Major Bhs Issues, But Zero Answers. Help ?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 10, 2012
I just started tumbling only three months ago; and I mean cartwheels and everything.
I'm moved up to a Level 2 & I'm supposed to have my BHS by Nov. but no one or nothing seems to help!
Some don't even want me to throw it, and the few times I tried to throw it, my coach said I wasn't trying or I just tried to do a tuck.
I have been stretching my shoulders and back like CRAZY for the past two months, and I even do a weight lifting program. But my coaches won't even let me do anything and I don't know what to do anymore. I have scheduled private lessons but they seem to always fall through. How am I supposed to gain a skill when no one believes I can do it?
I'm not saying I have it at all, but you should work at it, by throwing it right? How am I going to learn it without ever doing it.
I've litteraly thrown it three times.
I have no idea what to do anymore, I'm even thinking about quitting cause I feel like I'm hopeless.

Oh and I do all the BHS drills like jumping back, snap downs, roundoffs, ect.

1. Your coaches shouldn't be telling you to throw a skill you don't have.
2. You're absolutely correct that repetition is key. You should be in the gym, getting spotted and corrected as often as possible.
3. If private lessons fall through don't schedule them. Sign up for a class (or classes, the more the better) and make sure you do at least 50 per class--it's better if you can't even count how many you've done.

I hope you don't get down on yourself. It takes a while to learn tumbling skills. Kudos to you for getting as much as you have in just 3 months! I sincerely hope you've gone through all the appropriate progressions.

You can do it! My gym has a tumbling class, does yours? Thats where i got mine. My cheer coaches put 0 effort into our tumbling.

Your coach won't let you do it unless you're ready. You might think you're ready, but you aren't necessarily ready. Keep doing drills in the gym and at home, and they'll believe in you.

Tumbling class is a necessity, if your private lessons never workout, look into a class. You shouldn't just throw a skill unspotted that hasn't been perfected spotted. A weightlifting program will help, but applying the right technique in a controlled and safe way is going to help you the most. Your coach should try and help you correct those mistakes that make it look like a tuck. i also struggled (struggle) with my bhs, it took me 2 gyms and I've finally found the one that clicked. One day, your tumbling will just click, you need to have confidence!

You should be going to the gym and getting spotted properly by a coach and then when your ready you can do it by yourself. Tumbling doesn't happen in a blink of an eye it takes practice, keep trying and getting spotted and it will improve.

Back