Nca And Uca.. What Are The Big Differences?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 13, 2012
Everyone knows about the whole "U of L / UK rivalry" but they never really actually complete against each other because U of L is with NCA and UK is with UCA. What are the big differences between NCA and UCA?

NCA and UCA have different styles of routine. YouTube both competing this year and you'll see the difference in pace of routine and elements in routines.

There are many differences such as UCA being more traditional with an emphasis on crowd leading (except for all-star teams) while NCA tends to be more like all-star cheerleading with all music routines.

Another often-overlooked aspect is squad structure. At the UCA College Nationals, large coed squads are limited to 16 cheerleaders (usually 9 men and 7 women) who are both forced to tumble and stunt. NCA on the other hand, squads are limited to 20 cheerleaders (usually 11 men and 9 women). Unlike the UCA, NCA squads for example has big guys who can stunt but can't do a standing back tuck as well as smaller guys who can tumble like crazy but can't do a toss extension.

And last but not least, if you notice that NCA squads has spotters who tend to get more involved in the stunt whereas UCA squads, the base can hold the flyer by himself while the spotter just simply watches.

Hope this helps.

I live in South Carolina and thee are not very many NCA camps in this area. Most of our teams attend UCA for that reason.

Everyone knows about the whole "U of L / UK rivalry" but they never really actually complete against each other because U of L is with NCA and UK is with UCA. What are the big differences between NCA and UCA?
Biggest difference is in the the judges.... UCA only hires people who have worked on staff with them.

UCA looks more on stunting and being all-around cheerleading and NCA likes to see more flashy choreography and harder tumbling skills.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That's not true.
Actually it is Andre, I spoke with numerous judges and UCA staff members and if you want to judge any UCA AS, UCA High, UCA College and UCA Dance Nationals... They only allow individuals who have either staffed or worked with Varsity in some capacity to judge. What this means is that the bias of the judges is dictated by the organization not by the judges remarks.

Actually it is Andre, I spoke with numerous judges and UCA staff members and if you want to judge any UCA AS, UCA High, UCA College and UCA Dance Nationals... They only allow individuals who have either staffed or worked with Varsity in some capacity to judge. What this means is that the bias of the judges is dictated by the organization not by the judges remarks.

Hmm. Andre...respected poster. Cheer Judge 2014...anonymous poster with axe to grind.

I've judged UCA College, UCA HS, and UCA AS, all with people that didn't work UCA staff. Donnie Richards, Denise Baker, and Kevin Ridgeway are head judges I've had at UCA Nationals that didn't work UCA staff or have jobs with Varsity outside of judging.

As far as camps go....UCA/NCA All-American's are way different. UCA allows sign-ups of all seniors or 6 girls. NCA nominates who may try out. NCA has Jumps/tumble pass/ cheer. UCA has jump/cheer/camp dance. Other than that....very simular.

Back