All-Star "moving For Cheer" Thread Continued.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To summarize, it's a compliment to big gym teams because I think they work so hard over many many years to get to a point where a very difficult and skill packed routine can look easy. People watch and say oh I have level 5 skills I can do that. It's not. what you do day to day, month to month and year to year isn't fun, glamorous or easy. It's literally blood, sweat and tears. And sprained ankles and aching back and knees and.....I could go on and on.
and broken collar bones..:D

I mean... I don't really want to get in this... But it's not like she made that up. We did just talk about it like 4 days ago. [emoji56]

But I didnt consider it a bribe, as much as a reward for pushing through something.
You are right but I was thinking from the perspective of coaches brining the kids and not is offering rewards.

**I am really much funnier in my own mind**

In all my 13/14 years of cheer I don't think I've won more than 10 comps. I cheered AS for 3 long seasons, sometimes I feel like I was in it longer than that. My gym was small when I got there, but had a team for levels 1-4. We collectively as a gym did not win everything. In my 3 years I think I won 6 comps. When I left to do HS, they started doing much better, got bought out by a bigger gym and now the walls are covered in banners...In HS, my team was not the best, and while we came close we never won, or went to regionals.

But through it all, I made my best friends through cheer, and I've learned to accept failure, it's the way of life. The world is bigger than, cheer, and it took me a long time to realize that. I am blessed to get to cheer on my dream team, a team I NEVER thought in a million years I could cheer at. And while this program is a winning team, I'm not here to get a ring, I'm here because of my education, and anything else is just a bonus..

I'm not that much older than the HS students on the boards, but I am a little old lady in my thinking. Cheerleading is not everything. You need to be cheering because it makes you happy, because you want to do it. If you love cheer you will continue to do it anywhere. Too often on the board are people obsessed with the ring, or title, or uniform. At the end of the day, graduating and going on to greener pastures is what matters.
:shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy:

Raising my milkshake to this comment.

:shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy:

Raising my milkshake to this comment.

Sorry, but I don't get this generation's obsession with winning, and big name teams. My AS experience was different, and I didn't really like my gym, I had chances for my cheer career to be very different, but that wasn't how it worked out. Had I known I'd end up on one of the biggest D1 cheer programs, I would've laughed. But here I am.

I cheer because I would be lost without it. I could be on the biggest joke of a college team and I would still love it..I know that being held back sucks but your senior year is so important, and happens so quickly. Cherish that moment, because you get many cheer years, but only 1 senior year.

Sorry, but I don't get this generation's obsession with winning, and big name teams. My AS experience was different, and I didn't really like my gym, I had chances for my cheer career to be very different, but that wasn't how it worked out. Had I known I'd end up on one of the biggest D1 cheer programs, I would've laughed. But here I am.

I cheer because I would be lost without it. I could be on the biggest joke of a college team and I would still love it..I know that being held back sucks but your senior year is so important, and happens so quickly. Cherish that moment, because you get many cheer years, but only 1 senior year.
But senior years aren't the same to everyone and if you're going to regret something what would you rather regret?

**Lurking for now but maybe I'll post someday soon**

I am in total accordance with you. Plus, I've heard of this happening in HS cheer as well. Team wins UCA, and all types of praise is showered upon them, lots of congratulations, etc. But if they win 2nd or below? Silence. It's sad.

But senior years aren't the same to everyone and if you're going to regret something what would you rather regret?

**Lurking for now but maybe I'll post someday soon**

Truth...I just think that moving your whole life for AS is crazy, especially when you're a senior and academics/friends get involved. If I had to do senior year or HS in general someone else, I would've been lost because my life long friends were there with me. But you're completely right, senior years are different for everyone. Just giving my perspective.

@TheCheerleadingQueen

Something no one has probably mentioned yet are college apps. It will be a huge and unnecessary hassle for you to get familiar with a new guidance counselor, adjust to a new school and new people, cheer on a team AND apply to college (unless you plan on taking a gap year). Following your dreams is worth it in many cases despite the risk, but in this case I feel it just might not be. Does the gym have an open 5 team? You could spend this year working on your skills while going to your current school, and then take a gap year to cheer. By 2016 tryouts, you might have the skills necessary for that gym's upper level teams if you don't already have it.

I am in total accordance with you. Plus, I've heard of this happening in HS cheer as well. Team wins UCA, and all types of praise is showered upon them, lots of congratulations, etc. But if they win 2nd or below? Silence. It's sad.
YES. football team makes it to state championship? We hold an extra pep rally and celebrate like they actually won (they got their butts kicked). Cheer places 2nd at state and nothing.

@TheCheerleadingQueen

Something no one has probably mentioned yet are college apps. It will be a huge and unnecessary hassle for you to get familiar with a new guidance counselor, adjust to a new school and new people, cheer on a team AND apply to college (unless you plan on taking a gap year). Following your dreams is worth it in many cases despite the risk, but in this case I feel it just might not be. Does the gym have an open 5 team? You could spend this year working on your skills while going to your current school, and then take a gap year to cheer. By 2016 tryouts, you might have the skills necessary for that gym's upper level teams if you don't already have it.
it's less likely that I will move schools and more likely that I will travel farther for a better gym.

Back