High School Modestly Speaking Of Course. . .

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 24, 2010
This is my senior year and Im cheering for my high school. Where I live high school cheerleading is very competitive! We have a very strong team, that has so much potential. I am a captain and I have alot of ideas that could give us a extra competitive edge. My coaches arent as knowledgeable about cheering as I am. So I want to know how I can give ideas and suggestions without steeping on their toes?

fundraise to get lots of money and then suggest things like a choreographer for your competition routine and possibly taking tumbling classes at a local gym once a week!

Make it sound like you're just making a suggestion. Use phrases like:
I was thinking today about this really cool ______ for the squad
My friend told me about this _____ that was amazing
Last night on Youtube I saw this really cool _______ I want to try
I really like it but I think it could be even better if we_____
Wouldn't it be great if we could ______
Etc. Etc. Even if they're not true, they make you sound like you're driven, have goals, and great ideas without being pushy. Always discuss them out of earshot with the coaches so it doesn't seem like you're trying to use the team to over rule them. If you seem excited about it, chances are they will be too, and it won't come off as back seat coaching

Make it sound like you're just making a suggestion. Use phrases like:
I was thinking today about this really cool ______ for the squad
My friend told me about this _____ that was amazing
Last night on Youtube I saw this really cool _______ I want to try
I really like it but I think it could be even better if we_____
Wouldn't it be great if we could ______
Etc. Etc. Even if they're not true, they make you sound like you're driven, have goals, and great ideas without being pushy. Always discuss them out of earshot with the coaches so it doesn't seem like you're trying to use the team to over rule them. If you seem excited about it, chances are they will be too, and it won't come off as back seat coaching

This is work.

Why aren't your coaches as knowledgable as you are? Do they not have experience? Have they not cheered themselves?

I ask, because somehow your team is competitive and has excellent skills, as you state, and that probably did not happen by accident. If you believe you have the answer to unlocking the potential you mention, then I would put together a presentation of how you believe this potential could be unlocked, including how much it would cost, what would be required, and present it to your coaches as a suggestion. They will either take it or not.
No matter their decision on whether to utilize your ideas or not be supportive of them and don't go behind their backs indicating that you could be so much better if we would just.....

Stepping on toes only happens if you feel your ideas are better than everyone else's and you indicate they are incompetent in some manner. Ensure you understand their capability, what they have tried, and come up with fresh ideas that are feasible inside the school system.

I would approach them really maturely with your ideas- they picked you for Captain, they obviously want your input :) If they're not as knowledgable, more than likely they're going to be happy that you know more than they do- teach them the ropes! Believe me, Coaches need all the help they can get.

Back