High School Nationals And Qualifying

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 7, 2010
How difficult is it to qualify for Nationals? Meaning... in your experience, how many do they take from regional qualifiers? Also, how do we find qualifying competitions. We found 2, but have to give one of them up to meet the needs of the local allstar team with whom we share athletes. They are being as flexible as possible, but we need to be flexible too.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Ellen

Which nationals are you talking about?

All four years in high school we went to UCA nationals. I don't know how many teams they gave a bid to at our qualifier but I am almost 100% sure than you had to reach or be above certain percent/score to get the bid.

How difficult is it to qualify for Nationals? Meaning... in your experience, how many do they take from regional qualifiers? Also, how do we find qualifying competitions. We found 2, but have to give one of them up to meet the needs of the local allstar team with whom we share athletes. They are being as flexible as possible, but we need to be flexible too.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Ellen

If this is in regards to qualifying for UCA Nationals, when they post their competitions they offer for the year, it will denote which competitions are qualifying events. Like mentioned about pretty sure you need to reach a average score which I think is a 70%? I do believe they will allow teams to qualify that just missed the 70 and show the potential.

Which nationals would be the most important question.

They are all fairly easy to get a bid to.

UCA - qualifiers are listed online and have a q next to them. If you're having trouble finding them or signing up your state rep can help. I've been told it's a 70% and above to qualify and that it gets harder later in the season. From our experience every competition and the amount of bids varies. We go to some of the largest regionals every year. We've had times when our entire division will get bids and we've had times where only a few teams do. It just depends on how talented the teams your against are. There isn't a set amount they have at every competition.

NCA - I don't know too much, but you can qualify at summer camp. They have a check list of what you have to do (be on time every day, use a new stunt you learned, compete in the performance group at camp) and basically if you do so many of the things on the list you get a bid. We've never done NCA locals or nationals so I can't comment on the rest of the process.

USA - sorry I'm no help, but I think they are typically similar to UCA? I don't live on that side of the country!

Pretty much any other national requires no qualification!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

If you're referring to UCA nationals getting a bid in the Northeast is a little tougher than in other parts of the country. Usually its a score of 70 unless judges are scoring consistently low.

Thank you for your replies. We're frustrated because we can only go to one qualifier unless the local allstar team is able to work with our schedule. The one we can attend is 11/22 in PA. We hope to also go to a December qualifier.

Yes we're talking about UCA. Thank you so much.

I'm not sure what it takes to get a 70%. I really only understand allstar scoring. (FYI - I'm a mom who helps out - not a coach).

Thank you for your replies. We're frustrated because we can only go to one qualifier unless the local allstar team is able to work with our schedule. The one we can attend is 11/22 in PA. We hope to also go to a December qualifier.

I'm not sure what it takes to get a 70%. I really only understand allstar scoring. (FYI - I'm a mom who helps out - not a coach).

The cheer section is worth 35 points (so half), and a lot of times over look that section because they think it will be easy points. My team did that one year and we almost didn't qualify. If your cheer section is done correctly, then yes it can be easy points, but it is just as easy to lose points. Use stunts that will HIT and can be used to make it crowd effective (use of levels always looks good, putting the stunt up on the word like if cheer is red and white, one group goes up on red and white), simple stunts and motions, you don't want the crowd to be too focused on your movements because you want them to yell along with you. Make sure to use signs, poms and megs.

In all sections, being clean is key, especially for UCA. A clean easier stunt is going to score better than elite stunts that are sloppy and all over the place.

ETA: OPPS! I read your post as your a parent who is coaching, sorry! This was probably more than you wanted to know!

Where did you guys find the regional schedule for this year?

I think the coach talked to someone from uca. I saw varsity has some dates listed. Thanks for the advice!

The dates for this year have not been posted, however, i would say two-thirds of teams get a bid in the northeast. ESPECIALLY in the Small, Medium, and large varsity all girl divisions. 1st place does not guarantee a bid. As long as the routine has potential, is clean, the cheer is solid you should be able to bid.

The dates for this year have not been posted, however, i would say two-thirds of teams get a bid in the northeast. ESPECIALLY in the Small, Medium, and large varsity all girl divisions. 1st place does not guarantee a bid. As long as the routine has potential, is clean, the cheer is solid you should be able to bid.
Thank you. I looked at the Varsity list - looks like there's only one in the northeast which couldn't be true. Do most teams go to two different events to get a bid? We are considering two to be safe.

We have 20 on the team which makes us large in UCA yet it puts us as medium for States (in PA) which is a little odd, but I guess so what, right?

Thank you. I looked at the Varsity list - looks like there's only one in the northeast which couldn't be true. Do most teams go to two different events to get a bid? We are considering two to be safe.

We have 20 on the team which makes us large in UCA yet it puts us as medium for States (in PA) which is a little odd, but I guess so what, right?
Most teams in our area go to more than one. We attend 3 - 4 bid qualifiers every year. We have always gotten our bid at the first, but we continue to go just for practice. Division changes shouldn't make a difference. If you're state is a bid competition then you can earn a bid in two divisions. We purposely got 2 different division bids last year just so we could choose how many we wanted to end up on the floor at nationals.

Back