OT Moving To The Us!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 9, 2011
So ever since I was about 12 I've decided that in the future I want to live in the States. Now it will be about 5 years until I complete university and will feel ready to move but I feel like the earlier I look in to it the better because it can take a long time to apply for a visa and a green card. When I go to university next year I'm going to be studying a degree in Child Nursing and after completion of that will be a registered Pediatric Nurse. My family keep telling me how difficult it will be and how it isn't worth it but I'm determined to prove them wrong and make it happen. Anybody have an info/advice for me please? :)

If you are a registered nurse in the UK will you have to be re-registered as a nurse in the US? I'm not sure how that works but maybe something to look into, codycheerbabex

I would recommend seeing if your university offers a study abroad program. This will allow you to come over here on a student visa and you can see if this is where you really want to be. Working with the University you will also have help with housing, make friends right away, and feel less out of place.

I know Florida State University has a really good nursing program and has a Study abroad program, so if you chose to study at one of their sister schools you could probably see about coming over here for a year! I definitely second what Coach Kelli said though.

I have a change to study abroad (we can study in any Eurpean country for a year) but we have changes to study in US. ( I think there's a university in Pittsburg.)
And I am sure I am going to study abroad for a year. Not sure where yet...but I will.

I have a change to study abroad (we can study in any Eurpean country for a year) but we have changes to study in US. ( I think there's a university in Pittsburg.)
And I am sure I am going to study abroad for a year. Not sure where yet...but I will.

Come to Pittsburgh! It's wonderful :)

Come to Pittsburgh! It's wonderful :)
I second that! I'm from Chicago but have done business in Pitt for quite some time, fantastic college city and super cheap airfare to both New York and Chi. If you can get a Chicago school let me know, I used to chair the inter-collegiate Student Government for the city, I can get you in touch with the people that can help you choose a program.

Mixed things a little bit. We can study abroad on a Drury University in Springfield, MO. Anyone heard about university? It looks really nice.

So I've found out all the universities I'll be applying to will enable me to study a year in the US. I'm going to a few uni open days next year so I'll be able to find out a little more about what states I can study in then.. I am praying that atleast one of the places is close to a gym with an open team. Cheering in the states would be a dream come true.

I'm a pediatric nurse in the US. Before you move you will have to submit your coursework and certifications for review, I think they call it the CAS evaluation. In the US certain clinicals (like mental health) are required for graduation, if the program you are in doesn't offer it then you may have to complete extra coursework in the states before you can apply for the NCLEX (nursing certification exam).
What I would suggest is doing your core curriculum over there and when you get ready to enter a professional nursing program (usually the last two years of college over here) apply to be an International student and complete your nursing degree in the US. That way you know you have the clinicals you need and the process won't be so headache producing.

I'm a pediatric nurse in the US. Before you move you will have to submit your coursework and certifications for review, I think they call it the CAS evaluation. In the US certain clinicals (like mental health) are required for graduation, if the program you are in doesn't offer it then you may have to complete extra coursework in the states before you can apply for the NCLEX (nursing certification exam).
What I would suggest is doing your core curriculum over there and when you get ready to enter a professional nursing program (usually the last two years of college over here) apply to be an International student and complete your nursing degree in the US. That way you know you have the clinicals you need and the process won't be so headache producing.
Thankyou for the information; I'll definitely look into that!

So I've found out all the universities I'll be applying to will enable me to study a year in the US. I'm going to a few uni open days next year so I'll be able to find out a little more about what states I can study in then.. I am praying that atleast one of the places is close to a gym with an open team. Cheering in the states would be a dream come true.

Which schools? I'm sure we can all fill you in on gyms near by :)

Back