Middle School Stunts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 31, 2012
I was under the impression that the only things that middle school squads were prohibited from doing that high school squads were allowed were tosses (basket etc) and double downs. However, while my squad was at camp the instructors had a whole list of things they were not allowed to do. I'm trying to iron out their competition routine at the moment and some of the things we were told their age group wasn't allowed seem strange and I can't find reference to it anywhere on the internet. So my question is what is not legal for middle school?

It really really really depends on where you live and whether you're a state sanctioned sport.

Ex. in my area stunts can't go above prep and the only tumbling allowed ore BHS

It will depend on what rule set your state/area uses. Most will use either NFHS or AACCA.

The only difference stated for AACCA is that they aren't allowed to perform tosses.
Here is the link to those rules.

AACCA

We're in Missouri and we compete through the Missouri Cheer Coaches Association but their website is really horrible and I've had a hard time getting an answer out of them. I'm fairly certain we use AACCA rules but for all I know the MCCA could have some other strange set. I only got this squad in the end of May and the previous coach has washed her hands of the program so in a lot of ways I am floundering.

I found this on the left hand side of the MCAA competition webpage in orange ( missouricheercoaches.org - Competition Information ):

"MCCA follows the rules and interpretations of the National Federation of High Schools. These are the same rules which govern Missouri sideline cheerleaders at all practices, games, and other performances. To obtain a ruling in line with the NFHS please contact MCCA President, Suzy Thompson or the NFHS's official contact in Missouri in the MSHSAA office. The latter will only provide an official interpretation related to NFHS safety rules; MSHSAA does not regulate or supervise competitive cheer. Specific questions related to MCCA competitions are to be directed to Suzy Thompson or Nancy Hequembourg.

All sideline cheer coaches are required to attend a MSHSAA Rules meeting in August if their team is performing in the fall or in Sept/Oct if their team is strictly performing in the basketball season."

Back