Mental Block Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

She has had it, she threw it for tryouts. but her tumbling coaches usually spot her on it during class.Its when they back away and tell her to do it herself that she freezes.
Is there anywhere that she will do it herself? Trampoline, wedge, etc? If she can find a spot she can do it herself that can be a good way to build her confidence. On a trampoline you can slowly add mats to the top so it has less of a spring, and with a wedge she can move down it until she can do it on the floor. I know for me this has really helped me feel more confident in my skills. When I'm getting spotted all the time I kind of feel hopeless but when I find somewhere to do it myself and can switch between spotting on the ground and doing it myself it really helps me, plus I get used to doing it w/o a coach in a place that I'm comfortable and know I won't faceplant. :D

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

IMO the best approach to mental blocks is having a coach spot the CP/gymnast on each part of the skill on a soft floor (like in the case of a robhsbt, start w/ spoting the round off, then move to the backhandspring, then the robhs, then finally up to the robhsbt). Private lessons in a true private situation (like when the gym is pretty much empty) seem to work good for this because it eliminates a lot of the external pressures. Like doing a private to work on your mental block when the gym is full of people who know you have a mental block is still pretty high stress if you know what I mean ;).

OMG this all sounds so familiar! My CP has a major mental block when trying to throw her BHS. Only difference is she's never had it. She's been learning since May. When her coach spots her she throws it fine. If she tries on her own she has a major anxiety attack. I mean shaking & crying. I feel bad for her but I know she wants it. She pushes herself until she can't go anymore but we have no idea how to get past this block.

IMO the best approach to mental blocks is having a coach spot the CP/gymnast on each part of the skill on a soft floor (like in the case of a robhsbt, start w/ spoting the round off, then move to the backhandspring, then the robhs, then finally up to the robhsbt). Private lessons in a true private situation (like when the gym is pretty much empty) seem to work good for this because it eliminates a lot of the external pressures. Like doing a private to work on your mental block when the gym is full of people who know you have a mental block is still pretty high stress if you know what I mean ;).
when she has her private the gym has maybe 5 people in it. This week some of her friends were there and I think that freaked her out a little. Her friend was also in a private at the exact same time and they are both working on the exact same thing. Their coaches also try to have them compete against each other which they both hate. My CP's coach told her he would not let anyone give her private lessons again if she did not throw it.

when she has her private the gym has maybe 5 people in it. This week some of her friends were there and I think that freaked her out a little. Her friend was also in a private at the exact same time and they are both working on the exact same thing. Their coaches also try to have them compete against each other which they both hate. My CP's coach told her he would not let anyone give her private lessons again if she did not throw it.

That's awful the coach said that she would get any more privates if she didn't throw a skill she's mental blocking on :(. That's just adding more pressure.

Back