All-Star Missing Worlds Practices Because Of College Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

AppStateCheerMom

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
So what is your programs' policy about missing Worlds practices to attend college cheerleading tryouts? There is a University that is holding their tryout beginning this Thursday and ending Sunday. What is an athlete to do when the college team they are trying out for is more than three hours away from where they live, and their Worlds team is practicing those same four days of tryouts?

... This is a really really tough one :(
Because Worlds is such a big deal, but it's not like college/college cheer is just something you can brush off either. And they're probably not too lenient about missing tryouts...
Aw man, I wish I could help but I don't want to give the wrong advice!

We have so many practices before Worlds that my coach is okay with people missing for college tryouts. She planned for it when making the schedule.

this is a tough one. I feel like college tryouts are slightly more important. Those tryouts can make or break the next four years of your life, while one practice may not do too much. My only advice is to make sure you arent missing anything really important before worlds like new choreography and also try to make the tryout trip as short as possible.

maybe they should look into the policy of tryouts and see if they accept video submissions? I know HPU does it (obviously because not everyone can afford to fly to hawaii for tryouts) but i'm quite sure there are other schools that do this as well.

Unfortunately, this particular school doesn't allow you to try out by video. Their tryouts are four days, and this athete's Worlds' team practices the same four days.

Definitely contact the coach at least. They may be a lot more understanding if you explain the situation. I mean it's not like you're missing tryouts to go on a senior class trip or something.. it's at least cheer related.

honestly, at this point in the game, routines should be getting nit-picked and perfected for worlds. it's not like major choreo's being done or stunts aren't hitting. definitely let the girl go as this determines how her next four years are spent

Back