High School My Jumps Aren't Graceful!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 17, 2012
Hey you guys! So I've been working on my jumps lately because tryouts for football cheerleading are around March-April and I really want to make the Varsity team. My right leg is a lot more flexible than my left, so my toe touch looks sloppy, and my landing looks even worse. I think I can get them higher by the time tryouts roll around, I just can't seem to clean them up by the time I hit the ground. This also goes for my hurkie, hurdler, pike, etc. So If you have any advice it would REALLY be appreciated! :)

Leg lifts! I swear by them...do them every day, and jump every day. Also, stretch both legs evenly, and jump jump jump and they'll get easier!! The more ab, leg, and hip strength you have, the more graceful they will get! Good luck!

-Condition your abs, hip flexors, and legs. Sit in a straddle, put on hand in the middle and one in back of one of your legs, and lift your leg. Do the same with the other side.

-Really stretch your left leg. Push yourself, but not too far as you can get injured. Try to get your left split and hold it for 1-2 minutes.

-I can't stress this point too strongly. Do not, DO NOT double prep (Jump/bounce before your jumps).

-A lot of girls on my All Star team clearly don't understand how to connect jumps. Make tiny circles before you go to the next jump, just in case you have to connect.

- In terms of toe touches and pikes, these are the number one technical issues I always see and they drive me nuts. Do not drop your chest, get your butt under you when you jump, and watch out for frog legs.

My jumps used to be not very good, but then I ordered "power bands" and they helped my jumps to improve drastically. The website to order them is myosource.com/cheerleading do your jumps multiple times everyday with the bands on, and them multiple times with them off. By the time football season roles around your jumps should be near perfect. Good Luck!

Back