Mental Block Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 2, 2014
I'm a jv cheerleader with major tumbling mental blocks. I had to skip a bwo because of back issues, but now I have a spring, but I threw it and got a concussion. so I'm terrified to throw any tumbling.. does anyone have tips or anything that may be able to help me?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I had a terrible mental block with back handsprings too but you have to just let your faith be bigger than your fear & if you think about it if you do it like you know how to then you won't get hurt but if you get scared and bail then you really can get hurt. Take a lot of tumbling classes and throw it as much as you can and then slowly you'll get more and more comfortable with it

Try Doctor Alison Arnold. I use her Train Your Mind Visualization CD and it helped me get my back handspring. Just be aware that most of her stuff is geared toward gymnasts, so she might use gymnastics lingo instead of cheer.

docaliarnold.com

Fierce, Fearless, Focused

I actually went through practically the same thing. I used to have a back handspring when i was younger but then that along with stunting wrong caused a stress fracture in my lower back. I had to take a few months off of cheer and my doctor recommended never going back. Obviously that wasn't going to happen... Anyways, I was terrified of the for the longest time after that because it was like i could hear how it sounded when my back broke every time i went for my handspring. What I did to get over it was I just forced myself to do it. I refused to bail. I threw it with a spot for almost year before I worked up the courage to do it alone though. There is a Bible verse that i used to give me the courage to do it. Its 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. I repeated that to myself before i went for any tumbling. I wrote 2 Tim 1:7 on my left cheer shoe & no fear on my right. Now I have a layout! I still say "no fear" before i throw any pass and before i go on the floor. So you just need to get something like that that reminds you that you have nothing to be afraid of! :)

I actually went through practically the same thing. I used to have a back handspring when i was younger but then that along with stunting wrong caused a stress fracture in my lower back. I had to take a few months off of cheer and my doctor recommended never going back. Obviously that wasn't going to happen... Anyways, I was terrified of the for the longest time after that because it was like i could hear how it sounded when my back broke every time i went for my handspring. What I did to get over it was I just forced myself to do it. I refused to bail. I threw it with a spot for almost year before I worked up the courage to do it alone though. There is a Bible verse that i used to give me the courage to do it. Its 2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. I repeated that to myself before i went for any tumbling. I wrote 2 Tim 1:7 on my left cheer shoe & no fear on my right. Now I have a layout! I still say "no fear" before i throw any pass and before i go on the floor. So you just need to get something like that that reminds you that you have nothing to be afraid of! :)
You. I like you and I LOVE your push through and don't give up attitude!!!! Bravo!

I had the worst mental block ever with my round off tuck a couple months ago,, I was crying and scared because my mind was saying no I cant do it but my body was saying I could . The best way is to get someone to spot you're handsprings and honestly you really just have to trust them because they wouldn't be spotting you if they knew they could hurt you - level 3 cheerleader

1. get coaches to spot you for the skill, don't be afraid to ask, they are there to help
2. tell yourself you can do it - whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right
3. if you can, practice the skills on tumble tracks/ into foam pits etc.

Good Luck!

I went through the same thing with my bhs even though I had higher skills, I landed on my head one day doing a bhs. It took months to get over my mental block. What I did was had someone video tape me tumbling with a spot and then watch it to see that I was actually doing it by myself. Another thing is that you have to trust yourself and trust your coaches. As a coach, I would never tell an athlete that they could do a skill if they really couldn't. Just believe in yourself.

We believe that what you refer to as a "mental block" is initiated by a "muscle block". Try identifying your physical weak points and strengthen them. Do muscle memory drills using resistance training. Talk to an elite training gym like Top Gun and you will never find a "mental block". Don't rush through progressions. You are missing skills and critical physical development.

my CP is having a huge problem with her standing BHS. She has her ROBHS and can do a 100 BHS as long as she has a spot. But when it gets time to do one on her own she refuses. She feel once while throwing it and is scared of getting hurt. She has privates and her coach says she can throw it and if she does he will move her to the next level class. She has to have the skill for her team as well. Any suggestions to help her? She was in tears tonight and refused to do it.

I'm a jv cheerleader with major tumbling mental blocks. I had to skip a bwo because of back issues, but now I have a spring, but I threw it and got a concussion. so I'm terrified to throw any tumbling.. does anyone have tips or anything that may be able to help me?

I had a mental block for a year on my roundoff backhandspring tuck and a little competition helped me. There was this other girl one my team who joined halfway through the year because we needed a base so she didn't have much tumbling (running handspring on a level 4) and she threw her tuck one practice and I realized if she can throw it, I can throw it so I threw it and have had it since.

my CP is having a huge problem with her standing BHS. She has her ROBHS and can do a 100 BHS as long as she has a spot. But when it gets time to do one on her own she refuses. She feel once while throwing it and is scared of getting hurt. She has privates and her coach says she can throw it and if she does he will move her to the next level class. She has to have the skill for her team as well. Any suggestions to help her? She was in tears tonight and refused to do it.

Did she have it before and lost it or is she still trying to get it for the first time?

I have to think that whatever back issue kept you from doing a backwalkover my have something to do with why you got a concussion throwing a BHS in the first place and why you are blocking now. My CP struggles with back and shoulder flexibility, and it took her a lot longer to get a BWO and BHS than other kids. Per her coaches, doing EITHER BWO or BHS without the proper back and shoulder flexibility puts too much strain on the lower back and is unsafe. It can also cause you not to be able to get your hands to the floor at the right time, leading to hitting your head like you apparently did. It is very difficult to achieve the proper handstand position as your hands hit the ground if your back and shoulders do not open up enough, and if your hips are not over your shoulders when your hands hit the ground, it is tough to keep your head off the floor. Perhaps working on getting your back healthy and achieving the BWO would help you. At our gym you are required to have it before working a BHS for the reasons I just stated.

Did she have it before and lost it or is she still trying to get it for the first time?

She has had it, she threw it for tryouts. but her tumbling coaches usually spot her on it during class.Its when they back away and tell her to do it herself that she freezes.

Back