Looking For Advice For My Daughter

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had a huge mental block on layouts I stopped doing the. For about a month and I went to back to it. it was instantly better! My technique was better and most of all I wasn't scared! I am so close to having it now? Good luck! Maybe a break is all she needs!

Make sure your cp wants this as bad as you do. If she hasn't cheered in two years and not breaking through, maybe it's not the sport for her any longer. Maybe explore dance or other activities that match her strengths. I work with people on discovering their strengths and matching professions to their strengths. People are more successful and have higher self esteem when they are good at what they do. Constantly being reminded you have a weakness defeats some and lowers self esteem. Just another way to look at it. There is more out there besides cheer. If she loves it beyond belief, maybe look into high school cheer. A lot of schools don't require tumbling and may be the excitement she needs.

Good luck
Honestly and as bad As this may sound I could care less if she ever tumbles or cheers again. This is her passion and she has been told and asked many times that she doesn't have to do this and offered lots of other sports to give a try. She did say she is giving herself until this summer and if she doesn't get the skill or skills needed to be on a higher level team then she wants to try dance. As far as school cheer I have suggested that and she is considering trying out but again all the squads at the HS do tumble.

That doesn't sound bad.. I've been there too. I hope she finds what she wants. Sounds like she will succeed at anything she wants. My girlfriends daughter wouldn't bhs for 6 years. A new coach a new environment and voila! She made competition team at school and tumbles.. You just never know when and how it will click.

I have actually spoken with Debbie and we tried all her suggestions. A coach at her gym actually mentioned the sports psychologist and I think he can really help once we get back in there. I guess I'm just concerned that if she doesn't get over the block that it will mean no more cheering for her and I know she would be devestated. I no longer say anything about the tumbling unless its encouragement ! Thanks for the advice and sorry it took so long to reply! I will look into Debbie's site again .

It is understandable to be concerned but you must keep in mind that these are not skills that your CP is not capable of, it's just some personal mental issue with completing it. There are many different reasons for blocks but the one consistant outcome is that that the child needs to decide in his/her brain that they want to try the skill again.

The cupieqt approach is the most successful one that I know of and if a deadline like tryouts or a major competition is approaching than you can only remind them of it without pressuring too much. He/she may decide to end their cheer career, but more often than not I have seen it be a dramatic confidence booster when they learn they can overcome a major physical and mental obstacle on their own.

My other constant reminder to all parents and coaches is that this is the CPs issue, not yours.

We had one girl who had blocks just on back tumbling. So, she focused on front tumbling like front walkovers, front handsprings, front punches, aerials, etc. Now she has awesome front tumbling skills and has come up with some creative tumbling passes!

That doesn't sound bad.. I've been there too. I hope she finds what she wants. Sounds like she will succeed at anything she wants. My girlfriends daughter wouldn't bhs for 6 years. A new coach a new environment and voila! She made competition team at school and tumbles.. You just never know when and how it will click.
Thank you! That gives me hope for her I have suggested she try a different gym she is just not sure! I will definitely suggest it again!

It is understandable to be concerned but you must keep in mind that these are not skills that your CP is not capable of, it's just some personal mental issue with completing it. There are many different reasons for blocks but the one consistant outcome is that that the child needs to decide in his/her brain that they want to try the skill again.

The cupieqt approach is the most successful one that I know of and if a deadline like tryouts or a major competition is approaching than you can only remind them of it without pressuring too much. He/she may decide to end their cheer career, but more often than not I have seen it be a dramatic confidence booster when they learn they can overcome a major physical and mental obstacle on their own.

My other constant reminder to all parents and coaches is that this is the CPs issue, not yours.

She started throwing it last march by herself for a few weeks and was so happy so I know she can do it and I know how great she felt she was so proud!

We had one girl who had blocks just on back tumbling. So, she focused on front tumbling like front walkovers, front handsprings, front punches, aerials, etc. Now she has awesome front tumbling skills and has come up with some creative tumbling passes!
That's awesome!! I will share that with her she likes front tumbling better she just seems so hung up on the bhs. I might have to talk her into trying a different gym with different coaches maybe it will help her! Thanks

I agree that breaks are awesome for mental blocks and getting rid of bad habits. The best my daughter has ever tumbled has always been after having atleast 2 weeks of zero tumbling. Her endurance level suffers tremendously, but the bad habits disappear.

Back