Makeup For Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

diazmomof1

Cheer Parent
May 8, 2016
My daughter is 12 turning 13 in August. She is trying out at a small D2 gym in Odessa, FL. This will be her 3rd season of cheer, but second of allstars and at this gym. I've read on the boards that it is good to wear makeup for tryouts. My question is how much should she wear? She is a mascara and lip gloss kind of girl. Would her comp lipstick- a bright fuchsia color- be too much when worn with her comp bow from last year? Any tips for food the days of tryouts? Thank you and I apologize for the long post with lots of questions.

I'd check with the gym because each is different. Our gym prefers a natural look unless you're competition ready. A bow is always a good idea, though.
How long are tryouts? CP just ate normally, but tryouts were only 2.5 hours.

I'd check with the gym because each is different. Our gym prefers a natural look unless you're competition ready. A bow is always a good idea, though.
How long are tryouts? CP just ate normally, but tryouts were only 2.5 hours.
They generally like the girls to be more dressed up in regards to the face and hair as long as it doesn't interfere with their routine. Tryouts are 3.5 hours long. I'm thinking I will send her with a Gatorade and water, as well as a light snack, such as a non messy fruit or veggie.

I've never known any gym to require or ask for make-up, normally it's hair up with a bow in the gym's colors or in all black.

They generally like the girls to be more dressed up in regards to the face and hair as long as it doesn't interfere with their routine. Tryouts are 3.5 hours long. I'm thinking I will send her with a Gatorade and water, as well as a light snack, such as a non messy fruit or veggie.
Sounds like you know what the makeup needs to be, then.

@SL&AM Thank you. She is trying out for a S3 coed. She was on a S2 this past season. Her only problem is not having tumbling. She stunted almost the whole routine and flew, based, backed, and spotted. She doesn't have a back handspring, though. She does however have incredible body positions and is very strong for a girl her size and age.

Good luck to her! I know that tumbling seems to be the focus, but if they need her other skills they may overlook that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never known any gym to require or ask for make-up, normally it's hair up with a bow in the gym's colors or in all black.
I'm going to disagree, especially since this is a tryout for a senior team. Most gyms, no matter how small, are looking for a well presented cheerleader, and make up is part of that. A senior team is going to want their athletes to look like senior aged kids even though the low age is 10. I would recommend high pony, bow and makeup - more of a natural look than stage ready. Good luck to your CP!

I'm going to disagree, especially since this is a tryout for a senior team. Most gyms, no matter how small, are looking for a well presented cheerleader, and make up is part of that. A senior team is going to want their athletes to look like senior aged kids even though the low age is 10. I would recommend high pony, bow and makeup - more of a natural look than stage ready. Good luck to your CP!
This 100%.
Look presentable especially for a senior team. Don't glam out but look fierce and ready to kill it. First impressions are always important.

We have never been asked to wear makeup to tryouts, and I've always been careful to make sure my kids aren't the type who look like they are in it to be pageant girls. But if the gym asked for makeup, I'd do it. I'd go with the mascara and lip gloss though, and make sure it's waterproof because most gyms are so freaking hot this time of year. Good luck to her :)

Does it say that in your try out packet? I'm asking because we've always been with programs that give the same paperwork out to every single athlete who walks in the door whether they're a 3 year old Tiny or an 18 year old Senior. Each packet always list a do and don't of try out like do be on time, don't chew gum...that type of stuff. Anyhow, my point is, all three listed make-up as don't for try outs. Where we were at in MO was very conservative and make-up wasn't really a thing even on stage, but I've found the same info to be given at every gym local to us now that we're in the south. So I'm curious if it's something people just do or something gyms specifically ask for?

Does it say that in your try out packet? I'm asking because we've always been with programs that give the same paperwork out to every single athlete who walks in the door whether they're a 3 year old Tiny or an 18 year old Senior. Each packet always list a do and don't of try out like do be on time, don't chew gum...that type of stuff. Anyhow, my point is, all three listed make-up as don't for try outs. Where we were at in MO was very conservative and make-up wasn't really a thing even on stage, but I've found the same info to be given at every gym local to us now that we're in the south. So I'm curious if it's something people just do or something gyms specifically ask for?

When I tried out for HS cheer as a freshman, we were told to come to tryouts "performance ready." Our game day makeup was enhanced eyes, cheeks and lips.

For allstar, my packets never said anything about makeup, but I haven't cheered since 2011. But, putting on lipstick and blush wasn't going to turn my death full into a gorgeous double. It's also not going to turn a dorito scorpion into a needle.

Latest posts

Back