Main Base Help?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 5, 2012
I know there are a million threads about main basing and basing in general but this is kind of a different story. I think i am too weak to hold up the stunt.Anyways, i was a flyer last year but now i base. My flyer is maybe a few pounds lighter than me. She barely squeezes in the air so have a hard time lifting her. When she does its still very heavy. My flyer is also inflexible( she came at the end of september). When she pulls her stuff she leans to the side and bends her knee. My and the secondary base finally switched the other day but she said main basing hurts her shoulders. Does anyone have any tips on how to get stronger? Yes i do lift with my legs.

if you are supposed to be main base from now on you should do some lifting work additional to cheerleading.
actually you need strong tricep and a correct technique to lockout at the top to hold her with as little strengh as possible.
a strong core and back so you don´t hurt yourself while stunting.

i would suggest to add some sort of push ups, V ups and chinups.
you will see an improvement after just a few weeks of training with just a few exercises.

and most important... teach your flyer to not bend her knee, squeeze , be tight.. :)

Definatly work out. But dont push yourself. If your flyer stays tight and locks all the time it actually makes them lighter (or feels like it). Make sure they they are as tight as possible and you should be great:)

Definatly work out. But dont push yourself. If your flyer stays tight and locks all the time it actually makes them lighter (or feels like it). Make sure they they are as tight as possible and you should be great:)

if you are supposed to be main base from now on you should do some lifting work additional to cheerleading.
actually you need strong tricep and a correct technique to lockout at the top to hold her with as little strengh as possible.
a strong core and back so you don´t hurt yourself while stunting.

i would suggest to add some sort of push ups, V ups and chinups.
you will see an improvement after just a few weeks of training with just a few exercises.

and most important... teach your flyer to not bend her knee, squeeze , be tight.. :)

Thanks you guys.Over the summer i was actually i side so this is very new to me. :)

Also if you would like to, try practicing your handstand , against a wall. Since that is the postition you hold in a stunt. If you can't hold youself up it will be hard to keep your flyer up later. Keep timing youself, maybe start at 40 seconds and try to work youself up to 2 minutes. We have to do this at pratice all the time and it really helps! And it helps improve your tumbling ;) Good luck!

In addition to what everyone else said: Try to put all the speed and strength into the first quarter of the stunt, as in: if you (and your side base) manage to get speed and explosiveness right away, the rest of the lifting will be that much easier, promise! :)

if you go to a gym use the arm machines, start out with low weight and then move up as you go. do 10-12 reps three times on each machine. as time goes on you will definitely see an improvement. but also make sure you continue doing leg work and cardio to burn the fat and make sure you replacing it with muscle! I am a college cheerleader. I came into college as a strong main base but ever since i started lifting it has helped a ton more I can do more and am much much stronger!

Since you used to be a flyer you have experience. I have found that because I used to be a flyer I can help my flyer a lot. I know what it feels like under her and I know what our group can do to fix it. You can try to give your flyer suggestions and tell her to STRETCH a lot, this will help her so that she doesn't feel the need to bend her knee or lean. Also, don't focus solely on strength but also on your basing technique. You could be the strongest person on your team but without technique it is difficult to have successful stunts. Good luck :)

Back