretch to me, but I'm sure some kids would be able to accomplish it. You and your coaches know best how your child picks up new skills and how she deals with pressure. It can also depend on your gym's philosophy about level appropriate skills. I've watched one J4 team compete several times this season with kids who don't even have a tuck. They fake it with a RO BHS tuck jump and put those kids in the back row. I don't get the point, but that team does sometimes win. I guess they go for majority points, while our gym would rather full team skills.

Every kid is different. It depends on how often she is working, the coaches ability to teach correct form and drills (she can't progress very fast with janky tumbling, especially not twisting), and how fast get body picks up on the skills. Some kids take years, some kids can do it in a summer (although that is rare).

She needs to get a powerful roundoff with proper handspring out of it to be able to tuck. Once she has the tuck down she can start working layouts. Layouts require alot of core strength and need a correct entry out of the bhs to be able to start working. Yes, kids can throw a "whip" and call.it a layout. They will have a very difficult time twisting though. get her in the gym (or privates if possible) working with someone who has experience and good technique at teaching roundoff handspring tucks. Once she's got the tuck down you can train layouts and while not tech a level 5 skill, it is alot netter than no flip at all.

For drills at home - plyometrics and core work. shw needs to be able to get her body into a hollow position in a layout. Work hollow holds, "pike" ups (lay flat and just the legs are raised into a pike position, legs pointing towards the ceiling) and tuck drills (lay flat and quickly bring legs into a tuck position up over your head. This mimics a back tuck. Upper body lays flat and doesn't move, forcing core to do the work).

Do they have a lot of junior age kids with fulls? If so, they may think she'll be able to pick up the stunting skills, and they aren't as worried with the tumbling. You don't NEED full squad fulls, you can get by with one or two girls not throwing it. Does she pick up quickly with stunts? I'd say since the mention was of her flying on the J5, they may be planning to put her on mainly for her flying skills, and have her work the tumbling but not necessarily throw it at a comp. Level 2 to level 5 tumbling seems like a pretty big leap, and while the stunting is a big leap too, it might be more achievable.

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm definitely going to work with her at home. She understands it won't be easy but we talked about it and she's ready to put in the work. She does pick up on tumbling pretty quickly and she loves flying so she'll do anything they ask of her. Majority of the J4 team that are currently working on their fulls.

Well now we know Trinity is trying for a Junior 5!
I'm sure it can be done. My oldest had a friend that took two private lessons a week all summer and went from level 1 to level 3. And what cheernerd5678 said, if they are looking at using her just as a flyer, she doesn't even need to tumble. I think getting the stunting up to 5 will be easier than the tumbling.
On a side note....I can't stand when gyms will push a kid so they can field the team THEY want the next season. You make your teams based on your talent at tryouts. This is how kids get hurt.

Well now we know Trinity is trying for a Junior 5!
I'm sure it can be done. My oldest had a friend that took two private lessons a week all summer and went from level 1 to level 3. And what cheernerd5678 said, if they are looking at using her just as a flyer, she doesn't even need to tumble. I think getting the stunting up to 5 will be easier than the tumbling.
On a side note....I can't stand when gyms will push a kid so they can field the team THEY want the next season. You make your teams based on your talent at tryouts. This is how kids get hurt.

Now don't get that started. I personally don't know if its possible and this was coming from another parent on a team. I haven't talked to any coaches so there is nothing official about it. I'm just trying to see how possible it would be for her IF they actually have enough kids for a J5. Plus we haven't decided if Trinity will be our home next year. The commute this season has been a killer. But As I said before I don't want to pressure her but she loves tumbling and wouldn't complain about being in the gym 3 or 4 days a week.

My concern would be the flying. There are very important progressions learned in the levels between 2 and 5. Skipping any steps along the way lead to really bad habits.

That's definitely something to consider. I don't want her to get hurt or look like a hot mess in the air.

That's definitely something to consider. I don't want her to get hurt or look like a hot mess in the air.
As a coach, I probably wouldn't ever move a flyer that many levels (I say probably cause you just never know). We're talking going from flying in a prep to double down without progression...terrifying. Straight ride tosses to 3 trick? More terrifying. Now, I don't know your daughter obviously. Maybe she'd pick up quickly, but I'm a firm believer in learning and mastering progressions. It keeps the kids safe, and makes everything more technically sound.

As a coach, I probably wouldn't ever move a flyer that many levels (I say probably cause you just never know). We're talking going from flying in a prep to double down without progression...terrifying. Straight ride tosses to 3 trick? More terrifying. Now, I don't know your daughter obviously. Maybe she'd pick up quickly, but I'm a firm believer in learning and mastering progressions. It keeps the kids safe, and makes everything more technically sound.

Thanks so much for being so candid. You've given me a lot to think about and I definitely want to make sure my daughter is safe above all else.

From my point of view, as a flyer, learning baskets would be very dangerous. Straight ride baskets are pretty easy, but once twisting gets involved, there comes the struggle.

Well, if she's a talented flyer she could pull level 5 stunts. None of my HS flyers had never flown before and they mastered switch ups, and tick tocks and full ups usually within three practices of learning the skill. Tumbling wise, I notice alot of Junior teams have girls competing layouts.

Just assuming, that many Y5's and J5's are fielded for awesome athletes with the tumbling or with the stunting.

Well, if she's a talented flyer she could pull level 5 stunts. None of my HS flyers had never flown before and they mastered switch ups, and tick tocks and full ups usually within three practices of learning the skill. Tumbling wise, I notice alot of Junior teams have girls competing layouts.

Just assuming, that many Y5's and J5's are fielded for awesome athletes with the tumbling or with the stunting.

I think if they start training on stunts early enough, she'll be fine. She loves being in the air and as long as she's got a really good stunt group, she'll catch on quick. This may be backwards but I'm more worried about the tumbling. Between privates and getting her a trampoline, I'm hoping we can get it together. I don't want her on the team if she can't do the tumbling, no matter what level it is.

I think it's possible, depending on several factors. First is her strength. Get her conditioning and in amazing shape. She'll need the strength (core especially) to do both the harder stunts (twists) and tumbling. Second, the level of the team. Are they a true level 5?? A lot of teams here compete "level 5", but really all they do that is at level are double downs. Does your gym have a true understanding of the USASF levels?? Third - don't push her. Don't let the coaches put her in a situation where she could become injured cos she is throwing skills that are too much past her abilities. Better to cheer level 5 in a couple of years or so versus sustaining an injury now that may put her out of cheer

Back