My Team Won't Listen...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 6, 2013
I'm Co-Captain of the JV team at my high school, and as of now the Captain is benched for grades so I have to take over. Everyone knows me on JV and we are all friends but when it comes time for practice and I'm trying to be serious, half of the freshman on the JV(Freshman and Sophmore) team take me seriously while everyone else continues to talk and play around. What can I do to make them be quiet and be more attentive? This was a really big issue at first but after I started drilling them on jumps and motions it's gotten better, but they still continue to talk after jumps, or discuss with each other after a cheer, instead of setting or being in cheer position.

Why isn't your coach stepping in to help? The coaches have a hard enough time getting the girls to pay attention and listen.

What did the benched captain do to make them listen?

Why isn't your coach stepping in to help? The coaches have a hard enough time getting the girls to pay attention and listen.

What did the benched captain do to make them listen?
My coach spends most of her time working on Varisty's Comp. stuff.

The biggest thing is to stay respectful to everyone. The coach should be overseeing this more. But for you, stay respectful and encouraging. Think of the kind of leader you would listen to and respect, and do that. It's always hard to get the respect right away, but if you are respectful to them and show that you deserve to be a leader and know what you are doing, you will get them to listen to you more. Good luck!

Completely agree with little coach. The best leaders, lead by example. If you want that respect, you must give them something and someone to look up to.

im captain for my jv team too and i find it hard to get girls to listen also. i figured out that if you stop helping them and just leading the girls who want to listen, eventually those girls will start joining in. treat them as you would if you were coaching younger girls. they will listen when they realize they need you.

The worst thing you can do in this situation is demean your teammates. Treat them as equals, not as athletes that you coach. Remember, you are the captain not the coach. Everything should be "we" and "us" not "you." Don't take yourself out of the picture as a cheerleader on the team.

No real advice to add, but I wanted to say that if you figure out the secret to getting the girls to stop talking and listen, there are a lot of coaches on this board who would love to know it! ;-) Seriously, though, don't be discouraged. You got a lot of good advice.

Just confront them about it. Or tell the coach that they aren't listening and that they are plAying around

Some coaches in my past were young coaches who didn't have respect from most of the team and was more of a friend which is okay especially for you because you are there friend but when it come so practice don't ask them to do something tell the, too and make punishments for not listening. ( too much talking? Have the whole team do 20 burbees or something this will make the others on the team want to tell them to stop too)

Back