All-Star Missing Practices

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For our gym, if it's something with family or school or the doctors appointment or something you can't get out of then thats excused but you have to tell our coaches ahead of time. If people are just bailing bc they want to go out with their friends instead, you get the three strikes rule. Three strikes and you're off the team

I had an old team that had really bad struggles with being late...so my coach instated a rule that for every minute you were late, you had to throw 2 standing handsprings or tucks at the end of conditioning. Let me tell you, that rule REALLY works haha. You could do something along those lines for a missed practice, as well...but obviously more than 2 skills for an entire practice.

This was an inconsistent rule, but on my HS team, if you missed, an alternate filled in for you at practice. If the alternate could hit all your stunts and skills, they took your spot. Lol...scary

For my allstar team, in the summer, they are more lenient because of vacations and such, but you still need an excuse why you are not there and need to notify the coaches. If your sick, they usually ask you to come in anyways and watch practices, unless you are contagious or its reallly bad. But during competition season, the coaches, and the team, do not like it when we miss practices. If you miss any practices in the 2 weeks before a competition, if they can find an alternate, they will replace you for that comp. If it is not 2 weeks before a competition and you just don't show up without calling or anything, they call you on your phone, and make you come in and pay for an extra tumbling class.

At my gym, you are excused if it is a family vacation, contagious illness, vomiting, school thing, a wedding/funeral. We also excuse kids for high school cheer as long as it isn't a weekly issue and as long as they aren't on our level 4 or 5 team. (high school cheer is not an excuse for these teams). You can rack up 2 unexcused absenses without any punishment but on the 3rd you are removed from the program. We have done it multiple times. We also have the rule that you cannot miss the practice before competition AT ALL. If you aren't at the prac before comp, you will be replaced for that competition. Our rules work really well. We have high attendance at all practices.

Seriously, missing practice is so bad during competition time. Having a doctors note or real illness is okay but I have girls missing for so many reasons like a dance, football games, and school functions, etc... I don't want to be a debbie downer but it take a teams comittment to get through the preparation for competition. I'm having a bad month with absences...:(

From a parent's perspective, consequences for a no-call no-show for practice are appreciated, as are limits on when you can miss practice, how many, and why. It is so so so so so incredibly frustrating when each week you are missing 3, 4, or 5 athletes on a team at each practice for whatever reason. It still amazes me the amount of people that go on vacation for a whole week in the middle of a school year!! I am paying a lot of money for my kid to participatient in this sport, and at times it feels like other people just don't take the committment side of participating as serious.

Back