Moving On.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How do you know when its time to move on to a new gym? I'd like input on when its time, how you know its time and personal experiences on transitioning when you do decide to switch. How do you make the change when you've been loyal to a gym for years?

To be honest cxcheermom, I think the time to move to a new gym is when you find it necessary to ask that question... There is a reason why you are pondering whether it is time to search for a different gym. Maybe the gym you are at is not offering what you need and/or you possibly, just outgrew the gym... Similar to if your child was at a school, which its highest grade is 6 grade and she graduated and going to 7th grade - That school and/or gym no longer fit what he/she needs...
Serious note:
My advice to you is to sit down and make a list of all the Pro(s) and Con(s) of why you should stay or leave this gym and whatever column is the longest will be your answer to the question.:fro:

Thank you all for your replies. We decided to stay put for now since we did commit to this year and I always taught my kids that once committed you see it through no matter what. So we're checking out other gyms and will decide next spring. Their happy to stay for now so they'll continue to give 100% to this team for the season.

Thank you all for your replies. We decided to stay put for now since we did commit to this year and I always taught my kids that once committed you see it through no matter what. So we're checking out other gyms and will decide next spring. Their happy to stay for now so they'll continue to give 100% to this team for the season.

I wish you all the best. Tough decision.

Thank you. It really is difficult. We really feel we're wasting a year and will see little progression. But after many discussions we had to stick with the one rule we've had for every sport. You commit to the team you stick with it. We've never allowed them to quit no matter how much begging and felt this was no different.

Thank you. It really is difficult. We really feel we're wasting a year and will see little progression. But after many discussions we had to stick with the one rule we've had for every sport. You commit to the team you stick with it. We've never allowed them to quit no matter how much begging and felt this was no different.
Why though? It's August, not January. Why throw away a year of potential progression and emotional well being? Several years ago we almost switched gyms in September but decided to stay because at that point cp wanted to be with friends and was concerned about taking a spot from someone at the gym we were looking at (and did switch to the following season). We still regret wasting that season. Money, time, emotion. Sticking with something because you made the commitment is admirable, and I respect where you are coming from, but at this point for me in cheer, my commitment is first and foremost to my cp.

I totally agree with CheerBank, if you already see that a year will be wasted,,,why put yourself through that when it is perfectly okay to change gym in August or September... My daughter's team just had 2 girls who joined today...(Choreo started today) and I am pretty sure these girls are leaving another gym, so it is okay to try something else... I believe as long as competition season had not started, your commitment to that gym have not started and no one will be harm if you leave at this point. However, if you are making your decision to stay because you are undecided and need more time to find another gym... Yes, by all means stay and use the year to research other gyms in your area, but if you have an idea where you want to go, I say go!

Thats why it was so hard of a decision. They've had their choreo done since June. Everything would have to be reworked. If they weren't so far along I'd feel differently. We're looking at options outside the gym to further their progression this year. But I totally understand what your saying.

I get being loyal but honestly, it's not your problem or fault they did choreo so early. The season has 9 months left. Can you go on like this for 9 months? Watch your child stagnate, pay them very good (and most likely a lot of) money for 9 months?!

It's so early. At some point loyalty has to be to your family and your athlete. Coaches rework routines backstage. They will live.

That being said, if you want to stay for loyalty more than quality, you have to commit to that and not let it eat at you. Focus on what good you can find and ignore the rest. Otherwise it'll eat at you and your cp will certainly feel it before too long.

cxcheermom, I have a question to ask you... Since you are so concerned with the team and choreo., if the team choreograph an athlete in a feature tumbling pass and that athlete is now suffering mental blocks that prevents them being able to complete the tumbling sequence, do you think out of loyalty the coaches keep that athlete in that spot or move them and replace them with an athlete who can assure them a better shot of winning? Think about the answer to this question...

PS: Most teams from what I heard will changed their routine 1000~ times (exaggerated number) before competition season and so choreography practices is not the finality of the routine, but a starting point...

About 3 months into a season my daughter wanted to quit cheer entirely to fully focus on another sport. I insisted she finish the season since she had committed to the team. Granted there was nothing wrong at the gym, she was just done with the sport. There were times however that she wasn't very happy especially when it meant missing activities with the other sport.

Looking back I'd do it the same way. Today she takes commitment to whatever she does very seriously and will not agree to participate in something unless she's absolutely sure.

That being said, this was our experience but I know everyone's situation is different. Most of the time I feel that if your child isn't being physically or mentally harmed then the commitment trumps a few months however each family has to do what is best for them. You are the only one that knows that decision for your family. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Have you warned your current gym that you're considering moving? I always appreciate it if someone lets me know they're contemplating a move and why. And if they're letting me know this far in advance that gives me even longer to try and improve the areas that they feel we are lacking.
I think if you let them know now, then 1, they have the opportunity to improve--giving you a better quality year. 2, nothing will improve if you don't talk to the people that can improve it. And 3, if they don't make those improvements then they can't say one cross word about it because you gave them plenty of advance warning that it was coming.

We were in your situation a few years ago, so I understand. My cp was with a gym for 4 years, was very well liked there, had a ton of friends, and at that time a flyer. She was going into her freshman year of HS (she is now a sophomore in college). We left that year in September, to go to another gym. She was the one that made the decision, and it was very tough.

She felt the new gym, and team would be more competitive (and it was, by far), also experience NCA and different comps the old gym did not attend. She would also be able to gain/work on new skills in a better environment. Going to the new gym, the spot on the team was for a base, so she gladly took that spot and learned to base. She eventually grew to 5'6" and bases or backspots now. There was some backlash from the old gym when she left - the same stuff everyone says when someone leaves one gym to go to another. Now that is all water under the bridge and a lot of the girls from that gym ended up coming over as they saw the opportunities they could have that the other gym eventually could not provide.

Looking back, we would not have changed our decision. If she had stayed at the old gym that year instead of leaving, I think she would have become very frustrated and not progressed or enjoyed it - not to mention the financial aspect of paying for things like cheersport and worlds knowing we did not belong in the division we were in. She was with the gym for her 4 years of HS, and felt like the decision was worth it.
Of course it is a family/individual decision and numerous factors are involved. I was sharing our experience, and wish you luck.

Have you warned your current gym that you're considering moving? I always appreciate it if someone lets me know they're contemplating a move and why. And if they're letting me know this far in advance that gives me even longer to try and improve the areas that they feel we are lacking.
I think if you let them know now, then 1, they have the opportunity to improve--giving you a better quality year. 2, nothing will improve if you don't talk to the people that can improve it. And 3, if they don't make those improvements then they can't say one cross word about it because you gave them plenty of advance warning that it was coming.
For our situation we did talk to the owner/coach prior (it's a long story lol) but he was well aware of how we felt that the team would not be competitive again in that same division and he did it again anyway. I know it is not our decision on how teams are formed - but you should have the minimum skill to be a certain level large team, and we were not, should have been small, still would have been killed, but it would not have hurt so much lol. My daughter did not want to go thru another season again like the one before.

About 3 months into a season my daughter wanted to quit cheer entirely to fully focus on another sport. I insisted she finish the season since she had committed to the team. Granted there was nothing wrong at the gym, she was just done with the sport. There were times however that she wasn't very happy especially when it meant missing activities with the other sport.

Looking back I'd do it the same way. Today she takes commitment to whatever she does very seriously and will not agree to participate in something unless she's absolutely sure.

That being said, this was our experience but I know everyone's situation is different. Most of the time I feel that if your child isn't being physically or mentally harmed then the commitment trumps a few months however each family has to do what is best for them. You are the only one that knows that decision for your family. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
To me, there is a big difference between leaving a sport because you do not wish to be a part of the sport anymore, and feeling that your current gym is not meeting your child's or your family's needs. It is comparing apples and oranges.

In the situation you described, I agree with you 100%. My oldest daughter played soccer for one year. It was not the sport for her, and watching her on the field was at times painful because she was paying more attention to the clouds passing by, but we insisted she finish out the season which she did. Baseball for my son? Like watching paint dry during his last season of little league. But he finished.

Great advice! In a perfect world, parents should be able to discuss their concerns with their coaches and owners and hope to see improvements from there (or lack of, therefore confirming your feelings about it being time to move on). From a parent's persepctive, it is sometimes hard to communicate these things to a gym in fear of repercussions for your child if you do wind up staying.

Latest posts

Back