High School Nationals Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 2, 2014
Between taking two teams to Nationals this year, we have quite a few props between poms, signs, megaphones, flags, etc.

Pros and Cons....stories...good and bad....of shipping UPS/FedEx/USPS vs begging the airline to let us take them on? haha...

Thanks!

I wouldn't ship. We carried our signs on in a special sign bag. I believe the were kept up front by the flight attendants if they were too large to fit in the over head compartments. I think poms were just in a bag that was carried on by a coach.

My first year at nationals we (our coaches) accidentally left our signs on the Disney bus and we thought we'd have to make some for the competition or just not use them. Luckily the parents called the Disney bus company and got them back for us. It was really cute. We came back from a park or something and they were all outside doing our cheer with our recently found signs [emoji23]

Anyways, I'd call your airline and check with them. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you figure out a way to get them on to the plane if you explain your situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't ship! Where are you coming from? We always have parents that drive, so I usually send them down in a car with a parent. Last year I put them all in a huge suitcase and checked them with us. I was a little nervous, but we had a direct flight. It worked out great.

For your megs, use athletic tape to keep the stack together. Then get a couple big trashbags and some duct tape and do a couple good layers. This can be checked, gate checked, or carried on.

For signs, use a sign bag and carry it on. Or flatten some cardboard boxes and get that duct tape back out to make a package for the signs. Then check, gate check, or carry it on.

I would not ship. We got big portfolio bags from Michaels/AC Moore. Our signs signs are huge and heavy and they fit perfectly!

I agree with @Twinklestars. Gate check is free. Some airlines, if your flight is direct, sends the items to baggage claim. Call the airline to see what can be done I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help out a customer :)

Back