All-Star Nca Scoring Issues Day 2

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This was our 3rd year to compete NCA but the first year I questioned some of the scoring. We were in 3rd out of 10 teams after day one after hitting a zero deduction routine. We hit clean, just could have been a little tighter. Day 2 we hit clean again, zero deductions and execution and energy was way better. We thought we should move up but ended up in 4th. Team that got 3rd had been in 4th after Day 1 (also zero deductions Day 1) but had major stunt bobble (almost fall) on Day 2 and a couple tumble touch downs. They were given zero deductions again. Our Raw score only went up by .3 on Day 2 while the other teams went up by .7. Girls weren't so upset they didn't win but were upset with the drop in placement after hitting an almost perfect routine compared to a routine that had obvious issues. Another one of our teams was beaten by a routine that had a stunt fall on Day 2 and was given zero deductions.

Our problem was that at our NCA regional the judges loved, loved, loved our routine and then at Dallas ....hated it, hated it, hated everything about it. Yet ... it was the same routine. How do you work with that? :confused:

ok what is with the zero deductions thing? If it was one person complaining, I would chalk it up to sore losing. But with multiple people complaining, what is the deal? Do they score deductions differently or what?

ok what is with the zero deductions thing? If it was one person complaining, I would chalk it up to sore losing. But with multiple people complaining, what is the deal? Do they score deductions differently or what?

I dont think so. Last year everyone in my division kind of had i wont say "rough" day 2 but everyone had issues and my team had a bad day 1 and GREAT day 2. Everyone else was given their proper deductions except the team that won. We lost by .3 and they should've had .75 in deductions, but came out with 0. It's just frustrating because it's not like the deductions could've been easily missed. They were a talented team regardless and were very nice to us and had they actually hit i would've been so happy for 2nd(which i am now) but idk it's just one of those things that just stays in the back of my mind.

Before I say this, I must say that it is not intended to offend anyone or any team- just my own observation.

Specifically in medium coed, I believe that some team's raw scores were higher than they deserved. Ina certain instance, "gym A" may have been much cleaner (which affects execution, not difficulty factor), but "gym B" out-skilled "A" and received a much lower raw score.
I do know cleanliness is a very large factor on a Varsity score sheet- but I though that affected your execution score, not raw. Can somebody shed some light on this?

Before I say this, I must say that it is not intended to offend anyone or any team- just my own observation.

Specifically in medium coed, I believe that some team's raw scores were higher than they deserved. Ina certain instance, "gym A" may have been much cleaner (which affects execution, not difficulty factor), but "gym B" out-skilled "A" and received a much lower raw score.
I do know cleanliness is a very large factor on a Varsity score sheet- but I though that affected your execution score, not raw. Can somebody shed some light on this?
Execution is part of your raw score.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Raw is everything except deductions. Difficulty, execution, overall impression, the only difference between raw score and actual score is the deductions

Raw is everything except deductions. Difficulty, execution, overall impression, the only difference between raw score and actual score is the deductions

I agree, I'm surprised at how many people think otherwise.
The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

People are too hung up on the ice skating raw scores, where it's actually your pre-calculated difficulty score. Which I do wish we had, by the way.

Cp's team was a hot mess day 2, so I have no complaints on scoring and felt the rankings were appropriate. I think the majority of the people truly do understand raw score, however, we are all confused as to the fine line between an actual bobble and execution. Cp's team had a stunt group go into a full up, the flyer bent her knee, they went down to half on one side, and pressed back up to full. It was a front/center group and very obvious, a great save, but no deduction. HOWEVER, it did appear the raw score reflected that in execution. We, also, had 2 flyers doing the back stroke getting their balance and saved, and again, no deduction. When these types of things have happened at other Varsity comps, deductions have been given, NCA seemed to be a lot more forgiving with deductions, but like I said before, I felt as though it was reflected in raw scores. When I think of "execution" I think of overall sharpness and did they perform it with energy. As someone that truly trusts the judges, but would like to understand the scoring more, can you shed some light as to why those examples would be execution vs. deductions? I may be wrong, but I think this is where many parents/spectators get confused. And I agree, retiredl5cheer, a pre-calculated difficulty score would be great.

They do better the second day. "Raw score" is not exclusively difficulty, it is simply the team's score before deductions. That includes subjective elements which can fluctuate significantly from performance to performance.
Just having this very discussion with my husband - not going very well. Maybe we should not discuss scoresheets after a few glasses of wine.

People are too hung up on the ice skating raw scores, where it's actually your pre-calculated difficulty score. Which I do wish we had, by the way.
That's what I thought it was like. I wish scoring was more similar to gymnastics in that we had a d-score and then a seperate execution score.

Back