All-Star Missing School For Competitions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't believe you miss so much school! It's important to study, so stay in school kids :)

I don't get it either. This is my daughter's 4th year of school. She missed like 5 days in kindergarden, got perfect attendance in 1st grade, missed 1 day last year because- get this- I signed her out at 11:25 and if you sign out before 11:30 it counts as a whole day :mad: and has perfect attendance this year. My kids are pretty healthy, don't get me wrong, but I certainly have figured out how to minimize the amount of school missed. It is absolutely eating me up inside that she will miss two days next year for Cheersport, and she was a little miffed as well.

i usually get my work before hand.. or at least i try t. i have one teacher who doesn't care at all he says its not an excused absence and i will just have to make it up when i get back.. which is weird because hes the track coach but if i have to many days out i just get a doc note and bring all my books and have one of my friends text me the work and i do it in the hotel room or on the plane or something . Also in my school you can only have 10 unexcused absences or the classes don't count and you have to re take them.

we get 11 excused absences. after the 11th , you lose credit. unless you have a crazy good reason. if you skip class or you parent doesn't call in, its an unexcused. i have missed about 60 hours of school. most for cheer, some for sick, and 1 for my cousins wedding. actually,im home sick right now! haha! but i think this is crazy, at my school if you leave 6min or more min. early its counted as absence! this one time my mom got me out like 10 minutes early to avoid all the traffic getting out my school (we were driving to Ohio and had practice that night) and they counted it as an absence! we did this about 4 times...then realized it counts as an absence. so in my last hour, i cant miss anymore after today! anyways, i usually try to get all my work and take my tests/quizzes before i leave. luckily, for cheersport ntls, break is the week we get back! so i only miss half of thursday and all day friday every year because break is always (besides one year) the week we return! and for indy, that monday is martin luther king day...and we always have that off! another time, we had a 2 day comp. in ohio (4.5hrs away) i had a half day on the friday and a late start on that monday we came back...how perfect!

This year (last year however you want to look at it) was my daughters first year. We went to Atlanta and Myrtle Beach which were both around 6 hours from home and for each one I got approved educational leave days. They get 3 per year here but have to be approved in advance. We took 1 for Atlanta and 2 for Myrtle Beach. We had another comp that was a few hours away and a two day so we were staying overnight and I picked my daughter up at like noon so she got credit for the entire day. Missing days was a big deal to her because if your grades are good and you dont miss alot (more than 2 days) then you dont have to take exams. She is homeschooling next year so we wont have to worry about it. THANK GOODNESS

Our gym coach writes a letter explaining the absence. This then qualifies for excused outside school sports absence.

Our school or school district implemented a new attendance policy this year that states that if you have x amount, I think it's 10, unexcused absences you begin to lose credit. But it's not followed up on or enforced. Cause some seniors skip waaay more than that and they've never gotten in trouble at all.

This thread just keeps making me feel so sad for our education system in general. Even the school I work at has no attendance policy and it absolutely kills me. There's one senior about to graduate who's missed 54 days and been tardy 78. Seriously? Sorry, maybe it's because both my parents are/have been teachers, but I just feel like education should be valued a heckuva lot more than it currently is in this country. Case in point, this thread, and all these schools with no attendance policies.

*Sorry, off soapbox*

I just wish that some of the cheer gyms took into account school schedules when booking competitions and traveling to the competitions. We've been at a gym where the coaches want to "experience" as much of the comp as they can and while they always say cheer comps are not vacation, they booked for example UCA from Thursday morning through Monday night to maximize the amount of time they can spend in the parks with their family. I also always despise when two comps that require significant traveling are planned for back to back weekends. The week in between becomes a crazy week of catching up on school not to mention laundry and sanity.

My mom usually writes in sick notes because those get excused but one time when I went to Jamfest SuperNationals in Indy she wrote that i competed at a National sporting/cheerleading event. but we don't know if that got excused or not... but it should :)

if i had to go away to a competition id say peace brochachos I'm going to a cheering comp. unexcused absences are not very important at my school :p

My cp's are still in grade school and as long as u send in a note just stating that we were out of town or they were sick they r pretty much ok with it. Plus if we are going to be gone for more than 3 days we can fill out a form and get the principle to ok a longer time off with no problems!

My mom wrote a note to my principal about the 4 days of school I had to miss for Worlds and she explained that my team was chosen to represent a company at the world championships (made it sound really dramatic and prestigious to a normal person) and all of the days I missed were excused :D

Back