All-Star Mental Blocks Effecting Placement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I flat refuse to call an athlete out in public, but she had a block on front tumbling.

Fair enough! (thought you may be referring to the prior "called out" athlete. I agree that calling out an athlete isn't the right thing to do). Could this athlete still tumble at all, or just the front tumbling?

Fair enough! (thought you may be referring to the prior "called out" athlete. I agree that calling out an athlete isn't the right thing to do). Could this athlete still tumble at all, or just the front tumbling?

No, she could still tumble, just blocked on front tumbling. But it was a specialty in the routine and she worked her booty off to get it back. Yeah, that was a tearful Mamarazzi moment when I watched the vid...both times ;)

Can mental blocks be permanent? When do you classify a mental block as a fear or a phobia? What if the cheerleader really wants to do the tumbling pass, believes she can do it, and even knows her coach is spotting her, but every time she goes for it she stops because her brain/ body won't go for it? Please help!

Can mental blocks be permanent? When do you classify a mental block as a fear or a phobia? What if the cheerleader really wants to do the tumbling pass, believes she can do it, and even knows her coach is spotting her, but every time she goes for it she stops because her brain/ body won't go for it? Please help!
I think that mental blocks are only permanent if you let them be. Most of the time it is something the athlete really wants to do and has done before and for some reason or another that little switch in their brain that says they can do it turns off. I just recently got over a block that lasted a year and a half where I went from throwing doubles to being scared to do a ro hs. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I realized that I am now a more confident cheerleader and tumbler because of it. If its something you really want bad enough, you just have to find the right way to attack and be patient (even though patience is one of hte most impossible things when dealing with blocks.) If you work hard enough, I think anyone can overcome any "block" with the right coaching and perseverance.

I guess I do not understand what the difference is in keeping an athlete with a mental block and one that never had the skill to begin with. If that athlete with the metal block can still perform the other parts of the routine perfectly fine why would any gym, big or small, remove them from the team? It is no different then putting an athlete on the team that never had the skill that the other athlete had. If they can allow one athlete without the skill to stay on the team why not allow one to stay that has the capability to gain that skill back? The reason that I bring this up is that when watching routines I see many times athletes that throw nothing more then their jumps to tuck. If they can stay on a team because they are star flyer or beast backspot why can't an athlete who excels at every other portion of the routine but has a metal block on tumbling stay on the team?

I can understand why a gym would do this and at least they are honest about it up front, but that doesn't mean I agree with it. I feel there is way more to a routine then tumbling and unless that is the only thing they do in the routine there should always be a spot on their team.

I think putting it in writing is a good idea.

Side note: Ive had a mental block for almost a year and a half with twisting skills. I used to have speciality standing and specialty running doubles along with toe fulls all day long. I just started getting over my standing full block on tumble trak and into a pit. I have put the past three weeks into serious dedication of getting over it. Yesterday I did a 'private' with one of our best tumbling coaches (Gary Reggin) and threw my first running full in over a year and a half. Im hoping to get my double in the next month or two. I am scared crapless to double. I have NO IDEA where the block came from, other then the fact I fell on a standing full (completely random) one day about a year and a half ago.

I had a friend who had a daughter that had a terrible mental block. It was so painful to watch her try to tumble. She did not want to let her team down but she could not make her body do it. once the season was over and she was just doing open tumble and the pressure was off she made so much progress. For some kids being placed down a level for a year might be a good thing, take the pressure off them and let them regain their skills on their own time and not feel like they are letting anyone down. Luckily we have never had a mental block so I do not know from experience but it sounds like a good idea.

Mmk! I see now, i think every one deserves the oppertunity to cheer regardless of there abilities, hence the reason for Special Needs :) But i see what you mean.

While I love the Special Needs division... i don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. I don't want to take this entire thread so PM if you want to discuss this further.

I think putting it in writing is a good idea.

Side note: Ive had a mental block for almost a year and a half with twisting skills. I used to have speciality standing and specialty running doubles along with toe fulls all day long. I just started getting over my standing full block on tumble trak and into a pit. I have put the past three weeks into serious dedication of getting over it. Yesterday I did a 'private' with one of our best tumbling coaches (Gary Reggin) and threw my first running full in over a year and a half. Im hoping to get my double in the next month or two. I am scared crapless to double. I have NO IDEA where the block came from, other then the fact I fell on a standing full (completely random) one day about a year and a half ago.

omg good job!!!!!! that actually made me smile because i know the feeling of just doing it :D dont be scared to double because your body knows how to do it... just gotta be confident and not keep thinking of "okay at least i went". i mean you should be happy to go, but now that you got that thought out of the way start thinking on pulling harder

omg good job!!!!!! that actually made me smile because i know the feeling of just doing it :D dont be scared to double because your body knows how to do it... just gotta be confident and not keep thinking of "okay at least i went". i mean you should be happy to go, but now that you got that thought out of the way start thinking on pulling harder

Thanks. Im actually back and fixing me round off and my back handspring - Learning things the correct and proper way is the way to get rid of mental blocks. I am up to a layout now :)

Back