All-Star National Champs Against No One...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well I think we can all figure out the gym since she said it was at Super Nationals and there is only one "Non Worlds" category...and it looks like this team was right to not enter that division, since they apparently would have gotten 18th out of 19 teams, by the scores.

***Disclaimer: I have NO knowledge of this specific team or incident other than looking at the results sheet to be nosy. So I don't know if this next thing I'm saying applies to this situation or not. But I do know it applies at least somewhere because I've seen it.

But anyway... I think (and I could be wrong) that icecheermom 's biggest complaint is not the celebrating of a victory. It's the entering late, choosing a division with no one else in it, and then outright bragging about being a National Champ - when you purposely set it up that way. Now if you compete and no one else enters your division and you paid MONTHS earlier, there's just nothing you can do about that. As long as it's a competition where you have to beat a score to get a title, then I think it's fair.

I think the blame lies more with the the fact that there just are toooooooo many divisions. (although in this case I'm just confused why a "Non worlds" division was even offered. At 18th out of 19 teams they were obviously non worlds, without a division being created...:rolleyes:)

***I will admit I don't love when people go all over Facebook and Twitter posting "National Champs Baby! FIRST PLACE!!!!!!" when I'm sitting there thinking "Um... first out of one?" But I'll also admit I'm guilty of it - it's embarrassing to say that you were the only ones competing - so why would you? Facebook is for me to make myself and my children look like we are amazing people with amazing lives. Isn't it???:oops:

Well I think we can all figure out the gym since she said it was at Super Nationals and there is only one "Non Worlds" category...and it looks like this team was right to not enter that division, since they apparently would have gotten 18th out of 19 teams, by the scores.

***Disclaimer: I have NO knowledge of this specific team or incident other than looking at the results sheet to be nosy. So I don't know if this next thing I'm saying applies to this situation or not. But I do know it applies at least somewhere because I've seen it.

But anyway... I think (and I could be wrong) that icecheermom 's biggest complaint is not the celebrating of a victory. It's the entering late, choosing a division with no one else in it, and then outright bragging about being a National Champ - when you purposely set it up that way. Now if you compete and no one else enters your division and you paid MONTHS earlier, there's just nothing you can do about that. As long as it's a competition where you have to beat a score to get a title, then I think it's fair.

I think the blame lies more with the the fact that there just are toooooooo many divisions. (although in this case I'm just confused why a "Non worlds" division was even offered. At 18th out of 19 teams they were obviously non worlds, without a division being created...:rolleyes:)

***I will admit I don't love when people go all over Facebook and Twitter posting "National Champs Baby! FIRST PLACE!!!!!!" when I'm sitting there thinking "Um... first out of one?" But I'll also admit I'm guilty of it - it's embarrassing to say that you were the only ones competing - so why would you? Facebook is for me to make myself and my children look like we are amazing people with amazing lives. Isn't it???:oops:
Its one thing if you're from complete different sides of the country and people may not pay attention. When we're both from the same small town someone is bound to call you out on it. The owners of the gym are great people and I do wish them luck this season, but this coach is SHADY! Always has been, the parents will wise up one day, I did :)

I say the parents should leave it alone. It sounds like the kids are all in school together and need to get along. I agree...it's a meaningless title that they won, but I was thinking of that other thread where some poor girl was trying to work out things at school after she made an impolite comment and then it got taken to Facebook. Having good relations at school is more important, and quite honestly some of those kids may be at your gym next year from the sound of things.:D You know your kid's team did awesome, so that is what is important so that you can hold your head high. If it is the coach that is spreading the news like they are the hottest thing since sliced bread, it's just making him/her and that program look stupid.

Being Large Junior 2 we have had the situation of having no one in our division. The coaches have made it clear to the kids that while 1st place is great, if there is no one in their division they are expected to go for Level 2 Grand Champion. I get slightly annoyed by people bragging about getting National Champion to no one but if you signed up months before, it's not the kid's fault and they should be able to celebrate if they do well, especially if they blow the judges away and score high.

i am on one of 3 ag5 teams in scotland. this is our first year in the division but needed to push ourself from level 4. We have accepted that the other 2 teams dont compete in the same comps as us and so we will have noone in our division until we travel south to compete against the english and welsh teams.

i hate it! it feels more like a dress rehearsal than a competition because theres no competitiveness theres no desire to win! we thought about dropping back to level 4 for the scottish comps but decided we have worked to hard on our new skills to not put them on the floor! i can assure you we wont be bragging about winning.

it drives me insane there are soo few male cheerleaders in the uk and there are teams who enter coed with one boy who isnt in a stunt group or doesnt tumble but is merely there so they can compete in a division by themself then brag alll over about being national champ!

Eh, even if someone brags about getting "first," "national champs," etc. it's on them really. They know the truth and the fact that they brag about it makes me feel bad for them a little But doesn't bother me at all.

(an I am talking a generic "them")

I've got a few thoughts after reading this thread.

- I think people shouldn't brag. It's rude. There's a difference between saying "I'm so proud of my team" and "We're so awesome, better than everyone else"
- I think the term National Champs is entirely overused and meaningless now. It's too bad someone outside of cheer can't tell the difference between a National Champion T-shirt from a small competition with only 100 teams and a CHEERSPORT Jacket. But I point my dissapointment at the system that allows this, not a team that competes legally in whatever level they want.
- I think this is the best quote:
On the GENERAL topic raised by this thread: I really appreciated all the comments explaining why some teams would go to comps knowing there wasn't going to be competition on their level (besides the obvious that most teams have already paid long before they know who else is going). It brought up a lot of points I had never considered. Good lesson to not jump to conclusions about motivations.

There are lots of different situations out there. I choose to focus on how my team performed and how they placed NOT judge any other team for what their choices were. There is a big difference between saying "I don't agree with having my team jump divisions to have no competition" (directed at me/us) and "That team is stupid for jumping divisions" (directed at someone else)

I'm not quoting anyone or calling anyone out, just reminding people to be careful about voicing your opinion rather than judging other teams/coaches/kids.

I've got a few thoughts after reading this thread.

- I think people shouldn't brag. It's rude. There's a difference between saying "I'm so proud of my team" and "We're so awesome, better than everyone else"
- I think the term National Champs is entirely overused and meaningless now. It's too bad someone outside of cheer can't tell the difference between a National Champion T-shirt from a small competition with only 100 teams and a CHEERSPORT Jacket. But I point my dissapointment at the system that allows this, not a team that competes legally in whatever level they want.
- I think this is the best quote:

There are lots of different situations out there. I choose to focus on how my team performed and how they placed NOT judge any other team for what their choices were. There is a big difference between saying "I don't agree with having my team jump divisions to have no competition" (directed at me/us) and "That team is stupid for jumping divisions" (directed at someone else)

I'm not quoting anyone or calling anyone out, just reminding people to be careful about voicing your opinion rather than judging other teams/coaches/kids.
def get what you're saying and I do agree. Good point!

well, i believe every performance matters. Every team should compete their best no matter what the situation

Back