Making Varsity For High School

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It really depends on the school you're trying out at. At my school, everyone on varsity has at least a running tuck and is working and extremely close to a standing tuck. But at the school across town, many of their varsity cheerleaders don't even have a standing backhandspring.

I know a big part of our score at tryouts is overall appearance. Go into your clinics and tryouts looking your best.. try not to have hair flying all over your face or shorts that don't fit you well. This is an easy thing to do and can help you to look more put together. Also be CONFIDENT and have a good attitude! Throw a nice smile on your face and look happy.. even if your clinic or tryout isn't going perfectly. There's nothing worse than a slumpy, boring cheerleader. haha
Be tight with your motions, practice your dance or cheer or whatever they give you as much as you can so you can go into the day of tryouts as prepared and calm as possible. And if they do give you a cheer, BE LOUD. And throughout your whole tryout look at the judges. Thats a lot of what high school cheerleading is about- being able to interact with an audience and to lead a crowd and make them excited about whats going on. No ones going to be excited about a game if the cheerleaders aren't peppy and excited too.

Good luck at your tryouts!

Like kaileymc said, it really depends on your school. I recommend to just work on your skills in all areas in the time leading up to tryouts so you are the best you can be. Also, you know the school and its standards for the squad so if there are any areas that they are particularly good at or focus on, then work on those especially.

When tryouts come around my main tip is to be confident in yourself and your skills. Don't compare yourself to others and just go out and show them what you got :). Also make sure you look nice going in. Have your hair back and away from your face, wear something you feel comfortable in, and follow the dress code if one is given. Be as loud and as sharp as you can be when cheering and dancing, and remember to look at the judges. I hope this helps and good luck
biggrin.png

The best thing for trying to make Varsity is to STRETCH and make sure you keep working out. My school is slightly slack about conditioning but when we do...if we haven't been staying on top of our work outs...it hurts xD

I'm a coach for a team that got completely cut from their school last year and with all of my new rules, a lot of my girls did not like the way I ran our tryouts this year. No matter if you meet the "tumbling qualifications" or whatnot, you need to make sure that you STAND OUT! There are a few girls that will need some extra help this summer with their facials, arm movements and tumbling skills but they stayed positive and believed in themselves, thats why they made my squad! :)

like everyone else said, it depends on the school like there are schools like Dunbar and there are schools like the ones in my city that dont or barely tumble. but these apply for any team:
  • good jumps - point those toes and try to get them hyperextended.
  • lock those arm!- In school cheer, the number one thing they get on you about is locking your arms in high and low Vs and stuff
  • dance skill- my school doesn't have good tumbling skill but the number one thing they look at during tryouts is your dance skills (mostly because if you can remember a dance, you can remember a cheer)
  • good mood!- be positive, friendly, and cheerful!! no one wants to be at a football game looking at cheerleaders with sucky attitudes!
  • loud clear voice- self explanatory. be loud and be clear when saying cheers. and take it seriously
  • be serious- be nice and friendly but be serious and focused so they can see that your dedicated
hope you make it!

It depends on the school :) For my school you have to have rdoff bhs tuck, and standing tuck :) Be full of spirit, and just be confident! Youll never make it if you dont have a positive attitude! Make friends, and practice practice practice!

Back