All-Star Looking For Some Info On Starting A Special Needs Team...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

dance2874

Cheer Parent
Jan 27, 2013
Our gym is in the beginning stages of starting a special needs team. I am going to attempt to help as I have some experience in that area, having a special needs child myself. Can anyone point me in the direction of the basic info we will need to get started? I guess our main questions are if there are age restrictions, and if the coaches need any special certification. I know I have seen this discussed here somewhere but a search didnt really bring up many results.

THANKS!

Our gym is in the beginning stages of starting a special needs team. I am going to attempt to help as I have some experience in that area, having a special needs child myself. Can anyone point me in the direction of the basic info we will need to get started? I guess our main questions are if there are age restrictions, and if the coaches need any special certification. I know I have seen this discussed here somewhere but a search didnt really bring up many results.

THANKS!

I'll be glad to help. I've worked with dozens of gyms in starting teams. Send me an email to [email protected] and I'll get you lots of info.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

What I DO know is that there is no age limit for the SN division and I am fairly certain they are limited to L2 with no baskets allowed. I'm sure ACEDAD knows better than I do, though!

We had our first SN team this year and I have to say it was the most amazing thing I have ever been a part of. We had 4 amazing athletes and hope to have more next year. We treated it like a yth 1 team of beginners as we started it with ages 8 and up. Next year we r going younger. We were all crying at the first comp! My daughter coaches it along with all the volunteers from our other teams! Can't wait for next year . Have fun and good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

We had our first SN team this year and I have to say it was the most amazing thing I have ever been a part of. We had 4 amazing athletes and hope to have more next year. We treated it like a yth 1 team of beginners as we started it with ages 8 and up. Next year we r going younger. We were all crying at the first comp! My daughter coaches it along with all the volunteers from our other teams! Can't wait for next year . Have fun and good luck!

I would encourage you to be very careful about going younger than 8. In 10 years of coaching special needs athletes, I only found 1 or 2 athletes younger than 8 that could really benefit. Most just don't have the attention span that's needed.

Special Olympics uses an age 8 cutoff and I would encourage you to keep it as well.

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

Cp has worked with the SN team at her gym for the past two seasons. It has been one of the most rewarding experiences for her and I love watching her team and all the SN teams at competitions.

Back