All-Star Nca Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ever hear the expression one bad apple spoils the whole barrel? Coaches should be extinguishing the negatively immediately and not fueling it, and once that type of behavior is tolerated it often leads to more of the same. Perception is reality online, so whether it is 3, 13 or 33 it can get retweeted, screen shot etc.
I get it I feel it, I promise I do, but like I said it's up to you to let one be the face for an entire team, I know people on teams who would tweet crazy things and I know some from the same team who would never take the time out of their day to ridicule another team. A lot of people say "this teAm" "that team" instead of saying "some athletes from this team".
But I definitely agree coaches shouldn't be in on trash talking, don't talk down on children. That's just plain wrong. Coaches should honestly keep the professional stance. The athletes should too.... but I pretty sure you guys know what I'm about to say lol

I have no idea which athletes or coaches were involved, but find it odd and kind of sad. Same program had at least one lower level win with a fall, and they were proud enough to celebrate that. I feel like coaches should be well versed in hitting the score sheets...and athletes at that level should be aware of scoring as well. While I get that there could be some expectation that Peach's score might go down instead of up for day 2, it seemed mathematically unlikely that Aces' would go up enough to overcome the difference, so I don't get why there was any surprise. I guess not making it to second could have been iffy, but I didn't see complaints about that. Hitting clean both days is a huge accomplishment, and at least I did see some twitter response to that positive!

ETA: I realized that I'm presupposing that said athletes knew the day one scores... which I guess they might not have. But the coaches would have/should have known.

Last edited:
I have no idea which athletes or coaches were involved, but find it odd and kind of sad. Same program had at least one lower level win with a fall, and they were proud enough to celebrate that. I feel like coaches should be well versed in hitting the score sheets...and athletes at that level should be aware of scoring as well. While I get that there could be some expectation that Peach's score might go down instead of up for day 2, it seemed mathematically unlikely that Aces' would go up enough to overcome the difference, so I don't get why there was any surprise. I guess not making it to second could have been iffy, but I didn't see complaints about that. Hitting clean both days is a huge accomplishment, and at least I did see some twitter response to that positive!
I'll state my thing about this. I completely agree w coaches and athletes being educated about scoring but each comp scores differently so it's difficult.
peach's stunts aren't appealing to me but they definitely have some type of difficulty there, their routine is top notch (for their division) and Aces can't compare right now, I would've loved to see Aces to win NCA but even I knew it wasn't happening. It's time for some people to come back to reality. Aces are lacking a bit right now. A lot of people need to understand, a hit never guarantees a win.

5 teams scored higher than Aces in stunt difficulty, including Peach. 10 teams had the same score as them.

It wouldn't have been talked about as much if the coach hadn't joined in on the bashing. Kids are one thing, but really? And this isn't the first time we've seen this from this team.

ETA: plus there is a ton more to the scoresheet than stunts

I get that teams scored higher. But that was one set of judges at one competition. What I saw was a lot of teams that do not go into a body position immediately. I saw a lot of counts (sometimes 8) at smush before they did a skill. To me, that if not effective stunting. That gives you a lot of time to get your balance and grips correct. It is much harder to go into an immediate position. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I'll state my thing about this. I completely agree w coaches and athletes being educated about scoring but each comp scores differently so it's difficult.
peach's stunts aren't appealing to me but they definitely have some type of difficulty there, their routine is top notch (for their division) and Aces can't compare right now, I would've loved to see Aces to win NCA but even I knew it wasn't happening. It's time for some people to come back to reality. Aces are lacking a bit right now. A lot of people need to understand, a hit never guarantees a win.
Completely agree. I'm just thinking that once Day 1 scores were available it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. Though I do remember the days when a clean hit at NCA was a thing... so maybe the complaints are about how scoring has changed. I'll admit I also don't love that the bobbles and omissions aren't deductions any longer, and kind of get absorbed into the mysterious execution/overall score.

Completely agree. I'm just thinking that once Day 1 scores were available it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. Though I do remember the days when a clean hit at NCA was a thing... so maybe the complaints are about how scoring has changed. I'll admit I also don't love that the bobbles and omissions aren't deductions any longer, and kind of get absorbed into the mysterious execution/overall score.
Lol, I actually very upset that bobbles and omissions aren't deducted anymore. It's not a hit at all. they took it out because some bobbles are hard to determine wether it was a bobble or a simple hand misplacement. But the cheer world is starting to baby athletes a lot more nowadays. It's annoying.

I get that teams scored higher. But that was one set of judges at one competition. What I saw was a lot of teams that do not go into a body position immediately. I saw a lot of counts (sometimes 8) at smush before they did a skill. To me, that if not effective stunting. That gives you a lot of time to get your balance and grips correct. It is much harder to go into an immediate position. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Sorry to double post. Interesting perspective. I can see what you're saying, but also saw some simplifications on Aces... though I admit to not knowing how they've been performing or scoring elsewhere. So is your preference for difficulty is in the quickness/smoothness of the routine? Just in stunts? Or on tumbling/jumps/transitions as well? I could maybe be on board with that... but the pauses between also add to the cleanness no? And I'll be honest, I thought that Peach's routine was overall more clean/quick... but I didn't watch videos more than once, so it was an overall impression.

Sorry to double post. Interesting perspective. I can see what you're saying, but also saw some simplifications on Aces... though I admit to not knowing how they've been performing or scoring elsewhere. So is your preference for difficulty is in the quickness/smoothness of the routine? Just in stunts? Or on tumbling/jumps/transitions as well? I could maybe be on board with that... but the pauses between also add to the cleanness no? And I'll be honest, I thought that Peach's routine was overall more clean/quick... but I didn't watch videos more than once, so it was an overall impression.

Oh, this isn't an Aces - Peach thing. I'm talking in general. I like to see immediate body position, because, I, as a former flyer, know that it is harder. It is much easier to stay smushed and do a skill. It is easier to time correctly, too. Going to immediate is harder with grips and timing. It's way easier to fall-plain and simple.
I think LJ has the best routine this season. I think M5 has the most talent. I personally don't like any of the usual players routines this year, including Aces. I think Aces have been doing the same thing for 6 years now in a different order and it hasn't worked then, so why would it work now? Peach, on the other hand, always has the same routine in different variations, and it works for them. But it is so boring. I like variety, innovation, creativeness. Probably why I am a die hard WCSS and TGLC fan - it's entertaining.

I would hope not only stunts is why people think aces lost? Their standing tumbling plays a vital role in why they didn't win either. But I agree w Teacher Mom, stunts that take forever instead of consistency will definitely not give you a good store. It's cool that you can hit that high to high tic toc, but if it takes you an entire 8-count, there's a problem.

Not so much as excuses but you have to understand everyone doesn't think like you and I. I'd love to live in a world where there's no trash talking but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, nor can you stop people from expressing their feelings.

Quick question... if you own a gym (this is for anyone who wants to reply) would you remove a child from your gym for saying "team xyz is terrible, they drop every stunt at every comp"? First part is an opinion and the second part can possibly be a fact.

Our gym has a VERY strict policy regarding social media and it is followed. If it ties back to an athlete, parent, or coach follow up occurs with the staff depending on the situation. Sportsmanship is also taken very seriously by our gym. Parental and athlete expectations are laid out and consequences for behavior that is deemed inappropriate and I have seen action taken place. While expectations and consequences are clearly laid out for negative behavior, POSITIVE expectations are also made clear. It breeds a different culture and I think more gyms are turning to this.

By the way saying BE MORE and BE THE CHANGE It is not a matter of understanding that everyone does not think the same. Many people take the simpler route of being negative... sad for them. I. No you can't stop people from expressing themselves but you can make the change for yourself and be the model of how things should be and call people out when they are just trash talking and not take excuse it as herd mentality. Your point earlier was people should not be complaining about the trash talking and I'm sorry I disagree... we should be calling them out ... make the stand and work to make such behavior not okay as a community of this sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, this isn't an Aces - Peach thing. I'm talking in general. I like to see immediate body position, because, I, as a former flyer, know that it is harder. It is much easier to stay smushed and do a skill. It is easier to time correctly, too. Going to immediate is harder with grips and timing. It's way easier to fall-plain and simple.
I think LJ has the best routine this season. I think M5 has the most talent. I personally don't like any of the usual players routines this year, including Aces. I think Aces have been doing the same thing for 6 years now in a different order and it hasn't worked then, so why would it work now? Peach, on the other hand, always has the same routine in different variations, and it works for them. But it is so boring. I like variety, innovation, creativeness. Probably why I am a die hard WCSS and TGLC fan - it's entertaining.
**going to relook at LJ and M5.

to be quite honest aces should be happy with their placement, because if lady jags and/or A team would have hit, they might have not placed top 3 at all.
aces routine just isnt as difficult as some others in medium senior, they almost have to hit just to be considered for top 3, where as i think teams like peach and a team could have minor deductions and still place above teams who hit.

Lady jags has a very clean and appealing routine this season, and i think their stunts hit the scoresheet really well, but they lack in running tumbling. I honestly think if lady jags could pull some strong tumblers from large coed, they would dominate medium senior at some point.

Back