All-Star "moving For Cheer" Thread Continued.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

YES. football team makes it to state championship? We hold an extra pep rally and celebrate like they actually won (they got their butts kicked). Cheer places 2nd at state and nothing.
I think part of it is a matter of us promoting ourselves. I think if your team makes it to a competition, and all of the parents make a huge deal out of it, people notice more often. However, I think geography affects it; teams in the South (and now NY/NJ) tend to receive recognition from people outside of their cheer community; principals and ADs because in those areas, cheer is just a bigger deal. When North Laurel (I always mention them but they are my absolute favorite MS/Medium Varsity program) won Nationals, they were driven through London, KY in a motorcade! When it reached the school, the girls would go into the gym wearing their jackets, where friends and family were waiting with signs and applause. I think principal actually would actually speak at the ceremony basically thanking them for bring (yet another) title home. They get lots of respect. Of course, there are some people in those areas who think that any sort of recognition given to the girls is a waste of money. Some people in Greenup think it's stupid that the cheerleaders get so much focus, but LBH what other program in that area has the legacy that cheer does? I don't see the football or basketball team having 14 state championships to their credit (if they do, somebody please correct me).

I think part of it is a matter of us promoting ourselves. I think if your team makes it to a competition, and all of the parents make a huge deal out of it, people notice more often. However, I think geography affects it; teams in the South (and now NY/NJ) tend to receive recognition from people outside of their cheer community; principals and ADs because in those areas, cheer is just a bigger deal. When North Laurel (I always mention them but they are my absolute favorite MS/Medium Varsity program) won Nationals, they were driven through London, KY in a motorcade! When it reached the school, the girls would go into the gym wearing their jackets, where friends and family were waiting with signs and applause. I think principal actually would actually speak at the ceremony basically thanking them for bring (yet another) title home. They get lots of respect. Of course, there are some people in those areas who think that any sort of recognition given to the girls is a waste of money. Some people in Greenup think it's stupid that the cheerleaders get so much focus, but LBH what other program in that area has the legacy that cheer does? I don't see the football or basketball team having 14 state championships to their credit (if they do, somebody please correct me).
My high school does this too. For cheer when my team won the regional championship we got a parade in our hometown with fire trucks with a huge crowd at the school waiting with cake and pizza. The athletic director would give a speech and congratulate us all. We did the same when we won states in field hockey.

In terms of the "why schools don't always value cheer" thing.

It's all about the money.

Schools will value the programs that bring in revenue (ticket sales, booster donations, alumni/ae contributions, etc.)

Hence why some schools are so quick to drop $ on stadiums that rival NFL programs.

Football brings in the money. Depending on where you live, it's wrestling, hockey, lacrosse, etc.

In terms of the "why schools don't always value cheer" thing.

It's all about the money.

Schools will value the programs that bring in revenue (ticket sales, booster donations, alumni/ae contributions, etc.)

Hence why some schools are so quick to drop $ on stadiums that rival NFL programs.

Football brings in the money. Depending on where you live, it's wrestling, hockey, lacrosse, etc.
True. These well respected cheer programs are the type that pay for everything themselves.

Alright, so it is becoming less likely that I will actually move to go to the gym id like to. but it's still possible for me to travel to cheer at a gym. my question is, how far is too far? I know there are some exceptional athletes, like Gabi butler, who are flying far distances to cheer. I mean two hours? four? five? how much is too much to travel. keep in mind the closest gym to me in 45 minutes away and only fields up to level two. if you need more information check my previous thread first. please reply! thanks! :)

Athletes move from state to state to cheer even countries. Some have traveled on weekends for hours to practice to be on teams. Its up to you and your family. Financial impact social impact, time commitment with friends, will you gain new skills... Is it worth it? Is it for one year or two?

Athletes move from state to state to cheer even countries. Some have traveled on weekends for hours to practice to be on teams. Its up to you and your family. Financial impact social impact, time commitment with friends, will you gain new skills... Is it worth it? Is it for one year or two?
it would just be one year because I'm going to be a senior

I'll say the same basic thing I said in your other thread: weigh up the pros and cons, and really consider them without bias. Cheer may seem like the most important thing right now, but think about the other things. You'll be stuck in a car for a 6-hour round trip multiple times a week; you'll have less time for homework (and don't think that doing homework in the car is easy – it is a pain in the a**); you'll have a greatly affected social life; you'll see your family less.

For me it still boils down to the fact that personally I would never make this big of a change during senior year.

Back