All-Star Little Fish Big Sea Vs Big Fish Little Sea

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We started out at a small gym and moved to a larger gym. I prefer the larger gym, but suppose this also depends on the gym, management, if the small gym is competitive, etc. There are a lot more factors involved than just large or small gym.

But just be relevant to your question, the smaller gym my observation was they had their "gym princessess" who were coaches/owner favorites (and all the parents knew who the favorites were too) and they were the main focus at practices, etc., while other girls were not the focus of progressing them to the next level. The larger gym we are current at has focused on progression of ALL girls. You don't see favorites and all girls are treated as important members of the team. There was once a picture posted of my daughter flying, but the comment from the coaches were way to be an awesome base "susie", etc. So I just feel that even though it is a larger gym they appreciate all the girls the same. The larger gym also has a much larger management staff and I feel the management is better. Again, it is hard to compare gyms on just large or small. You can have a large gym with poor management because they dont' have enough staff to manage it well.

You just need to know your child attitude and motivation factors. Will she regress or come to stand still at a smaller gym? My daughter (who is 8) tends to work harder when she is around girls her age with higher skill level because her and her friends will be competitive (on friendly terms) to see who can get a skill first, etc. When she is in a group of girls where she had the highest level skills (she double teamed on a lower level team last year), I don't think she feels the need to work as hard.

I have also found less drama at the larger gyms. At the smaller gym, every one did know everyone which included all their business. You knew what was going on on all teams of all levels, etc. This caused drama between teams because one team coach/owner would give out better christmas gifts to her team, or gifts for getting skills (bow or socks), while other coaches did nothing. So a team felt they were being left out or treated differently. Because it was a small gym, everything was just out in the open and it was constantly some new drama every week.

At the larger gym we are at, yes, we don't know everyone. We know the parents of the girls on our daugther's team, and a few of the other parents from the teams that practice on the same night. We don't know what is going on on any team but our own, and... that is all we really care to know. If one team has a team building pizza party on the weekend, we don't care because it's not our team, and we don't feel left out.

It's funny, the larger gym, we (my daughter, my husband, and myself) find it to be less stressful for us due to better management and less drama. We focus on our daughter, her team, and gym events throughout the year. At competitions we support all teams at the gym and are in the crowd to cheer for all of them.

I'm so glad you made this topic.

My daughter just turned 6 a few months ago and as of this month she started exactly 1 year ago. She is a solid level 2 tumbler and even now with her being on youth2 (we don't have mini2) she is really picking up on level 2 flying, I think her motions and technique are equal to those of level 2. They only thing with her being on youth 2 I feel like her jumps aren't as good as everyone's as far as height wise - she can do multiple jumps to BHS but there just not high!

Every kid on her team turns 9 in either the next few months or is already 10 or 11. My daughter is going into first everyone else is 3rd grade up. So everyone on the team loves her as like a star because there is no one at the gym close to her age that can even do a BHS. To where my daughter can do multiples and has a specialty pass. My daughter absolutely loves the attention.

However, some girl at my work was like you think your daughter is good..? That's nothing take her to a bigger city with a big gym and your daughter won't be special. It really offended me and I don't even talk about my daughter like that to her. She knows and she sees videos of my daughter on Facebook. That's the only place she sees things and videos of my daughter. For real it made me cry like your doubting my child. I just want her to be the best at what she does for herself she doesn't have to be better then anyone else.

Anyways, I don't know why I put that out there but it's leading to what I say now. Were moving to Texas and one of the strong contenders of where I will take my daughter is a larger gym. I already know and I'm kind of nervous because I love our gym. She will be 7 right before the season starts and she is working tucks now and she really is trying and she will probably have it by next season but I know if she doesn't she will be one of many with a BHS. Im sure there are 7 year olds with tucks there already too but I know that she would be a little more valued. I'm just worried if my daughter will let that discourage her and she won't realize how fabulous she is and will she only thrive at a smaller gym? Or is the large gym going to give her that extra boost of confidence that she can hang with the best of them!?

I'm truly concerned ..

Didn't you post that you were going ot San Antonio? I was suppose to be moving to San Antonio this summer (but our plans changed). What I did when we went to visit family in SA a year ago, is we visited two cheer gyms (Pinnacle and Premier). I was going to be working at Lackland AFB so we were looking at gyms around that area. Of course I did narrow the gyms I liked best down that I would have choosen Pinnacle (larger program with 3 locations)(although Premier Owner was really nice and much closer to the base. They gave my daughter a practice shirt and everything just visiting them). I really wanted ACF but that was too far to drive from the opposite side of SA. I didn't visit the other gyms in SA area because I felt the driving time was too far. I looked at what type of competitions they went to as well and Pinnacle was just more similiar to her current gym. Luckily there are tons of gyms in the SA area to choose from.

I'm so glad you made this topic.

My daughter just turned 6 a few months ago and as of this month she started exactly 1 year ago. She is a solid level 2 tumbler and even now with her being on youth2 (we don't have mini2) she is really picking up on level 2 flying, I think her motions and technique are equal to those of level 2. They only thing with her being on youth 2 I feel like her jumps aren't as good as everyone's as far as height wise - she can do multiple jumps to BHS but there just not high!

Every kid on her team turns 9 in either the next few months or is already 10 or 11. My daughter is going into first everyone else is 3rd grade up. So everyone on the team loves her as like a star because there is no one at the gym close to her age that can even do a BHS. To where my daughter can do multiples and has a specialty pass. My daughter absolutely loves the attention.

However, some girl at my work was like you think your daughter is good..? That's nothing take her to a bigger city with a big gym and your daughter won't be special. It really offended me and I don't even talk about my daughter like that to her. She knows and she sees videos of my daughter on Facebook. That's the only place she sees things and videos of my daughter. For real it made me cry like your doubting my child. I just want her to be the best at what she does for herself she doesn't have to be better then anyone else.

Anyways, I don't know why I put that out there but it's leading to what I say now. Were moving to Texas and one of the strong contenders of where I will take my daughter is a larger gym. I already know and I'm kind of nervous because I love our gym. She will be 7 right before the season starts and she is working tucks now and she really is trying and she will probably have it by next season but I know if she doesn't she will be one of many with a BHS. Im sure there are 7 year olds with tucks there already too but I know that she would be a little more valued. I'm just worried if my daughter will let that discourage her and she won't realize how fabulous she is and will she only thrive at a smaller gym? Or is the large gym going to give her that extra boost of confidence that she can hang with the best of them!?

I'm truly concerned ..
Where in Texas?

Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development basically states that learners will rise to the level of those around them. So, if your kid is the best, they're going to stagnate...but if your kid has someone better than them they will increase their skill level to try and match the skill level of the more advanced kids.
Either they rise or they say if I can be the best then why try. I have seen both happen.

Didn't you post that you were going ot San Antonio? I was suppose to be moving to San Antonio this summer (but our plans changed). What I did when we went to visit family in SA a year ago, is we visited two cheer gyms (Pinnacle and Premier). I was going to be working at Lackland AFB so we were looking at gyms around that area. Of course I did narrow the gyms I liked best down that I would have choosen Pinnacle (larger program with 3 locations)(although Premier Owner was really nice and much closer to the base. They gave my daughter a practice shirt and everything just visiting them). I really wanted ACF but that was too far to drive from the opposite side of SA. I didn't visit the other gyms in SA area because I felt the driving time was too far. I looked at what type of competitions they went to as well and Pinnacle was just more similiar to her current gym. Luckily there are tons of gyms in the SA area to choose from.

Yes I am going to San Antonio but not till next season! I can't move just yet because of things I have to take care of. So I wouldn't be able to move till like November. My cp doesn't want to not cheer so if that was the case I'd just quit her gym now and just let her tumble. However, I know it would be hard for her to walk in on a team in November in San Antonio since competitions start around then. So I'm just going to wait till the season is up. I mean me moving in November or April next year won't make a difference to me but I just want to make it as easy on her as possible. So April is when I will be there. I'm either considering ACF or Stars. They both have a lot to offer. Stars is closer of course but it just really depends on what works best for her. One is small one is large! I plan on going to both and see what she likes and watch to see them coaching and the atmosphere! I'm really excited and April is the month I'll be moving!

I'm right up the road (IH35) in New Braunfels. Maybe we will see each other at some comps. We have a level 2 and 3 team. Which gym did you decide to go with? When are you moving here?

Haha .. Funny you say that. that's actually the exact city I should be in. It's just easier to say San Antonio. Especially when other people ask.

I have been doing my research and the two I'm most interested in is-
Austin Cheer Factory&
Stars.
I know ACF is further but there is a lot of little things I like about them.
Also stars (it may be a z or s on the end I don't remember) but I really like things I have heard about them as well.
So I was going to take my CP to visit both and let her choose so we make the best decision together!

However I'm open to suggestions or even info you know on either of them. Or if you have another good prospect for me to look into.

My daughter has a current commitment to a gym right now. So I would wait till April when her season is over to make the move. I know I'm a little ahead but I want to be prepared!

If you don't mind me asking what gym does your CP cheer for?

Well, when Iwas about 7 years old I was at a very small gym. I had very good skills and was considered the girl who stould out from all the others. But after a few years cheering there I noticed I wasn't improving. That gym had their limits and never taught me anything more than what I knew then. Now I am at a very professional gym and proud to be. I have learned that I could get my full in 1 month of leaving that gym. Even though I wasn't the best at my new gym, I was still improving my skills so maybe I will be a shining star at my new gym someday! It all depends on your determination and focus :)

We have been at a small gym for 4 years. The first 2 years I don't think the coaches pushed the teams beyond their current level. But, the last 2 years, we had a change in coaches and now all the kids are pushed beyond. Even though we will compete as a level 3 we have many working on fulls, doubles, standing tucks, etc. They work on more difficult stunts. Everyone is improving quickly along their own path. It has been great to watch this summer.

this is hard....i guess you have to decide whether you want your child to be respected for her effort with her team mates and coaches, or if you just want your child to be the star of the show.

this is hard....i guess you have to decide whether you want your child to be respected for her effort with her team mates and coaches, or if you just want your child to be the star of the show.

i personally would rather big gym, small me because i love the feeling of being in a gym that everyone looks at...and wants to be"

Back