High School Mental Block

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
Ok so this past week my best flyer all the sudden is having mental blocks on her full downs, full baskets etc anything with a twist..Nothing happened to her no fall, nothing traumatic and when I ask whats going on she just says she doesn't know..She doesn't fully commit to the twist and will get half way around and stop and bring her arm out which in turn smacks the backspot..I've pulled anything with a twist out of her routine for now but she will have to work through it--what have you done to get your cheerleaders through a mental block?

I should also note--she can still do her full downs from two legs both at extension and prep level, and one legged full down at prep level it's the one legged extensions full downs she starting to block on.

tell her to touch the opposite bum cheek as she rotates... It forces a tight quick full rotation. If she's twisting left tell her to go for the right butt cheek with her palm and look for a focus point at the end. Another good excersise.. Have her twist in the 1 leg extension a few times with her lib or stretch leg down at the side (like a partial J up position)...to get the "feeling" she's at a full extension with both feet.
Heads up: I used to have a girl a few years back with a block for about a month and come to find it wasn't a block at all... She wasn't getting enough pop from her bases to feel a lift for a full rotation because her back spot was pulling down as they were setting up...while I couldn't "see it at first"... It was merely a "comfort" issue with the timing of her group and she didn't want to say anything out of fear of "blaming someone" ...

Ok so this past week my best flyer all the sudden is having mental blocks on her full downs, full baskets etc anything with a twist..Nothing happened to her no fall, nothing traumatic and when I ask whats going on she just says she doesn't know..She doesn't fully commit to the twist and will get half way around and stop and bring her arm out which in turn smacks the backspot..I've pulled anything with a twist out of her routine for now but she will have to work through it--what have you done to get your cheerleaders through a mental block?
There are two approaches that suit two different people. Some people just need to stop thinking and take that leap of faith. Some people need to go back to basics and build up their confidence. But BEWARE, the first approach can also make it worse, so I would recommend the second.

It may not be a mental block, so I'd be careful about calling it this with her, as it may mentally make it worse. You can try going back to basics and build up to the stunts. Or, (or in addition), have her come up with mental choreography- basically have words or cues for each part of the stunt so that her mind knows exactly what to focus on in order to execute. If she is feeling fearful ahead of time, try some deep breathing and positive reminders that she knows what she's doing. If you have video of these stunts have her watch them (of herself) to help regain confidence. Since it just started, hopefully these ideas will help her get back on track ASAP.

Latest posts

Back