College Maryland Cutting A&t

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I just read the report from the President of the University of Maryland about cutting programs and his committee has A&T on the list of programs to cut. It appears they will be cutting 8 teams and A&T is one of them. Wondering what people think about this and how it will impact NCATA in getting in with the NCAA?

http://www.president.umd.edu/pdfs/final_report_Nov_11_2011.pdf
Page 14 is where it lists the sports they plan on cutting which they think should be effective at the end of the school year.

I know that they have other recommendations on what to do but I have read that swimming was already cut so it seems that they are going with removing the programs.

I hate to see a program like Maryland's get cut, but I feel like this will be a problem for more then just Maryland eventually. Something that I believe was brought up during the trial last year and since then regarding getting NCAA status is will this bring money to the Universities that have these programs. The fact that Maryland is saying it doesn't bring in enough money so it is on the chopping block may hurt chances of other Universities picking up A&T. If this trickles down it could hurt NCATA's chances with the NCAA.

I hope that they decide to keep the program at Maryland, but if they don't I am glad that they will still continue to pay the scholarships for athletes who are already on the team until their graduation.

I would assume that UMD will be keeping the side line teams as they are "club" and part of the football and basketball programs. I can see the sideline team becoming the competitive team with STUNT. I dont know if the team would have been cut if it was still listed as a Cheerleading team where it is listed as Acrobatics and Tumbling now. I dont think people understand what the team is.

Its a shame they are cutting these teams so they can spend more on the remaining teams and fall in line with the rest of the ACC.

I am pretty sure the sidelines cheerleaders will be staying seeing as how they don't cost as much since there is no scholarships involved. I can see them moving in the direction of STUNT because as of right now STUNT teams are not teams that have athletes on scholarship.
I do think that it still would have been cut even if it were still titled cheerleading simply because they were still getting scholarships and that is where they are losing money and not gaining enough to cover it. They may have kept the team but they would have still cut the scholarships.
It really is a shame that they are going to cut it (I know it isn't set in stone that it will be cut but it is looking like it will for sure happen). I wonder though if since these athletes will still be receiving their scholarships if they will just join the sideline cheerleaders and go back to Daytona in the D1A all girl division or possibly stick with the NCATA route.

Sideline cheer will remain sideline cheer. They are just the spirit program. Acro &Tumbling will be Comp Cheer again. Sideline does compete, but would not be in the same category as comp cheer. Comp cheer would go back to winning national titles as they have in the past.

The most important thing that everyone must realize is that UMD made a commitment to recognizing cheer as a sport, which it is! With this unfortunate circumstance, we are going to have to fight harder to be recognized.

If you read the document regarding these cuts, you will also see that the team will keep their scholarships until they graduate. There is so much to understand, but bottom line is we all need to stick together and support the cheer program. Go on the site everyone and vote please!

Also the link to the President's letter which basically says that by Friday the 18th they should know for sure if they are cutting the 8 teams.
http://www.umd.edu/UMDnews/pres_message_111411.cfm

SAVE UMD ACROBATICS AND TUMBLING

https://www.facebook.com/groups/287550624609892/

Please join this group to show your support, Thanks!

So is Comp Cheer going to go back to Daytona or will they continue going to NCATA?

The ultimate goal is to remain Acro & Tumbling and to continue competing in the NCATA. We will continue to stay positive in hopes that with enough support, we will continue to progress as athletes in the sport of cheer"

at the risk of this post seeming like I'm downing A&T or Maryland I want to preface this with it is NEITHER of those two...​
Simply put with the money that athletic departments spend on a yearly basis for numerous athletic teams that bring in ZERO revenue its not surprising to me A&T is on the list to be cut at Maryland. Aside from the fact A&T bring in no revenue its not a recognized NCAA sport either so the numbers can't be counted officially towards their title IX compliance. As an Athletic dept it seems like a no-brainer that this would be one on the list to be cut. This really stinks for those athletes if it does end up getting cut but to me its not surprising.​

The ultimate goal is to remain Acro & Tumbling and to continue competing in the NCATA. We will continue to stay positive in hopes that with enough support, we will continue to progress as athletes in the sport of cheer"

How will they be able to do this? They will not have the backing of the AD or School. I thought that it is a requirement for NCATA to have this.

The decision has not been made yet! It is only a recommendation. There are other alternatives that the President may enlist in order to save these programs. A&T can be a revenue generating program. The stands are always filled with people at the meets. In time, NCAA will recognize the program as a sport. STUNT is going for the same goal!

From an analytical viewpoint: First, A&T is the most successful. Second,there are more roster spots,42, on the A&T team. Therefore, the program elimination would negatively effect more student athletes than any other individual program elimination of the eight listed. ( Note running at 43 is more, but Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, and XX country are lumped together). Third, the per A&T student athlete cost of $14,000+ is the second lowest of the eight programs. So, financially the A&T program gives more bang for the buck. More recognition, more bang for the buck. KEEPA&T! I know I pitted A&T against the other seven programs listed. But, frankly, that is what the school is expecting, and what you will have to do. My recommendation would be to keep A&T, Outdoor track, Cross country and eliminating the rest (including Indoor track, which is almost a duplicate of Outdoor, same roster so the track team still competes, just one season.) Thus saving $2.498,630 and effecting only 81 student athletes. Keeping Tumbling, Outdoor track, and Xcountry only costs $1,078,127 and retains 85 student athletes!

How will they be able to do this? They will not have the backing of the AD or School. I thought that it is a requirement for NCATA to have this.

NCATA does not now and never did exclude any club programs from competing in their format. Club teams were welcome to compete in NCATA. Unfortunately any Universities that wanted to compete in the NCATA format were banned by NCA from College Nationals in Daytona.

at the risk of this post seeming like I'm downing A&T or Maryland I want to preface this with it is NEITHER of those two...​
Simply put with the money that athletic departments spend on a yearly basis for numerous athletic teams that bring in ZERO revenue its not surprising to me A&T is on the list to be cut at Maryland. Aside from the fact A&T bring in no revenue its not a recognized NCAA sport either so the numbers can't be counted officially towards their title IX compliance. As an Athletic dept it seems like a no-brainer that this would be one on the list to be cut. This really stinks for those athletes if it does end up getting cut but to me its not surprising.​

Can you lead me to where you found the facts that A & T does not bring in revenue?

There are plenty of girls who dedicate their whole childhood to the sport of cheerleading! It is a real honor to be deemed one of the best cheerleaders and to be selected as an elite member of the UMD Acro & Tumbling team. It is important in life to be recognized for the things we strive to be successful in. The team needs everyone's support!

Back