High School Nca Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 3, 2011
I am considering taking my high school team to Dallas for NCA 2013. It's a big trip for us (we're from PA), but there is a lack of great competitions for high schools in our area. From others who've been- is it worth it? Did you have a good experience? Any feedback is appreciated!

We're about an hour outside Philly, but our style is completely NCA. I know there are a lot of great UCA style schools in the PA-NJ area, and great comps that have UCA judges, but that isn't our style, really. We do comps with mainly NCA or JAM score sheets, which fit us well.

South Jersey has a lot, like Washington Township High School, Timber Creek, etc. You can see where they compete as warm-ups for NCA Nationals. Actually I believe last year Timber creek placed 3rd (??) in Large varsity (??) there. I would have to look up results to confirm, but they are pretty talented. Not sure if you are willing to make the trek to south Jersy but it is an option.

South Jersey has a lot, like Washington Township High School, Timber Creek, etc. You can see where they compete as warm-ups for NCA Nationals. Actually I believe last year Timber creek placed 3rd (??) in Large varsity (??) there. I would have to look up results to confirm, but they are pretty talented. Not sure if you are willing to make the trek to south Jersy but it is an option.

Thanks! Timber creek is very talented- I saw them at Villanova this year. I will take a look at results and events out that way. I appreciate the guidance :)

We are from Idaho and had a great experience. We had a few great moms who organized all the food and we got to tour the cowboys stadium and get a team picture on the field. The competition was fierce. We competed medium intermediate. 23 teams:).. But each team was amazing. I would say review the rules and choose your division carefully. I highly recommend it!!

I would highly recommend NCA Nationals to anyone. I have been going for 6 years. But, like Goosepatrick said, choose your division carefully! There is so much fierce competition! If you decide to go I would reccomend Medieval Times, its a restuarant that puts on this medieval themed showed, it was awesome! If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

NCA High School Nationals is a great experience, especially for the first time attending. The atmosphere of the arena is fantastic, and generally its pretty organized. It's great to have novice, intermediate and advanced divisions as well, rather than just one skill level that encompasses all that you have to deal with when going UCA. NCA also has the game time division, where some teams perform in 2-3 categories as well as a separate traditional routine. Lots of teams compete in game day but only one wins however (many times with routines that have mass amounts of cheerleaders and props), so be sure to think through if more chances for a jacket > focusing on just one routine. The teams in each division are out for blood in any division though, so be prepared to be at the highest difficulty that the division you choose allows. The difficulty has to be sharp and consistent as well to get that jacket. Performance is big on the score sheet also, so ensure that the routine is high energy, including the cheer (which is usually a long "story telling cheer". Sometimes the teams just mumble though and no one can tell what they're saying, especially since the judges aren't particularly close to the floor). The majority of the teams competing are from Texas or Oklahoma, with a scattering of teams from other states around the nation. Do research by watching the videos from last year's competition on varsity definitely before you choose to go. I'd also suggest going to a competition or two before competing at NCA nationals (an NCA regional if possible), as teams that aren't used to the atmosphere can be overwhelmed/intimidated.

At the Sheraton Dallas every year(the designated hotel for the event usually), they have designated NCA practice spaces sectioned off for teams to use (last year in ballrooms on the second floor. No mats though, just space to run through formations, clean, etc.) the day prior to competition that coaches sign up for and also have shuttles going to and from the hotel/convention center for Saturday/Sunday. Lots of teams, parents and NCA staff checking in Friday night though so the lobby and hotel restaurants get crazy. The younger kids and lower difficulty divisions are usually the earliest, with difficulty getting harder as the day goes in to night, and game day being from the morning throughout the afternoon (in A-hall as of last year, which is a separate room next to the arena), though depending on how many teams sign up for each division that schedule could always change.

Division wise, essentially the top portion of teams are about at this level:
Novice = Squad standing BHS, level 2 stunts (some 2 man), combo passes to BHS, straight ride baskets

Intermediate = Squad jump BHS/series, half up to body positions or 360 to prep, possible suspended forward roll skill, full down from extension, majority running tumbling to tuck w some combo passes to tuck, 360 basket, double braced release skill in pyramid

Advanced = jumps to tuck, a few standing BHS series to fulls/ possibly one standing full, advanced stunt skill to the top(full up, tic-tock, etc.), used to be double downs but not sure what it will be this year since double downs are eliminated for high schools now, majority squad running to layout (a few to series tucks ok, at least 2-3 running to fulls typically with at least last one being combo to full), used to be majority kick double baskets but with rules change maybe it will be just kick singles?(still waiting on '12-13 NCA rules to be posted online), advanced stunt skills in pyramid with release

All 3 levels will have intricate motions sequences in the cheer and dances with lots of formation changes/floor and partner work, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the event or Dallas in general, and I may be able to answer them. I've attended the event a several times before, and staffed once, though never as a coach for that particular competition.

Hope this helps a bit!

Back