Loose Flyers!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 26, 2012
Does anyone else have flyers that are peanuts, but aren't tight? All of the flyers on my team are between 50-60 lbs. Does anyone have any tips for me to tell them, it's not hard to stunt them or anything, it's just really annoying when they are loose and not trying in the air! I'm on a level 3 team and in tick tocks or just straight up extension one-leg they think because they're little they don't have to be tight, it's so frustrating!!!:mad: Any tips for my flyers and I?

Flyers need to be strong. If they don't have the muscle tone needed for balance then anything other than a prep will be tough. Conditioning, stretching and floor flying (what we call it when they practice their skills on the floor or mats) will help them gain more control in the air.
They need to train being tight by doing drills too. We start every practice --after stretching and tumbling/jump warm up--with simple show n go stunt drills (two leg and single leg). Practicing those basic squeezing and shrugging up skills in non-stick-at-the-top stunts is less scary and helpful for everyone. It works timing and technique for the whole group. Even our experienced athletes do these drills. It really helps eliminate the flailing and flapping you get with new flyers.

Does anyone else have flyers that are peanuts, but aren't tight? All of the flyers on my team are between 50-60 lbs. Does anyone have any tips for me to tell them, it's not hard to stunt them or anything, it's just really annoying when they are loose and not trying in the air! I'm on a level 3 team and in tick tocks or just straight up extension one-leg they think because they're little they don't have to be tight, it's so frustrating!!!:mad: Any tips for my flyers and I?
.......i have that same issue and the worst part is she always blames the bases..... In compatiotion pnce she got scared sso bent down to touch our shoulders! Her knee never locks and she literally vibrates in a preppp. And never pushes off... Never. The less has a dorito! Makes me so mad

Ive seen this so much! Its such a pain when they have potential but dont even bother tightening they just fiddle with their shirt or something :mad:

.......i have that same issue and the worst part is she always blames the bases..... In compatiotion pnce she got scared sso bent down to touch our shoulders! Her knee never locks and she literally vibrates in a preppp. And never pushes off... Never. The less has a dorito! Makes me so mad
Do we have the same flyer?? lol but seriously tell them to PINCH A PENNY, and really being as kind as possible is always good, anger amongst a stunt group is bad in every way! Just try to communicate with your flyer and if she won't listen maybe address the issue with a coach if you feel your comments and pieces of advice are getting you nowhere.

Make it a requirement that flyers stand in front of the stunt and pull the stunt sequence full out on the ground every. single. time. Think of each position as if they're motions. It should look like you want it to look in the air except on the ground. If they're loose on the ground they'll tip over. If they're tight and fight to hold each body position with a locked knee then they'll be able to stay standing. Pulling all of the positions on the ground will teach them what it feels like to be loose and what it feels like to be tight. Believe me... after a week or so of struggling on the ground, those flyers will start to look more in control of their own bodies, in and out of the air. =)

Back