All-Star Mystery Basket Toss

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
I’m wondering about a type of basket toss I saw YEARS ago. I can’t remember where I saw it...I want to say the True Life episode that featured Dunbar from like 2002? It’s complicated and I’ll try my best to describe it.

The toss starts in profile with the crowd, let’s say, to the flyer’s left. She kicks/double twists leading with her right leg.

But, right after the first twist and before going into the second twist, she pops to a spread eagle toward the crowd (her body position means shes tilted at a 45 degree angle when this happens). She then pulls herself back in to resume her second twist and cradles.

I can’t find a video example of this because I don’t even know what to call it. It’s like a kick/double twist with a spread eagle variation, I guess. I figured I’d ask you all-star folks because this type of basket hasn’t been legal in high school for years.

Thanks so much.

@1:40 Close?

Not exactly, but close enough! Thanks. Any idea what it’s called? Is there a name or is it that sort of thing where you just make up a term for it and nobody knows what the hell you’re talking about except the team? Ex: “flippy-turny-stupid thing” (real term for real stunt circa 2007).

Not exactly, but close enough! Thanks. Any idea what it’s called? Is there a name or is it that sort of thing where you just make up a term for it and nobody knows what the hell you’re talking about except the team? Ex: “flippy-turny-stupid thing” (real term for real stunt circa 2007).

Ball-X double maybe?

Since what Carly did in 2014 was a kick kick full kick full, I'd guess you could call it a kick full x full?

I wonder if you are remembering the skill correctly. If you are talking about the 2001-2004 era, the kick double was still new and most club teams where still figuring it out... I don't remember Dunbar (or any high school) ever doing a 4 skill basket. I always recall teams from the late 90s/ early 2000s doing harder skills then what was performed. <3

I wonder if you are remembering the skill correctly. If you are talking about the 2001-2004 era, the kick double was still new and most club teams where still figuring it out... I don't remember Dunbar (or any high school) ever doing a 4 skill basket. I always recall teams from the late 90s/ early 2000s doing harder skills then what was performed. <3

Yeah, I don’t think it was Dunbar that did it now that I’ve refreshed my memory. I just know it was in the 2002-2007-ish era, when my cheer career was a bit more consistent and I was super into Dunbar’s stints on TV during that time (True Life and Cheerleader Nation). I just attributed it to them because I remember trying to introduce some of their stuff to the team I coached at the time and wanting to implement that toss. And I probably wouldn’t have seen it via an all-star team because I wasn’t following those as much then since it wasn’t the thing to do in my area.

It’s not hugely important. I just always recalled the toss favourably but could never ever find a definition or name for it in any cheer glossary. I probably saw it in passing at college Nationals and then assumed it was a high school-level skill my girls could do since multiple basket tricks were allowed at the time. Of course this was when I was relatively new to coaching and still under the impression you could just cut and paste advanced-level stunts into your HS routine without any consideration of your team’s current skill level or athleticism.

TL;DR: I’m old.

Last edited:
Back