College Louisville Vs. Hpu

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What college do you think is better?

• Total voters
Dec 21, 2010
Heeeey, I am a junior in high school preparing for college and obviously I want to cheer.
smile.png
So I was just wondering what everyone thought about Louisville and HPU. Your likes and dislikes about the school/cheerleading program. I've always wanted to go to Louisville but I'm not completely sure where I really want to go yet. So if anyone has any feedback that'd be great!

Skills wise I can throw: (this is on spring floor but I'm pretty sure if I tried I could do this on hard floor too)
Standing full
Standing one to full
Jumps to back
Running specialty through to full
Running double
Running specialty through to double
and stunt wise I can main, secondary, or backspot.

#1- Which school has the better academic program for what you want to major in? Go there.
#2- How important is it for you to visit family? If you go to HPU you most likely won't go home at all during the school year. It's so expensive to fly, and you'll have games/nationals practice during Thanksgiving and Winter Break. Nationals for both is in April, so you'll probably miss out on Spring Break too. A lot of people only last a year at HPU because of this. Both schools see a lot of turnover because they take a lot of "game day" people, but a limited number make the mat.

To be honest I don't even know what I want to major in lol
I'm just going to test the waters of different classes while at college
and yes I suppose that is true
UofL is always where I have wanted to go but there is also a lot of hype about HPU too
HPU still has an all girl team though right because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make a coed team at either college...

Competition Wise: Louisville, hands down.

HPU gives out scholarships to their cheerleaders, not so sure about Louisville. I think they give it to the top candidated at tryouts. I would think that it would be really hard to stand out with a team like Louisville because everyone there has SO much more talent than the average cheerleader. But you seem like it has what it takes. If you can throw a double on hard floor, as a female, you've definitely got a chance. It will be a bit easier to make HPU.

Considering both schools and having no idea what you want to do when you get older is completely normal. A large amount of students go into their undergraduate years not knowing what they want to pursue; they're undecided.

P.S. - Try out for All-Girl at both schools. Louisville does not have small coed tryouts.

I thought I heard that HPU will no longer have All girl after last year? Also HPU from what I have read has cut back on scholarships.

I would really pick based on academics. Both are great for cheer, but a school should be more then just a place to cheer. You should check out more into the academic side of the school and choose from there.

Well I'm an honor student and although the school aspect is really important I'm really kind of in it for the cheer because I can get the basic list of classes everywhere I go and I don't even know what I want to major in yet so my main focus right now is cheerleading. :)

If you can score high enough on your ACTs then Louisville will give you a scholarship that covers the difference between out of state tuition and in state tuition

On a selfish note lets see hot beautiful hawaii or cold cold kentucky.. HMMMM?? Ok serious note the best academic programme is the one you should choose because both have amazing cheer programmes and you cant go wrong with either..!

if you pick hpu you will be able to come home for thanksgiving and christmas....they don't practice during those times....the only reason i know is cuz my sister graduated from there last year she was there all 4 years and cheered (i was one of those that only stayed for one year) hpu also does not have all girl due to cut backs....i have <3 hpu but i have always enjoyed watching Louisville more at competition :) talk with your parents when making your decision......if they can handle you being so far way then def go with hpu (but keep in mind...if you ever have an emergancy...it will take your family alot longer to get to you)....good luck with your decision!!

Rule of thumb: NEVER pick a school just based on their cheer program and how well they do at competitions!

My sister made that mistake and moved 14 hours away to go to a big cheer school. They always finished in one of the top spots at UCA nationals every year. She had the most unbelievably horrible/awful first semester of school you could imagine so she transferred halfway through the year. Now she cheers at a big D1 school who has amazing sports teams, yet is not a big cheer school and doesn't compete but she is much much happier! She loves her classes, the school, and the cheer program (even though they're not very competitive). Just because you like their cheer style and the way they look at comps does not mean their program is right for you or their school is. Pleaseeee take that into consideration!

Just to clarify my post was obviously not about U of L or HPU, nor do I know much about either program. Just saying in your overall search for a school to NOT pick it bases on cheer :) Good Luck!

I know that cheer is important to you but you should always put academics ahead of cheer. When it comes to getting a job after college they look at that diploma and see how good the program you graduated from was. I know you don't know what you want to major in, but you can see look into programs that you are somewhat interested in and see how large the programs are and how much work it is going to take (whether or not you can handle it). As much as cheer is important you still have to do well academically in order to even make mat and compete for the team. For your parents sake I would look deep into the academic side of the University since it is usually them paying the tution or their names as co-signers on a student loan.

To be honest I don't even know what I want to major in lol
I'm just going to test the waters of different classes while at college
and yes I suppose that is true
UofL is always where I have wanted to go but there is also a lot of hype about HPU too
HPU still has an all girl team though right because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make a coed team at either college...
HPU no longer has a all-girl team...

just my opinion but you should NEVER choose a school only b/c of the cheer program. You should really dig into what you want to do with your life post-cheer. In other words when Cheer is over(and yes that time will come). Your education should be the motivation for what college you choose and cheer should be secondary if that's something you also want to do... Again just my opinion, have a great day!

Back