All-Star Nbc Nightly News Cheer Story

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 9, 2011
I'm watching NBC Nightly News right now and it looks like they are going to do a quick story on cheerleaders and new measures being made to help recognize the athleticism it takes to be one.

It looks like the American Academy of Pediatrics have recommended that cheerleading be classified as a sport, making sure coaches are qualified, and that cheerleaders receive new medical benefits. They said around 29,000 or 39,000 (I can't remember which one they said) cheerleaders were sent to the ER in 2011. They also said around 66% of teenage female injuries have resulted from cheerleading.
One of the regulations the AAP wants to add is practice time and season regulations. I can see how this may become a problem though since cheer is a year round sport.

Just thought I'd put out some if the information they said, I'm not sure if many got to see this since it was only about 3 minutes.

I missed it! :( What else did they say??
That was the gist of it, a lot of statistics that I didn't write down and have now forgotten. They didn't say anything about how the American Academy of Pediatrics would go about getting cheer recognized as a sport but I think it helps cheerleading look better now that there is a medical related organization that supports cheerleaders.

They also interviewed a woman who had broken her neck several years ago trying out for high school team. She said she was glad cheer was getting more recognition for the sake of safety.

If they regulate school, that means they would have to have "real coaches" instead of "sponsors" which means they would have to pay someone more than most school systems would like to...
Should be interesting. ;)

If they regulate school, that means they would have to have "real coaches" instead of "sponsors" which means they would have to pay someone more than most school systems would like to...

Which mean, with education budget cuts the way they are.....cheer gets cut. Because if it's a matter of buying new Math textbooks or paying the cheer coaches and the insurance that goes with cheer, new Math books for everyone!

Not necessarily. I know quite a few football and basketball coaches that are either volunteer or get paid VERY little at some smaller high schools in Ohio and Indiana.

MissBee If school cheer becomes a sport, it can fill a Title IX requirement. They may not be so quick to get rid of it.

MissBee If school cheer becomes a sport, it can fill a Title IX requirement. They may not be so quick to get rid of it.

Title IX only applies to college though, right? I assumed this applied mostly to high schools.

Cheer is already a "sport" in Massachusetts in high school. I got a Varsity letter for it, though that doesn't mean we're actually taken seriously or anything.

Back